A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

PeterA5145

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by PeterA5145 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00
avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 At time 12:00 on the west bound video there is a truck caught in the T1 left turn only lane waiting to move right into the through lanes; I can see this being a regular problem. Although there is a sign (about 100 metres back) showing the three lane layout I think it is going to be missed by a lot of drivers. First the sign is on the right in the central island so could easily be obscured by a large vehicle in lane 2 and second it really doesn't give lane 1 through drivers (as in the truck in the video) enough time to react and move right for the through lanes.
Strikes me as another 'designer congestion' problem to me. Surely two lanes onto the M56 were needed here. But I don't like that T junction full stop.
An additional lane does open up on the right about 100 yards or so before the junction. But I would have thought it made more sense to have the extra lane start on the left, so both of the main running lanes could continue forward towards the M56. I can see there being massive tailbacks both from that junction and the Styal Road one at rush hours.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

PeterA5145 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:38
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00
avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:46 At time 12:00 on the west bound video there is a truck caught in the T1 left turn only lane waiting to move right into the through lanes; I can see this being a regular problem. Although there is a sign (about 100 metres back) showing the three lane layout I think it is going to be missed by a lot of drivers. First the sign is on the right in the central island so could easily be obscured by a large vehicle in lane 2 and second it really doesn't give lane 1 through drivers (as in the truck in the video) enough time to react and move right for the through lanes.
Strikes me as another 'designer congestion' problem to me. Surely two lanes onto the M56 were needed here. But I don't like that T junction full stop.
An additional lane does open up on the right about 100 yards or so before the junction. But I would have thought it made more sense to have the extra lane start on the left, so both of the main running lanes could continue forward towards the M56. I can see there being massive tailbacks both from that junction and the Styal Road one at rush hours.
I have a sneaking suspicion that MAG paid for that junction and thus had influence into its design. It's the only explanation for the entire A555 becoming secondary to the airport.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
si404

Post by si404 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 09:01See (A580) at Swinton.
That's a mainline (M61 continues one junction to it, ditto the A666(M) to the M60) rather than slips/spur. And about the only place that has it - M23 J9 being another bracketed place (though it's a spur of the M23 meeting a spur of the A23, which might explain it) but M1 J10 (before the spur was downgraded), M1 J21A, M4 J4, M25 J4, M56 J3 as well as M56 J7 all have motorway spurs to another junction with the road number is signed without brackets.

It seems the more consistent thing to do is to not follow the rules and not have brackets. ;)
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15Also the A538 arguably should go back to being non-primary now but no one thinks on strategic terms do they?
It also requires collaboration - Highways England/Trafford (at J6/approaching J6 from Alty) and Manchester (from J6 to under the airport) have had nothing much to do with the new road. And Cheshire East need to realise that the new road past Manchester Airport that isn't in their patch, but is part of a scheme they've been involved with renders the older road under Manchester Airport less important.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

si404 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 13:46
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 09:01See (A580) at Swinton.
That's a mainline (M61 continues one junction to it, ditto the A666(M) to the M60) rather than slips/spur.
It seems the more consistent thing to do is to not follow the rules and not have brackets. ;)
M60 anti-clockwise to A580 isn't a mainline though, and is signed consistently as (A580).

The A556 and A555 examples are more deserving of brackets in this case as you at least pass through another junction decision point before joining the A road in question - the Bowdon Interchange and T2 Roundabout respectively. You just go straight from the M60 to A580, albeit on a slip road that goes on for a very, very long time.

