A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Helvellyn

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by Helvellyn »

Bryn666 wrote:The A560 is only there because the old route through Merseyway is gone, so unless you somehow expensively re-routed the A560 over the top of the M60, Seattle style, probably a non-starter.

Although that'd be a sight to behold.
It's not impossible to get anywhere it goes if the A560 went altogether, but the alternatives are why I've put it in the "cause more problems than it would solve" box, both practically speaking and probably legally too.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

There's the proposed link between Travis Brow and the A6; perhaps if that was used in conjunction with a widened Belmont Way and Tiviot Way, perhaps that could act as an A560 bypass with a local route along the M60 corridor where it can fit in.

Such sweeping changes might not help your despair at urban planning though, Helvellyn :wink:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote:You'll never fit four lanes through J25-J1, the original formation was a mix of D3M and D2M, and it currently has 3 narrow lanes each way for most of its length.
The hard shoulders are narrow (though still quite substantial) but are the lanes actually narrow? If so that is bizarre given they could just have them full width at the cost of the hard shoulders.

In any case, D4 ALR is certainly possible for most of the route using space gained from the hard shoulder and central reservation, which can be narrowed dramatically with use of a concrete barrier. The main sticking point is the railway bridge but even there I believe four narrow lanes would be possible. As wrinkly says, there used to be four lanes through one of the arches.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Bryn666 wrote: Such sweeping changes might not help your despair at urban planning though, Helvellyn :wink:
Despite it going through an undeveloped corridor you're by and large tinkering around with an already lost cause here :)
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Short of finding a way to widen the M60 in the area to a minimum D4, *and* building the A6(M) as a minimum of D3 plus the Disley and High Lane bypass - Stockport is a lost cause when it comes to traffic.

Stockport is one of those areas where serious public transport investment would do wonders, because there is so little that can (realistically) be done about the roads, and I think most of the people who live here realise that.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Jeni wrote:Short of finding a way to widen the M60 in the area to a minimum D4, *and* building the A6(M) as a minimum of D3 plus the Disley and High Lane bypass - Stockport is a lost cause when it comes to traffic.
Disley and High Lane really aren't that bad (well they are at the moment but that's temporary lights), and I go that way every day. When High Lane does jam up a bit it seems to be the lights in the middle of it, a bypass to deal with one set of lights sounds like overkill. What I don't know though is how much traffic is coming from Windlehurst Road, which will affect that.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Helvellyn wrote:Disley and High Lane really aren't that bad (well they are at the moment but that's temporary lights), and I go that way every day. When High Lane does jam up a bit it seems to be the lights in the middle of it, a bypass to deal with one set of lights sounds like overkill. What I don't know though is how much traffic is coming from Windlehurst Road, which will affect that.
Yeah, but the 4,000 new homes being planned for High Lane will change that ;-)
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Jeni wrote:
Helvellyn wrote:Disley and High Lane really aren't that bad (well they are at the moment but that's temporary lights), and I go that way every day. When High Lane does jam up a bit it seems to be the lights in the middle of it, a bypass to deal with one set of lights sounds like overkill. What I don't know though is how much traffic is coming from Windlehurst Road, which will affect that.
Yeah, but the 4,000 new homes being planned for High Lane will change that ;-)
Wonderful :(
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

jackal wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:You'll never fit four lanes through J25-J1, the original formation was a mix of D3M and D2M, and it currently has 3 narrow lanes each way for most of its length.
The hard shoulders are narrow (though still quite substantial) but are the lanes actually narrow? If so that is bizarre given they could just have them full width at the cost of the hard shoulders.
Depends which bit.

J25 to J27 was originally built as D2M, and later widened to D3M in 2000 when completion of the ring was approaching. If I remember correctly this is full quality widening, with full width lanes and hard shoulders, until near J27.

Approaching and through J27 it has to fit on the original viaduct and the lanes and hard shoulders are narrow and the hard shoulders are striped off.

J27 to J1 was built as D3M and the lanes are full width but the hard shoulders are narrow or missing in places because of the very difficult site, passing adjacent to the sandstone cliff, under the A6 by a bridge that was partially rebuilt for the motorway, and under the railway viaduct. So far as they exist the hard shoulders are now striped off - I think this dates from the 2000 alterations.

Inside J1 was originally D2M, later widened to 3 lanes within the existing bridges (whether in 2000 or earlier I forget). The lanes and hard shoulders are narrow. In the middle of the junction the hard shoulders are striped off.
si404

Post by si404 »

Jeni wrote:Stockport is one of those areas where serious public transport investment would do wonders, because there is so little that can (realistically) be done about the roads, and I think most of the people who live here realise that.
Sheffield's tram train trial needs to start soon, so Stockport can start really pushing their tram-train strategy to be enacted.

