A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by Truvelo »

That layout is just far too sensible for a country that doesn't believe in freeflow. In North America the freeflow would go right to the terminal doors. Bryn's layout wouldn't require any additional bridges either.

I'm just waiting until I see Enterprise Way being a bigger car park than the car parks leading from it :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Yeah, I was thinking something like that, or alternatively put the freeflow down to the other terminal:
Manchester Airport Spur - Copy.png
Bryn's is probably better though.
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

Bryn666 wrote:It's especially jarring given that the A555 was originally the "Manchester Airport Eastern Link Road"... to my mind, whilst still rubbish perhaps the T2 roundabout should have been modified to allow a full access GSJ and Outwood Lane rerouted, with the closure of the eastern Enterprise Way junction.

See super cheap sketch...
I have my plan for the whole road haha: (I have no idea how to make it big enough to view properly)

It removes all traffic lights and replaces them with roundabouts, some with GSJ - also some have just been removed. The airport end is now freeflow (Until Aviator Way).
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote:Yeah, I was thinking something like that, or alternatively put the freeflow down to the other terminal:

Manchester Airport Spur - Copy.png
Bryn's is probably better though.
This serves the airport brilliantly but would kill the A555 traffic wise.

I will have to do a more detailed plan of my idea, not that it makes any difference as the T junction is to free up land for offices........
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
avtur

Post by avtur »

Bryn666 wrote:.... the T junction is to free up land for offices ......
And as a result in the future we'll no doubt have to listen to traffic reports about queues around the J5 on the M56 for years to come.

The airport expansion plans will see pax numbers continue to increase in the coming years, the airport is reliant on its road accessibility. I know there is a rail line and the tram but by far the majority of pax arrive by road and from every direction there are traffic lights.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

The new road looked good at the northern threshold of Runway One over Christmas. Given that there is a proposal for a heavy rail line in from the west (together with HS2 stopping in the future at a station situated where today's wonderful Marriott Hotel is located), don't underestimate the ability of public transport to bring large numbers of pax into Ringway. I have used the light-rail tram, several times, to get from the airport into the city centre, also the heavy rail train into Piccadilly; both worked fine and saved the stress of experiencing Manchester City Centre's traffic management schemes (together with not being ripped-off by AVIS over non-existent chips in a windscreen - rant over!)

But I do agree - completing the "Manchester Airport Eastern Approach Road" has been in limbo for far too long.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
avtur

Post by avtur »

Last night I spent an hour or so driving the road system approaching the airport from all directions. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, getting into T2 isn't too bad but the temporary arrangements around T1 and T3 may well cause confusion. The temporary signage leaves a lot to be desired. Exiting T2 there is only signage to the motorway, nothing at all for local destinations to the east and the roundabout sign does even show the new exit onto Enterprise Way. Approaching from Ringway Road traffic is separated for T1&T3 or T2 and the motorway but again the signage is poor. Lots of people not realising until the very last second they are in the wrong lane.

I'm flying out of T1 early tomorrow morning, I think I'll get a taxi to the airport rather than subject Mrs Avtur to finding here way through the temporary mess that exists at the moment.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The plan for T2 is for a new flyover off World Way direct into a modified MSCP meaning you skip the roundabout under the skylink.

I still think a full access two bridge roundabout with some kind of loop road between the terminals would be neater than what's being built but I don't know what the airport wider ambitions are or traffic flows.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

The T2 flyover etc was granted planning permission in 2016. Here's an image:

The plan is a bit of a curate's egg. A nice ramp up to the terminal from World Way, but getting to World Way is the trick, especially with the detour through the business park if you're coming from the east.

In fact the T2 plan is kind of the same as T1/3, in that it's the wrong way round. There are at-grade junctions at the entrances (which all traffic has to use), then GSJs where they're less needed, after traffic has split off. This seems to be because the GSJs are actually just ramps up to high level structures with the fortunate side effect of grade separation.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

The Jan to March area updates have now been published. Looks like the Ringway Road surfacing is not yet the surface layer - which is scheduled for February - March.

The eastern section looks like it's quite a bit behind the western section - by the end of March they will only be "preparing for surfacing" apart from near the garden centre - but nothing mentioned about final surface course.

So no opening of any section before March then.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

For the easternmost section the link still seems to point to the previous quarter's map.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

wrinkly wrote:For the easternmost section the link still seems to point to the previous quarter's map.
But they did upload the new one: http://www.semmms.info/wp-content/uploa ... Mar-18.pdf
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Will be interesting to see if there are (further) delays to this project as a results of Carillion's collapse. The project is being delievered as a joint venture between Carillion & Morgan Sindall. I've not seen an announcement yet from Morgan Sindall saying they will be taking up the slack (like Balfour Beatty have said with the A14 project)
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Two relevant posts on SSC by DiscoSteve:

1) 17-week westbound closure of west end of existing A555, for repairs:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=1745

2) aerial pics of the works in December:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=1746
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

"The repair works will be carried out by the A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road (A6MARR) contractor, Carillion Morgan Sindall,"

Oops
avtur

Post by avtur »

Jeni wrote:"The repair works will be carried out by the A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road (A6MARR) contractor, Carillion Morgan Sindall,"

Oops
There are many road projects around the country which were in the hands of "Carillion Morgan Sindall' until the recent problems of Carillion. Because of the way "Carillion Morgan Sindall" was set up as a joint venture with 'joint and several' liability it falls to Morgan Sindall to deliver on these projects.

Let's hope that Morgan Sindall have the resources to take up the slack on all the projects they are involved in.
Peter_B5470

Post by Peter_B5470 »

Tweet from high Peak Buses

Skyline 199 and service 394: With the opening of the Bus Bridge, on Monday 5th Feb. we will now be able to again serve the bus stops at Thai Fusion and Simpsons Corner.
Formerly part of London - Inverness Trunk road
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

As someone who works at the airport sometimes it's easier to negotiate a rabbit warren at the moment...Starting Wednesday night for 7 nights the A538 is closed near the DHL warehouse complex for works...
avtur

Post by avtur »

Lunchtime broadcast of BBC North West Regional News reporting that this project is now looking at "a late summer" completion. I can't help thinking the reality is it will be almost a year behind schedule by the time it opens.

Having lived around Stockport all my life and after years of waiting to see this road built and open its looking increasingly unlikely I'll see it open before relocating to the sunny climes of mid Sussex :(

I the meantime however, I will continue to enjoy the chaos caused by its construction, I'll be wrestling with the Stanley Road/A34 roundabout within 5 minutes of now :laugh:
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

It's also looking unlikely at this rate that I'll still be in Hazel Grove to see it open!