As with most things in British sign design, this is the kind of mess that no-one actually has an answer for.
Bryn

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57 If you look closely you'll notice that the road dips at this point and you'll see a yellow tower in the central reserve (which is part of the landing light array for runway 05R which is the main arrival runway at Manchester for +80% of the time). The "low" height of the landing light is a tell tale as to how close to the runway threshold the road is. Locals are used to driving on the old Ringway Road and and seeing arriving aircraft passing over the road at little more than 100ft. the new road alignment takes the road even closer to the end of the runway. I'm sure it won't be long before some posts a video of a drive on the new road which includes an arriving aircraft in the frame. For those that haven't seen it before it can be quite an alarming sight.
An aircraft taking off (contrary to the usual flow) is visible from 7:48 to 8:12 in RickyB_uk's westbound video, but from a disappointingly large distance.

It's a mild surprise that there are no trams in either video.

In 1957 a Viscount crashed into houses on Shadowmoss Road:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 7-12736024
si404

Post by si404 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 14:51M60 anti-clockwise to A580 isn't a mainline though, and is signed consistently as (A580).
:confused:
There's no brackets on the half mile,200 yds or diverge gantries.

OK, there's brackets on the RCS on the slip road. But we were talking directional signage.

I'm not saying you are wrong about the rules, nor that the rules are wrong, merely pointing out that not having brackets is the consistent thing when motorway spurs are involved, with very few exceptions that follow the actual rules!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

My mistake, I still had the old signs in memory which did have brackets.

https://goo.gl/maps/qpVqUgSRuzz

Of course if we were going to be super pedantic by virtue of having their own junctions midway along things like the Airport spur should probably strictly speaking be something like A555(M) or M561.

Don't forget the (A664) Slattocks Link Road...
Bryn

si404

Post by si404 »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 15:35Of course if we were going to be super pedantic by virtue of having their own junctions midway along things like the Airport spur should probably strictly speaking be something like A555(M) or M561.
Indeed. Though surely it could get the M68 number that was assigned to it? :P
Don't forget the (A664) Slattocks Link Road...
That's no spur :mrgreen:

From the SABRE Wiki: M68 :

The M68 number was allocated to the eastern and southern sections of the Manchester Outer Ring Road.

The number only appeared on maps and documentation, and not on signage, and at the M62 end it was signed as (A576). It was renumbered M66 in the early 1970s and M60 in 1998, when the eastern section as far as Bredbury was completed.

The number appeared on a map showing the motorway between the M56 and Manchester Airport as holding this number.

While the

... Read More
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 15:35 Don't forget the (A664) Slattocks Link Road...
You mean the A6138(M), surely? :twisted:
avtur

Post by avtur »

avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57
roadtester wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 09:39 ..... Liked the A40/Northolt style low street lights about 2 mins in on the first one.....
If you look closely you'll notice that the road dips at this point and you'll see a yellow tower in the central reserve (which is part of the landing light array for runway 23R which is the main arrival runway at Manchester for +80% of the time). The "low" height of the landing light is a tell tale as to how close to the runway threshold the road is. Locals are used to driving on the old Ringway Road and and seeing arriving aircraft passing over the road at little more than 100ft. the new road alignment takes the road even closer to the end of the runway. I'm sure it won't be long before some posts a video of a drive on the new road which includes an arriving aircraft in the frame. For those that haven't seen it before it can be quite an alarming sight.
Just looked at the YouTube clips again and noticed there are no warning signs for low flying aircraft, which would seem like an omission; are there guidelines for why/where such warnings would be sited?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 16:14
avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:57
roadtester wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 09:39 ..... Liked the A40/Northolt style low street lights about 2 mins in on the first one.....
If you look closely you'll notice that the road dips at this point and you'll see a yellow tower in the central reserve (which is part of the landing light array for runway 23R which is the main arrival runway at Manchester for +80% of the time). The "low" height of the landing light is a tell tale as to how close to the runway threshold the road is. Locals are used to driving on the old Ringway Road and and seeing arriving aircraft passing over the road at little more than 100ft. the new road alignment takes the road even closer to the end of the runway. I'm sure it won't be long before some posts a video of a drive on the new road which includes an arriving aircraft in the frame. For those that haven't seen it before it can be quite an alarming sight.
Just looked at the YouTube clips again and noticed there are no warning signs for low flying aircraft, which would seem like an omission; are there guidelines for why/where such warnings would be sited?
TSM Chapter 4.