Phase 1 is Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple and Stockport (via Ashburys)
Phase 2 is Stockport to Altrincham and Manchester Airport
Phase 3 is East Didsbury to Stockport and Hazel Grove
Phase 4 is a direct Marple-Stockport route.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

si404 wrote:
Jeni wrote:Stockport is one of those areas where serious public transport investment would do wonders, because there is so little that can (realistically) be done about the roads, and I think most of the people who live here realise that.
Sheffield's tram train trial needs to start soon, so Stockport can start really pushing their tram-train strategy to be enacted.
https://anonw.files.wordpress.com/2015/ ... trains.jpg

Phase 1 is Piccadilly to Rose Hill Marple and Stockport (via Ashburys)
Phase 2 is Stockport to Altrincham and Manchester Airport
Phase 3 is East Didsbury to Stockport and Hazel Grove
Phase 4 is a direct Marple-Stockport route.
With the recent announcements regarding the large housing development in High Lane, I believe* that a prerequisite of that is extending the tram-train route from Marple to High Lane.

* I haven't directly seen a source, but I have no reason to doubt it.
si404

Post by si404 »

Jeni wrote:With the recent announcements regarding the large housing development in High Lane, I believe* that a prerequisite of that is extending the tram-train route from Marple to High Lane.

Indeed - and probably also on to Middlewood so that that station can serve High Lane rather than the middle of a wood. And maybe a tram extension from Hazel Grove to High Lane too.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

si404 wrote:
Jeni wrote:With the recent announcements regarding the large housing development in High Lane, I believe* that a prerequisite of that is extending the tram-train route from Marple to High Lane.

Indeed - and probably also on to Middlewood so that that station can serve High Lane rather than the middle of a wood. And maybe a tram extension from Hazel Grove to High Lane too.
Although if it's going to effectively re-lay the track that's now just a stub to Rose Hill going to Middlewood in order to have an interchange with the railway may make sense.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

The Manchester Evening News is reporting today that the A523 Poynton Relief Road is about to get the green light:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... d-12409072
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

PeterA5145 wrote:The Manchester Evening News is reporting today that the A523 Poynton Relief Road is about to get the green light:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... d-12409072
I've been dying for this stretch of road for so long! Without it the A555 is still useless to me even with the extension to the airport.
Peter_B5470

Post by Peter_B5470 »

From High Peak Buses website

Buxton Road (A6), High Lane (31st January 2017 until further notice)
Affected services: Skyline 199, 394
Due to the closure of a section of the A6 on High Lane to accommodate works on the A6 Manchester Airport Relief Road (A6MARR) services will be temporarily diverted onto a new stretch of road from just above Norbury Hollow Road to Hazel Grove Golf Club returning to Buxton Road just above Yew Tree Avenue.

Due to the diversion we will not be able to serve the bus stops at Norbury Hollow (Thai Fusion) or Mill Lane (Simpsons Corner).
We will also not be able to serve the southbound bus stop at Hazel Grove Golf Club but we will serve the temporary bus stop opposite Hazel Grove Police Station. 

Who will be the first Sabre member to travel on the new section?
Formerly part of London - Inverness Trunk road
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Peter_B5470 wrote: Who will be the first Sabre member to travel on the new section?
There's no excuse for it not to be me ;-) Though knowing my luck I'll be in the office!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Works for this were happening when I visited Lyme Park in early December.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Peter_B5470 wrote:From High Peak Buses website

Buxton Road (A6), High Lane (31st January 2017 until further notice)
Affected services: Skyline 199, 394
Due to the closure of a section of the A6 on High Lane to accommodate works on the A6 Manchester Airport Relief Road (A6MARR) services will be temporarily diverted onto a new stretch of road from just above Norbury Hollow Road to Hazel Grove Golf Club returning to Buxton Road just above Yew Tree Avenue.

Due to the diversion we will not be able to serve the bus stops at Norbury Hollow (Thai Fusion) or Mill Lane (Simpsons Corner).
We will also not be able to serve the southbound bus stop at Hazel Grove Golf Club but we will serve the temporary bus stop opposite Hazel Grove Police Station. 

Who will be the first Sabre member to travel on the new section?
Took a look today, the new section is nowhere near being ready to open! Not even surfaced yet.
Peter_B5470

Post by Peter_B5470 »

Apology for the duff gen - I went past last week and thought there was a lot to do.
Keep an eye on
http://www.highpeakbuses.com/news
for changes to the 199 service - it still shows jan 31
Formerly part of London - Inverness Trunk road