A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by Euan »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 22:32 The only Streetview I've heard of is Google Streetview. I didn't know that showed any OS mapping?

This Streetmap site shows OS mapping:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

I use it more often than any mapping site except possibly the Google one.
It's the map layer titled "OS StreetView" within the blue side menu on SABRE Maps. Although it is found as a secondary layer within the "OpenStreetMap" option, oddly enough.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Euan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 22:41 It's the map layer titled "OS StreetView" within the blue side menu on SABRE Maps. Although it is found as a secondary layer within the "OpenStreetMap" option, oddly enough.
Gosh, all the times I've looked at that menu and it's never really registered!
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

So, this has been open for a while now. I don't suppose any thought's being given to dealing with how it's screwed up the traffic on the A6? Queue back to Disley this morning where it used to be straight through at that time.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Why has this been designated as a primary road? I don't know the area well, but surely the majority of traffic using it is local? Especially given some of poorly conceived junctions; nobody on a long distance run is going want to use it, nevermind the fact that it goes nowhere.
Helvellyn wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 09:49 So, this has been open for a while now. I don't suppose any thought's being given to dealing with how it's screwed up the traffic on the A6? Queue back to Disley this morning where it used to be straight through at that time.
Another road scheme where no consideration or money is set aside for the terminus junction(s). Having a D2 stop dead at an at-grade signalised junction like this is embarrassing. Surely even a roundabout would have less objectionable?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

danfw194 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 23:17 Why has this been designated as a primary road? I don't know the area well, but surely the majority of traffic using it is local? Especially given some of poorly conceived junctions; nobody on a long distance run is going want to use it, nevermind the fact that it goes nowhere.
I would turn that upside down and say it would have been astonishing if it had not been a primary route. It connects a motorway and three other primary routes, two of which are former trunk roads. It also links to the busiest airport in the UK outside SE England. It's a modern dual carriageway throughout, and partially grade separated. It's of much better quality than most of the other primary routes in the area. It's on the line of the formerly proposed Manchester outer ring road, and may yet be extended to link with the M60 at J25.

Also, incidentally, its middle section is over 20 years old and has been primary since it was built.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

wrinkly wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 23:50
danfw194 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 23:17 Why has this been designated as a primary road? I don't know the area well, but surely the majority of traffic using it is local? Especially given some of poorly conceived junctions; nobody on a long distance run is going want to use it, nevermind the fact that it goes nowhere.
I would turn that upside down and say it would have been astonishing if it had not been a primary route. It connects a motorway and three other primary routes, two of which are former trunk roads. It also links to the busiest airport in the UK outside SE England. It's a modern dual carriageway throughout, and partially grade separated. It's of much better quality than most of the other primary routes in the area. It's on the line of the formerly proposed Manchester outer ring road, and may yet be extended to link with the M60 at J25.

Also, incidentally, its middle section is over 20 years old and has been primary since it was built.
Sorry "danfw194", but I am with "wrinkly" - this is ABSOLUTELY a primary route, being a sensible bypass of the overloaded M60 and linking several of the arterial routes which radiate out from Manchester.

Frankly, Her Ladyship and I don't give a flying whatever about its title - we just rejoice that it is (finally!!! :D) open.
No road engineer has a monopoly on designing junctions which confuse the users - look at the current thread following the M40 wrong-way carnage.
Don't care what it is called, just enjoy driving on it!
We live in Hampshire (currently) and we *will* be driving on it! (We fill up at Tesco Handforth Dean en-route to the Airport Marriott) - our route north reflects Her ladyship's affection for Jodrell Bank)
Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

danfw194 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 23:17 Another road scheme where no consideration or money is set aside for the terminus junction(s). Having a D2 stop dead at an at-grade signalised junction like this is embarrassing. Surely even a roundabout would have less objectionable?
That junction isn't actually too bad (yet), it's the impact a bit elsewhere - the queue this morning, back to Disley again, was from the lights at High Lane. It's always done that at those lights earlier, so maybe it's just more traffic and if those went the queue would just form off the new ones. Still putting the blame on this road since it started right from when it opened and regard the whole thing as little more than a nuisance.