Although given the state of the rest of the signs, I don't think the TSM was to be found anywhere near the A6MARR design office.
Bryn

jackal

Post by jackal »

RickyB_uk wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 08:33 A555 Eastbound from M56 spur to A6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QFU_IPdBlk
Thanks for that. The sign exactly 6 minutes in is pretty well hidden!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

PeterA5145 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 15:17 The signage heading eastbound is rather inconsistent. At the airport junction it just says "Wilmslow, Wythenshawe", but Buxton then appears at Styal Road. However, it has disappeared again at the A523, where the forward directions are just Disley and High Lane.
Approaching the A523, Buxton is signed at 11:21 in Ricky's eastbound video and shown in road markings at 11:30 and 11:34. You may have been looking at the sign at 11:25 which is a second sign showing more local places (though Hazel Grove appears on both).
avtur

Post by avtur »

On the east bound A555 at the Hazel Grove end would anyone like to hazard a guess as to why Stockport is signed straight on at the junction with the A523 taking traffic up to the A6 and turning it left onto the A6. It's like using two sides of a triangle instead of one, perhaps I'm missing something.

Also, I notice that the new road does not yet feature on Google maps, they've been right on time with other recent road developments such as the Mersey crossing and the A556.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

avtur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 18:54 On the east bound A555 at the Hazel Grove end would anyone like to hazard a guess as to why Stockport is signed straight on at the junction with the A523 taking traffic up to the A6 and turning it left onto the A6. It's like using two sides of a triangle instead of one, perhaps I'm missing something.
I'm not sure, but it looks like they've future-proofed a few of the signs - e.g. did you notice in the Westbound video, the Poynton bypass is already on the Oil Terminal Roundabout ADS - with, presumably, "Macclesfield A523" greyed out? It's bound to be some time away, but there is still an active proposal to continue the road north to the M60 at Bredbury, and it is usually cited with a new link to the A6 near Stepping Hill - which would likely become the main Stockport turnoff if it happens. So perhaps it's for that?
M19

Post by M19 »

Why does the inside lane lack a painted edge strip. Looks unfinished. But then the widened section of the A1 western bypass also lacks a painted strip.

Did the run out of paint? Was it another corner cut for cost, as it does seem heavily value engineered with death by at grade junctions.

It's a bit of a B&M Bargains road don't you think?
M19
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M19 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 19:56Why does the inside lane lack a painted edge strip. Looks unfinished. But then the widened section of the A1 western bypass also lacks a painted strip.
Because there’s a kerb. The kerb is the edge of the running lane with no hard strip between the two. It’s not designed for NSL.
I don’t want to be too down on it, because it’s good that it’s finally opened, but yes, that’s the best description I’ve seen so far!

To say it’s been in planning since 1962, the finished result is not overwhelming. But still, good that it’s there at all.
fras

Post by fras »

Whilst it may be a bit of a B&M road, the plain fact is that it's no use having free-flow at the intermediate junctions if there is none at the ends. As said, thank goodness it's now here with all its foibles !!
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

I'm just wondering if Steven will update his page on the Manchester ORR- http://www.pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/manc ... d_(south)/
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 22:04
M19 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 19:56Why does the inside lane lack a painted edge strip. Looks unfinished. But then the widened section of the A1 western bypass also lacks a painted strip.
Because there’s a kerb. The kerb is the edge of the running lane with no hard strip between the two. It’s not designed for NSL.
I don’t want to be too down on it, because it’s good that it’s finally opened, but yes, that’s the best description I’ve seen so far!

To say it’s been in planning since 1962, the finished result is not overwhelming. But still, good that it’s there at all.
The 50 limit is justified given the undulations in parts, it's very short on forward visibility under the Woodford Road bridge.
Bryn