A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

martin2345uk

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by martin2345uk »

How long does it usually take google maps to get updated with new roads like this one..?
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

martin2345uk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 13:26 How long does it usually take google maps to get updated with new roads like this one..?
It has been reported to Google Maps: including by the developers, but surprised it's not fully on there by now. Some signs of progress perhaps: There's a new white dual carriageway appeared covering A523 to A6, but isn't connected up or routable yet - plus they've sorted out the new layout at Shadowmoss Road. There's a couple of odd single-carriageway white roads covering some of the other bits, but they've been there fore a while.

Within hours of opening, the route was on OpenStreetMap.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

RickyB_uk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 13:56 plus they've sorted out the new layout at Shadowmoss Road.
There's another change to come on the ground there. The corner is due to be replaced by a curve. It has been marked out by plastic markers in the grass for ages - yellow for one side of the road, pink for the other, IIRC.
martin2345uk

Post by martin2345uk »

This road is definitely improving my commute home from Macclesfield to chorlton. It’s just the M56 that’s my sticking point now up until the sharston spur junction.
Euan

Post by Euan »

RickyB_uk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 13:56
martin2345uk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 13:26 How long does it usually take google maps to get updated with new roads like this one..?
It has been reported to Google Maps: including by the developers, but surprised it's not fully on there by now. Some signs of progress perhaps: There's a new white dual carriageway appeared covering A523 to A6, but isn't connected up or routable yet - plus they've sorted out the new layout at Shadowmoss Road. There's a couple of odd single-carriageway white roads covering some of the other bits, but they've been there fore a while.

Within hours of opening, the route was on OpenStreetMap.
OpenStreetMap is usually updated very quickly when new roads are opened. Google, Bing and even Ordnance Survey can often take their time to update the maps when they need to. I am aware that OpenStreetMap is open for editing which is probably why this is the case, rather than waiting to receive official documents or something like that.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

RickyB_uk wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 13:56
Google now shows the A555, but only the eastern section. Handforth to Styal Road hasn't yet been drawn in. Doesn't yet show on their traffic layers and doesn't appear to be fully routable yet - trying to route from Handforth to Hazel Grove still turns off at Woodford
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

From the southern roundabout at the B5358 junction to Styal Road westbound has been showing on Google for months, hasn't it?
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 13:44 From the southern roundabout at the B5358 junction to Styal Road westbound has been showing on Google for months, hasn't it?
Yes, but only as an unclassified white road - the mainline hasn't been drawn in yet.

And I've also noticed they have the new section of A6 as dual carriageway, when actually it's just S2.
avtur

Post by avtur »

I keep checking google maps to see if they have updated the A555 but I'm noticing that the definition of anything less than major roads has disappeared, the road names are visible but not the roads themselves. Anyone else having this problem?
Euan

Post by Euan »

RickyB_uk wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:00
wrinkly wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 13:44 From the southern roundabout at the B5358 junction to Styal Road westbound has been showing on Google for months, hasn't it?
Yes, but only as an unclassified white road - the mainline hasn't been drawn in yet.

And I've also noticed they have the new section of A6 as dual carriageway, when actually it's just S2.
I doubt it will be very long before the whole of the A555 is drawn onto Google Maps, but I don't expect the road to be covered by street imagery very quickly. Most likely based on the importance of the road, it could be anywhere from a couple of months to over a year before the road is covered by streetview. This is, at least, what I have observed when browsing Google Maps when new roads open.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

RickyB_uk wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 14:00
It's almost like they are watching this thread! A555 main carriageway now drawn in Google Maps - but only as a minor A-road so far - and they've managed to de-classify the Airport spur as well...
LM93

Post by LM93 »

RickyB_uk wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 09:49It's almost like they are watching this thread! A555 main carriageway now drawn in Google Maps - but only as a minor A-road so far - and they've managed to de-classify the Airport spur as well...
Its been drawn in properly on the map editor on Waze, however its not come through on the live maps yet. It shouldn't take as long as it is doing though, the western gateway in Salford/Trafford was brought online within 2 weeks on Google, it was instantaneous on Waze.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Wonder how long it'll take the OS, who have never shown the A6 Broughton Bypass on the 1:50k as even under construction, let alone complete (it's been open a year almost).
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
owen b

Post by owen b »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 Wonder how long it'll take the OS, who have never shown the A6 Broughton Bypass on the 1:50k as even under construction, let alone complete (it's been open a year almost).
In my experience the OS is consistently slow and a bit rubbish at updating the 1:50,000s for road improvements. Catterick to Barton isn't right, Luton inner ring completion is still wrong although better than their first attempt. There are many other examples.
Owen
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

owen b wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 19:06 In my experience the OS is consistently slow and a bit rubbish at updating the 1:50,000s for road improvements. Catterick to Barton isn't right, Luton inner ring completion is still wrong although better than their first attempt. There are many other examples.
They've done what they did with Bramham-Wetherby and just lazily coloured in the dual A1 as blue, though at least there's no rogue green sliproads at either end. Worst thing is, they'd already got it right once! I have the current editions of sheets 93 and 99, which show the road as motorway properly.

However, there are other differences between these maps and the version on SABRE maps.Sheet 99 shows the A6055 from J52 to the southern A6136 junction is missing, whilst the A6136 between the new junction link to the A6136 (former A1 through Catterick) is shown under construction, despite existing well before recently! Sheet 93 shows the old A6136 southbound sliproad as still being open, and shows the A6055 north of there as being unclassified. The A6108 between Scotch Corner and the new roundabout to the south (ie the part that's now A6055) is also shown as single carriageway rather than dual. The revision dates on the maps are September 2017 for sheet 99 and November 2017 for sheet 93, so obviously the online map is more up to date. This means that in the last year, the OS altered the new motorway between Catterick and Barton back to being a dual A road, and then just re-coloured it instead of making it a proper motorway, just like the section further south that's been open for nearly a decade!
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Euan

Post by Euan »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 Wonder how long it'll take the OS, who have never shown the A6 Broughton Bypass on the 1:50k as even under construction, let alone complete (it's been open a year almost).
Yes the OS 50k maps do sometimes take a while to be updated. At least it is updated more often than the OS StreetView layer though, browsing through it there appears to be nothing new from the last two years at minimum. But also notice that in some cases the 250k and route planner layers can even show new roads before they've opened, such as the Aberdeen bypass in the case of the route planner map. The only layer to show the completed A555 at Stockport at the moment is the 250k. It is quite bizarre.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Euan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 19:29 At least it is updated more often than the OS StreetView layer though, browsing through it there appears to be nothing new from the last two years at minimum.
I assume you mean Streetmap rather that StreetView. The lift bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal adjacent to the M60, and its approach roads, opened less than a year ago, are shown at both 1:50k and 1:25k.

The mainline and side roads for A1(M) Leeming-Barton are shown in the right place at !:50k though some with the wrong classification.

The new A556, opened 18 months ago, is shown at 1:50k, 1:25k and smaller scales.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 22:19 I assume you mean Streetmap rather that StreetView.
Fairly sure he ment Streetview, I don't think there is an OS map called Streetmap?

Doesn't help that Google has something called Streetview too!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The only Streetview I've heard of is Google Streetview. I didn't know that showed any OS mapping?

This Streetmap site shows OS mapping:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

I use it more often than any mapping site except possibly the Google one.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 22:32 The only Streetview I've heard of is Google Streetview. I didn't know that showed any OS mapping?

This Streetmap site shows OS mapping:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
Streetmap is a third party mapping site that shows OS data.

OS Streetview is one of the higher scale maps, no longer updated I think.