Norwich Northern Bypass Update

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Re: Norwich Northern Bypass Update

Post by roadtester »

Almost identical (to my eye, at least) bat bridges were set up on the A11 Elveden bypass which opened in 2014. Wouldn't they already have had data/evidence regarding their effectiveness from that (and I presume other locations) before deciding to spend money on them for the NDR? Or are there conditions that are specific to the NDR that limit their effectiveness there?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

It would be interesting to know if the bat bridges on the A11 between Barton Mills and Elvedon are similarly unused. I.e. is it a "wrong type of bridge" problem, or are they just in the wrong place?
Let it snow.
Berk

Post by Berk »

You cannot simply install features, pat yourself on the back that you’ve protected wildlife, and then be surprised when the animals don’t want to use the features because they find them unhelpful, or they’re no longer needed because they’ve moved away.

Unfortunately, it seems to play along with the green narrative (that road construction is, by definition, disruptive).
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I just watched the report on Inside Out East - quite interesting.

I'm just wondering what the evidence is that bats would use the crossings or whether they were ever tested properly. Or whether they were just a con to get the road built!
Electrophorus Electricus

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Norfolk County Council has just tweeted out this update on the Norwich Western Link:
Two major milestones for our Norwich Western Link project today: we’ve appointed @ferrovial as the design and build contractor and we’ve submitted a business case to @transportgovuk, aiming to bring nearly £160m national funding into Norfolk.
Scheme information here:

https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-and-tr ... paign=Orlo
Electrophorus Electricus

jackal

Post by jackal »

I preferred route D (the one closer to Norwich) because it would make more of a true orbital route for A11-A140 type journeys. But this one (C) is still good for a LA project, with NSL D2 and there are no junctions between the A47 and A1067.
jackal

Post by jackal »

"Norwich Western Link Road gets government funding"

The outline business case has been approved. This is a more determinate step than the HS2-related announcement of funding.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 102833.amp