It's queued back from the junction in the evening a bit but not too badly, at least at the time I go.
Why has this been designated as a primary road? I don't know the area well, but surely the majority of traffic using it is local? Especially given some of poorly conceived junctions; nobody on a long distance run is going want to use it, nevermind the fact that it goes nowhere.
A6 south to the airport. As a route it's reasonable to expect a fair chunk of non-local traffic. Regional if not national significance maybe.
avtur

Post by avtur »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04
.... Sorry "danfw194", but I am with "wrinkly" - this is ABSOLUTELY a primary route, being a sensible bypass of the overloaded M60 and linking several of the arterial routes which radiate out from Manchester....
I'm also of this opinion, perhaps there is a clue in the name of the project that brought the road into being, the "A6MARR". :thumbsup:
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

Helvellyn wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 09:49 So, this has been open for a while now. I don't suppose any thought's being given to dealing with how it's screwed up the traffic on the A6? Queue back to Disley this morning where it used to be straight through at that time.
Another road scheme where no consideration or money is set aside for the terminus junction(s). Having a D2 stop dead at an at-grade signalised junction like this is embarrassing. Surely even a roundabout would have less objectionable?
Google Maps thinks its a long distance route from Sheffield to Liverpool (JL Airport)
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

poshbakerloo wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 16:22
Google Maps thinks its a long distance route from Sheffield to Liverpool (JL Airport)
As noted above, the completion of the A555 has created congestion issues in Disley, and it will maybe strengthen the case for bypassing Furness Vale, Disley and High Lane so that the Whaley Bridge/Chapel bypass can be better linked to the A555. The A555 should be the western part of a new regional strategic route connecting the M1 near Chesterfield with Manchester Airport and the M56 / M6.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Fair do's people, appreciate the feedback.

Is it primary all the way to the airport? Google maps' colouring suggests it stops being primary at Handforth, can anyone confirm/deny that?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It's primary all the way to the M56 spur, but the west end (west of Shadowmoss Road), which was fully dualled in 2014, was unclassified and non-primary until last month when the rest opened.
Last edited by wrinkly on Thu Nov 08, 2018 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A roundabout would have meant an almost continual flow off the A555 onto the A6 towards Buxton. The A6 would therefore be queued right back through Hazel Grove in that case and signals would have quickly followed.

It's likely to be extended to the M60 and the argument over that bit will be another Newbury in the making as that side of Stockport is a cross between Tubbs from Royston Vasey and nouveau riche... it doesn't want new road for non local people.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

danfw194 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 17:35 Fair do's people, appreciate the feedback.

Is it primary all the way to the airport? Google maps' colouring suggests it stops being primary at Handforth, can anyone confirm/deny that?
It's got green signs all the way and at both ends. Google are still playing catch-up. Note that they've actually de-classified the M56 Airport spur at their end which is clearly an error.
martin2345uk

Post by martin2345uk »

They still haven’t cleaned the grey masking paint off some of the signs on the new road...
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I didn't know there was going to be an opening ceremony featuring Grayling.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/thou ... rport-road
martin2345uk

Post by martin2345uk »

The cones are all cleared on the A34/A555 and Stanley Green roundabouts and the signals are now active.

Came through northbound at 4:30 this evening and it was completely free flowing, interested to see how it handles 5-6pm...

Of course I came crashing to a halt before Cheadle Royal in the run up to the Gatley crossroads.
Euan

Post by Euan »

wrinkly wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 14:14 I didn't know there was going to be an opening ceremony featuring Grayling.

The road has now been open for a month - that seems like quite a while to wait before "officially" opening the road. Surely an official ceremony would typically take place within a few days of a new road opening?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It varies. Sometimes there's a ceremony on the day of the actual opening to traffic, sometimes a while later. I suppose a main problem is that important people need to be booked a long time in advance and the road may be finished earler or later than expected. Sometimes finishing work continues after the ceremony.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

wrinkly wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 14:14 I didn't know there was going to be an opening ceremony featuring Grayling.

Oh it's cursed forever then :laugh:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck