Norwich Northern Bypass Update

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

skiddaw05

Re: Norwich Northern Bypass Update

Post by skiddaw05 »

The number they've allocated to it is a bit of a giveaway. Had it been intended as a proper bypass it could have been numbered the A140, as this is the main continuous north - south route through the city. But as things are you're still sent round the ring road, and I don't expect this will change even if the western link is built.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think we should wait and see what happens.
jackal

Post by jackal »

skiddaw05 wrote:The number they've allocated to it is a bit of a giveaway. Had it been intended as a proper bypass it could have been numbered the A140, as this is the main continuous north - south route through the city.
Why would they give an east-west bypass the number of a north-south route?
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

jackal wrote:
skiddaw05 wrote:The number they've allocated to it is a bit of a giveaway. Had it been intended as a proper bypass it could have been numbered the A140, as this is the main continuous north - south route through the city.
Even then, that's not to say it couldn't be renumbered once complete.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

jackal wrote:
There's already an east-west bypass - the A47 - and the NDR should serve as a means of linking the routes from the north (and the A140 is the only primary one of those) to those from the south. The A140 route would then form a mutiplex with the A47 between the southern A140 and Postwick. It is a long way round but must be preferable to grinding round the ring road. The last bit to the A1067 would need a different number of course.

Or it could all have been numbered the A1067 (an idea originally mooted I believe).
Derek

Post by Derek »

skiddaw05 wrote:The A140 route would then form a mutiplex with the A47 between the southern A140 and Postwick.
Postwick is the elephant in the room for the NDR. That mess of a junction barely copes as things are now, introducing a major road into it is going to be fun. I'm almost willing to bet getting onto the NDR at its eastern end will be more of an issue than the western end.

Derek
Free the A11
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

The NDR has been called names before (some not very polite) but it has an official one now - the (IMV) rather clumsy 'Broadland Northway'. So there you have it.

The last bit is due to open on April 11th so I'm told.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

The last section was opened on Tuesday evening (17th). I drove along there yesterday about 5pm and it was quite busy with some slight delays at the at-grade roundabouts. The main downside was having to negotiate the horrid junction at Postwick.
bart

Post by bart »

The council will be studying traffic flows at Postwick for the next few weeks to work out how to phase the traffic lights to allow traffic to flow smoothly.

After that they'll be solving the problems in the Middle East and teaching pigs to fly.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

They're only just realising Postwick isn't a very good design?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

skiddaw05 wrote:The NDR has been called names before (some not very polite) but it has an official one now - the (IMV) rather clumsy 'Broadland Northway'. So there you have it.

The last bit is due to open on April 11th so I'm told.
Wot, no politician name? I'm stunned.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

If the road is now open then why are there no signs for it on the A47?
autismuk

Post by autismuk »

roadphotos wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 19:47 If the road is now open then why are there no signs for it on the A47?
Possibly they've not got round to it yet. Possibly if it starts being used as a Ring Road for the A140/A1151 in summer the "Hub" might collapse entirely.
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

Used this road for the first time earlier this week and was reasonably impressed by its quality, yes it’s mostly roundabout junctions with the exception of the A140, but traffic appeared to flow well.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Still no signs for this road on the A47. I wonder if this is going to be like the Bedford signing fiasco (still not sorted).
Berk

Post by Berk »

roadphotos wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 21:32 Still no signs for this road on the A47. I wonder if this is going to be like the Bedford signing fiasco (still not sorted).
Why would you sign a road that doesn’t link directly to it, or off it?? You have to travel on the A140 first. :?
jackal

Post by jackal »

Fluid Dynamics wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:22 Used this road for the first time earlier this week and was reasonably impressed by its quality, yes it’s mostly roundabout junctions with the exception of the A140, but traffic appeared to flow well.
They haven't built the stuff that will generate traffic yet.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

roadphotos wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 21:32 Still no signs for the new A1270 on the A47 even though the junction on the A47 links directly to this road. I wonder if this is going to be like the Bedford signing fiasco (still not sorted).
Berk

Post by Berk »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 20:56
roadphotos wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 21:32 Still no signs for the new A1270 on the A47 even though the junction on the A47 links directly to this road. I wonder if this is going to be like the Bedford signing fiasco (still not sorted).
Only at Postwick, not at Easton (nowhere near).
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

There are no signs for the A1270 on the A47 at Postwick. The signs on approach to the junction still say A1042 as the road at the exit.