A555 Stockport news

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tibsy

A555 Stockport news

Post by tibsy »

Hi

there was something in the Stockport express this week about this road getting the go-ahead. Not clear if it means the whole lot (M60 Bredbury - Hazel Grove - Mcr Airport) or just the Hazel Grove to airport half. Surprised there's nothing on here about it?!

Tim
nowster
Treasurer

Re: A555 Stockport news

Post by nowster »

The SEMMS (former A6(M)) scheme has been on and off more times than [insert simile here]. I suppose we've become blasé.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It got financial approval in the Osborne's autumn statement, but I'm not clear whether it's got planning approval. There's a bit of discussion in the "good road news" thread where most of the other stuff from the autumn statement went.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Some discussion of it here.

I think it's only the Hazel Grove - Airport section, plus the Poynton bypass, not the link to the M60 at Bredbury.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
xfield

Post by xfield »

Its only the link from the airport to Hazel Grove.

http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/ ... -link-road
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Any idea as to the standard of the road? D2 I assume but what about the junctions?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Haydn1971

A555 Stockport news

Post by Haydn1971 »

I suspect all at grade, it's cheap, generally works well with "district" distributors, as much of the traffic isn't strategically long distance - it's really gonna open up some substantial development in the area and make the airport much easier to get to from South Sheffield and North Derbyshire.
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

A major driver for this is the redevelopment of the former British Aerospace airfield at Woodford, which is a huge site with the potential for large numbers of houses and industrial and retail units.

Anyone from South Sheffield and North Derbyshire will still have to slog down the A6 through New Mills, Disley and High Lane, though.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

The reason given for the work on the A555 was easier access to the airport.
Bob
M19

Post by M19 »

bob@romiley1 wrote:The reason given for the work on the A555 was easier access to the airport.
So this means it should be strategic, which means it shoudl be high quality (i.e.) GSJs but I'd wager it being a series of mini-drag strips between sets of traffic lights.
M19
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

M19 wrote:
bob@romiley1 wrote:The reason given for the work on the A555 was easier access to the airport.
So this means it should be strategic, which means it shoudl be high quality (i.e.) GSJs but I'd wager it being a series of mini-drag strips between sets of traffic lights.
Plus, I feel lots of new business parks starting up on the few green fields left alongside this route and the airport, all in the name of building out of the recession. At least there will be new cycle paths :roll:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The link from A34 to M56 is surely the most pivotal bit - that alone would make a huge difference.

Don't expect much beyond a **** at-grade dual carriageway, if the Handforth Bypass is representative of ambitions in that part of the world these days.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

By just doing this part of it I'm wondering whether it'll do anything to ease traffic in Hazel Grove. Could affect my medium-term moving plans if it reduces the traffic hell on the A6.
jlsmith

Post by jlsmith »

3 or 4 years ago I came across a very detailed website showing the current plans for this route - and it was much downgraded to a 40mph style urban DC with traffic lights. (Unfortunately I have no idea of the link now.) Don't expect anything like the current bit of the A555.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Looks like the consultation is just about to kick off.

http://www.semmms.info/

I just received "leaflet 1" through the door - which is basically just an outline - apparently junction options will be in leaflet 2 to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

The consultation is to take place between 22nd October & 25th January.

None of the junction options are presented, except that it says that;
* Shadowmoss Road will not have a junction (present on previous SEMMMS scheme)
* The existing junction on the west end of the A555 will be completed as a full GSJ
* The existing A34 junction, plus A34/Stanley Rd junctions will be improved.

Mentions only a "Chester Road Link", not a Poynton Bypass - although I understand Cheshire East are looking at the full bypass which will now go across Woodford's runway, not around it as per the previous proposal. The Woodford site has now been vacated by BAe systems, and there is a planned development to turn part of it into housing.

The route is only displayed as Manchester Airport to A6. The A6 to M60 section is not included.

Mentions it will be dual carriageway throughout, with parallel cycle lanes, plus retro-fitting cycle lanes to existing A555.

Timeline suggests Phase 1 consultation until Jan 2013, phase 2 consultation Spring 2013, Planning application 2013, Construction 2014-17.
Last edited by RickyB_uk on Wed Oct 17, 2012 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Details of exhibitions here.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

The leaflet also mentions that you can "follow" SEMMMS on twitter.
@SEMMMSA555

It only has 18 followers at the moment
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

RickyB_uk wrote:The leaflet also mentions that you can "follow" SEMMMS on twitter.
@SEMMMSA555

It only has 18 followers at the moment
Must be stuck behind a tractor...
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

The consultation has just been declared open. Junction options have also now been published on the website.

In summary, if you like signalised crossroads on your dual carriageways, then you're in luck, although they are proposing to turn the current eastern end of the A555 into a limited-access GSJ, and complete the GSJ at the western end. It's almost as if the planners have shares in a traffic-light manufacturer.

Styal Road, B5166:
Option 1: Signallised crossroads
Option 1: Signallised crossroads further north with a wierd road alignment

Wilmslow Road, B5358:
Complete existing dumbell GSJ - no alternatives presented

A34/ B5094 Stanley Road improvement (to north of existing A555):
Option 1: Convert existing roundabout to signallised roundabout - existing A34 widened to 3 lanes on the approach
Option 2: Convert existing roundabout to signallised crossroads - existing A34 widened to 3 lanes on the approach (5 lanes including filters northbound!)

A5102 Woodford Road:
Option 1: Convert existing roundabout into a limited access (west facing slips only) GSJ with a wierd looking signallised roundabout on top (unusual geometry)
Option 2: Convert existing roundabout into a limited access (west facing slips only) GSJ - half diamond interchange with traffic signals

A5149: Chester Road link (perhaps future Poynton bypass start location):
Option 1: Elongated at-grade signallised roundabout leaving room for Poynton bypass addition
Option 2: Signallised crossroads - unclear how it would be modified for Poynton bypass - but this is indicated to be about 50yds west of the junction

(Unclassified) Woodford Rd to north-west of Poynton:
Option 1: No junction, underpass for A555 only, plus cycle+foot links to main road
Option 2: Two staggered signallised T-junctions

A523 Macclesfield Road:
Option 1: Signallised crossroads
Option 2: Signallised T-junction on main road to the west of existing A523 - with a short link road to meet London Rd North. Bridge for existing A523 over A555.

A6 Buxton Road:
Signallised T-junction - no alternatives proposed

Here's the website: http://www.semmms.info/a6/consultation/. Go to "Junction options" for PDFs of the junctions - although the A523 option 1 one points to the wrong PDF.

When the original SEMMMS traffic flow analysis was done, it suggested that most of the junctions would need some form of grade separation to avoid being above capacity in opening year, let alone in a 15-year projection. Now that the scheme is cut back to the A6 instead of the M60, the traffic flows are undoubtably going to be lower, but it does raise the question that if in future the road was ever going to be completed to Bredbury, a load of signallised crossroads would surely be vastly overloaded?

I'll try and attend one of the exhibitions to ask, but I presume the design speed will only be 50mph. This sounds like it's going to be a frustrating road to drive on...
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

There's also a flyby - showing the "option 1" route:
http://www.semmms.info/a6/consultation/3dvisualisation

It suggests that at the airport end, the road will TOTSO off the end of the M56 spur at a signallised T-junction. It will then have two further signallised T-junctions - at Aviator Way, and at the current Ringway Road/Ringway Road West T-junction