A523 Poynton - New "shared space" junction

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

eastmcr

A523 Poynton - New "shared space" junction

Post by eastmcr »

Has anyone driven through this yet? They have removed the temporary 4 way traffic lights that were causing the queues but when I got to the Fountain Place junction, the traffic lights have gone only to be replaced by a double "roundabout-esque" "roundals" (basically studs in the new block paving they have relaid the whole junction in".

Whilst it might look nice at the moment and I have to say there were little delays getting through, there seems to be a lot of hesitation and confusion as to who had the right of way, horns blasting and block paving? How long will that last?

In addition, it's now "shared space" where vehicles, bikes and pedestrians apparently have equal right of way :roll:

Seems a little bizzare to have done this to such a busy junction on an important route.
PeterA5145

Re: A523 Poynton - New "shared space" junction

Post by PeterA5145 »

Is that the junction with the A5149 at the village centre?

If so, any bets as to how long it lasts?

I may have to have a trip out there tomorrow to see for myself.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

Yes, the main set of lights by the church.

Just found a drawing of the works when complete:

eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

And a video with artists impressions and showing how the traffic flows here:

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/environm ... video.aspx
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Looked like there was a lot of queuing in that video...
kc1

Post by kc1 »

The 'circle' to the right looks too much like a roundabout when it isn't for my liking.
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

There's a similar thing in Holmes Chapel, where the A536/A50/A54 meet up in the centre of the town, except there its 2 mini roundabouts :shock: :shock: ...which just causes so much confusion :? :? :? about right of way.
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

bikingbunny wrote:There's a similar thing in Holmes Chapel, where the A536/A50/A54 meet up in the centre of the town, except there its 2 mini roundabouts :shock: :shock: ...which just causes so much confusion :? :? :? about right of way.
I know that one and it's a breeze compared to this one - the "roundels" on this one aren't painted. I only noticed them because of what seems like metal studs in the road marking them (can't be positive, I was too busy watching other cars coming towards me!). The difference in paving colour is nowhere near as obvious as in the images.
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

Even before the roadworks there was much queuing at this junction.

The new design does little to improve the situation. Its similar to driving on a pedestrian area.
Bob
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I like that the video says something like "civility between pedestrians and vehicles can happen - even in London!" - and the film accompanying it is of Seven Dials in Covent Garden - a place where seven streets meet at a circular junction around a monument and, er, normal priority rules apply. You'd think they could have found some footage of another shared space to illustrate their point!

Here it is: effectively a roundabout. Yes, traffic moves slowly; yes, pedestrians can walk through the junction as they wish; yes it has fancy paving. But this is at the middle of a group of narrow city streets with zero through traffic - it's only really used by delivery vans and taxis. It is in no way comparable to the junction that has been converted in Poynton.

Shared spaces are fine but I would question whether they are a good idea at a busy junction of two A-roads.
Derek

Post by Derek »

eastmcr wrote:I only noticed them because of what seems like metal studs in the road marking them (can't be positive, I was too busy watching other cars coming towards me!)
No idea what this junction is like in real life, but that comment is surely the point and it shows the scheme is working as intended. The whole idea of these spaces is to make you feel unsafe and unsure how to proceed, so you watch what's happening around you and thread your way through taking a lot of care, as opposed to charging through because you have the right of way. It is supposed to feel dangerous, that's the whole point.

The nearest we have to anythong like this in Norwich is St Stephens Street, one of the main shopping streets. Originally it was a D2, very traffic chocked with loads of buses. There was a central barrier to stop people crossing and lots of barriers to keep peds and traffic seperate, it had the worst accident rate in the city. It is now a wide S2 with bus stops and ramped ped crossing zones with no priority, all the fences have gone and peole wander across the crossing areas and traffic fits in best it can. The accident rate is now far lower. Thing is driving down ther enow is obviously something to be done with care.

Derek
Free the A11
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Derek wrote:No idea what this junction is like in real life, but that comment is surely the point and it shows the scheme is working as intended. The whole idea of these spaces is to make you feel unsafe and unsure how to proceed, so you watch what's happening around you and thread your way through taking a lot of care, as opposed to charging through because you have the right of way. It is supposed to feel dangerous, that's the whole point.
Yes, but what's appropriate in a residential neighbourhood isn't appropriate on a busy primary A-road. Extending the same logic we would get rid of GSJs in favour of shared-space junctions. Judging by previous threads I am actually more sympathetic than some on here to this sort of thing, but this isn't the right place for it. If the bypass is ever constructed it might make more sense.

With this one, I would predict that either;

(a) it ends up producing such humungous queues that there are demands for a return to signalisation, or
(b) it becomes colonised by the dominant flow, making it very difficult for traffic to emerge from the side roads and pedestrians to cross

Most of the users here are regular travellers who will quickly become more assertive and less forgiving in their use of the junction.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I think this was meant to happen when the bypass was built but someone jumped the gun, to be honest.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

Bryn666 wrote:I think this was meant to happen when the bypass was built but someone jumped the gun, to be honest.
Yes, but the bypass doesn't really bypass the junction does it?

It just creates a new route west to the A555/Airport. The vast majority of the traffic using the A523 is heading north/south to/from Stockport and Manchester - which the bypass will do little to help.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

eastmcr wrote:It just creates a new route west to the A555/Airport. The vast majority of the traffic using the A523 is heading north/south to/from Stockport and Manchester - which the bypass will do little to help.
The original plans also included an A523 western bypass of Poynton, linking up with the east-west A555. I don't know whether that is included in the recent revival of the scheme - but it would IMV be daft not to.
eastmcr

Post by eastmcr »

PeterA5145 wrote:
eastmcr wrote:It just creates a new route west to the A555/Airport. The vast majority of the traffic using the A523 is heading north/south to/from Stockport and Manchester - which the bypass will do little to help.
The original plans also included an A523 western bypass of Poynton, linking up with the east-west A555. I don't know whether that is included in the recent revival of the scheme - but it would IMV be daft not to.
Unfortunately it would seem not - the latest plans show it linking the A6 to the A555 crossing the A523 north of Poynton near the Fiveways junction.

Here's the latest map (pdf):

https://www.semmms.info/140683/435117/A6 ... w=Standard

Edit: Small snapshot:

bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

The new set up at Poynton (A523) has nothing to do with the A555
Bob
si404

Post by si404 »

bob@romiley1 wrote:The new set up at Poynton (A523) has nothing to do with the A555
Though surely, as has been mentioned, the now-seemingly-missing Poynton bypass has a lot of relevance to this topic.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

si404 wrote:
bob@romiley1 wrote:The new set up at Poynton (A523) has nothing to do with the A555
Though surely, as has been mentioned, the now-seemingly-missing Poynton bypass has a lot of relevance to this topic.
Will the A555(Poynton B/pass) ever be built? OK the Govt is making noises re the Airport Section but there is no activity on the ground. A proper bypass of Poynton would start at M60 J25.

The A523( thro' Poynton) is almost finished and will be used for many years.
Bob
si404

Post by si404 »

bob@romiley1 wrote:The A523( thro' Poynton) is almost finished and will be used for many years.
unless they build the A523 bypass around Poynton that the original SEMMMS scheme had, which if you read the last 10 or so posts, you'll see that that is what we're discussing.

I've never seen the A555 scheme considered as a Poynton bypass, let alone called that.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson