Severn Bridge tolls damaging economy

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Severn Bridge tolls damaging economy

Post by Owain »

Ritchie333 wrote:
nowster wrote:Why was it chosen that England→Wales is tolled and Wales→England isn't?
The one way toll was introduced to stop queueing on the original bridge. When the Severn Second Crossing opened, it had to put tolls in the same direction otherwise people would be able to get across without paying!
Indeed. I note that the toll booths on the Second Severn Crossing are a lot further away from the actual bridge than the booths on the original Severn Bridge, so even though traffic could in theory queue back onto the new bridge, it's less likely to happen than it was on the old one.

I can't remember exactly when it happened, but the one-way toll was introduced at about the same time that the new bridge opened; it might have been slightly beforehand. That was also when they painted the original bridge white, quite an improvement on dull grey.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
bmwtastic

Post by bmwtastic »

Comstock wrote:
bmwtastic wrote:The TAX to enter Wales (i.e. Toll on the M48 and M4) is a real issue for companies hiring people living in Bristol to work in South Wales. Our company HQ is in Chepstow area and we often discuss moving to Bristol side for this reason. Surely the cost to run the bridge have been covered many times over by now and the real costs of paying people to take your toll money must be one reason why they continue to charge! :evil:

How can we overturn this? :( Any ideas?? :bulb:
What about hiring local people? Surely you must be able to find enough unemployed people locally. If you are talking about needing more specific skills or experience, then offer them a secure job and help with moving nearer to work and they won't need to pay the tolls. Plus they will be less stressed from lengthy commutes and hence able to work harder for you.

Simples.
If only it were this simple - We have looked for local competent people and the problem is they all left years ago! But in case anyone from Monmouthshire reads this forum, if you know of any mechanical engineers, SolidWorks Designers / Draughtsmen-women, project managers looking for a job, send them our way! http://www.oceanresource.co.uk
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

How much has the cost for coaches/HGV's gone upto then or is it just cars? Last time i had to go over in the coach it was pushing £17!
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
NSWP

Post by NSWP »

Do toll roads like the Severn Bridge have 'electronic tolling' i.e. transponder fitted to you car (we call them E tags etc.) OR is it all pay cash toll booths? :msnphoto:

Plenty of toll roads in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria if you guys want to come over and contribute to our economy. That is the only way we get decent motorways, private venture. :driving:
Cheers..LES

'Adventure before Dementia !'
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

ScottB5411 wrote:How much has the cost for coaches/HGV's gone upto then or is it just cars? Last time i had to go over in the coach it was pushing £17!
It's now £18.10 for HGVs and coaches.
NSWP wrote:Do toll roads like the Severn Bridge have 'electronic tolling' i.e. transponder fitted to you car (we call them E tags etc.) OR is it all pay cash toll booths? :msnphoto:

Plenty of toll roads in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria if you guys want to come over and contribute to our economy. That is the only way we get decent motorways, private venture. :driving:
Yes, we have TAG lanes on each bridge which read the pass inside your windscreen and take the money from your account or deduct one crossing from the number you have prepaid.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Octaviadriver wrote:
NSWP wrote:Do toll roads like the Severn Bridge have 'electronic tolling' ...
Yes, we have TAG lanes on each bridge which read the pass inside your windscreen and take the money from your account or deduct one crossing from the number you have prepaid.

My dad used to do this when commuting over the bridge. I remember being really surprised that there is no discount for drivers who 'buy in bulk' - i.e. prepay for a month's crossings and have one deducted from the TAG each time.

I think this is bad - if you buy a season ticket for the bus or train, you get a discount. I think the bridge should be the same.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
NewportMonmouthshire

Post by NewportMonmouthshire »

bmwtastic wrote:But in case anyone from Monmouthshire reads this forum
You know we do... :D
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

who is in charge?

from the bbc

"Tolls on the Severn bridges are likely to continue at their current level for longer than expected after a new deal with the company which charges the fee.

Severn River Crossings has been told it can run both bridges until it has taken an extra £33m, up to £1.02bn.

The bridges are expected to pass into public ownership by 2017, and MPs have said tolls should then be cut heavily.

Newspaper reports claim that will mean a delay of five months before the company loses its right to the tolls.

The Highways Agency said the date the deal will end would depend on factors such as traffic levels.

The Western Mail has reported that current income levels would mean that the company would run the bridges between south Wales and England for five months longer than currently scheduled.

The newspaper also quoted the company as saying it had been in talks with the agency over issues which have affected profitability, such as a higher VAT element of the overall toll.

The extension to the concession allows for a longer tolling period, as it is the additional toll revenue of £33m which finances the settlement

Highways Agency

The agency confirmed that it had agreed a settlement in principle "which reflects recent tax changes and the costs of introducing card payments at the tolls".

A spokeswoman said: "The extension to the concession allows for a longer tolling period, as it is the additional toll revenue of £33m which finances the settlement.

She said while the company's concession was limited by law to a maximum of 30 years, the actual end date will be when it has collected a set sum of £1,028.9m.

"This will extend the end of the concession period but the actual date is dependant on a number of factors including traffic levels," she said.

'Minimise impact'

The agency said it considered a number of options, including a cash payment, and a rise in tolls.

But it said it "opted for an extension to the concession so as to minimise the impact".

Severn River Crossings is responsible both for the original crossing which opened in 1966 and the second bridge, built in 1996.

In 2010 the Welsh Affairs Select Committee recommended that drivers should pay as little as £1.50 to use the bridges from 2017. At present, the fee for cars is £6.

The bridges are owned by the UK government, but the Welsh government is looking at the impact of tolls on Wales' economy.

The Welsh government wants to take control of the bridges when the contract ends. While it has said it would not scrap the tolls, it has indicated that it might be able to reduce them.

Tolls on the bridges go up every year, based on the Retail Price Index."
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

AAndy

"The Welsh government wants to take control of the bridges when the contract ends. "

I like Wales. I really do. I live there (or here, depending on which way you look at it).

But does anyone know how the Welsh government could hope to 'nationalise' something, half of which lies on the other side of the border ?
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

AtoB wrote:But does anyone know how the Welsh government could hope to 'nationalise' something, half of which lies on the other side of the border ?
And the original Severn Bridge is wholly in England.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

PeterA5145 wrote:And the original Severn Bridge is wholly in England.
The suspension bridge is just one of the structures which make up the crossing operated by the concessionaire - which goes between England and Wales.

AtoB wrote:But does anyone know how the Welsh government could hope to 'nationalise' something, half of which lies on the other side of the border ?
Probably in much the same way as it currently seems to be the responsibility of an English trunk road agency of the UK government.
When the concession ends it would either need some sort of agency with representation and funding (if tolls are ended) from the governments on either side (similar to FETA, Mersey Travel etc, but with national governments). Or one government could take sole charge of the crossing and, arguably, it is of greater importance to the WAG than the HA, but that would probably mean tolls continuing as one government would be unlikely to want to pay the full costs themselves.
jackal

Post by jackal »

The Severn River Crossing plc accounts for 2016 were published today. They show revenue of £103m and pre-tax profit of £45m.

The maximum toll revenue figure is expected to be reached in 2017, triggering the end of the concession. The government has proposed that cars would then pay £3, down from £6.70 currently.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2016

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/na ... -pass-100m
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

As someone who lives in the Forest of Dean I'd be happy to pay £3 going west along there. Even free-flow would be good as well so fingers crossed.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

PM Theresa May wants to end toll charges on the Severn Bridge, but opponents accuse her of copying their policy

Prime Minister Theresa May has pledged to scrap the Severn Bridge toll if a Conservative Government is formed after next month’s general election, arguing that the move would trigger a £100m boost for the local economy.

Plans to more than halve the current standard fare to £3 were already being explored when a public consultation was launched in January, forming part of wider proposal to transfer the bridge into public ownership by 2018. The bridge needs an estimated budget of £7m annually for maintenance work.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/9 ... ap-charges

Tuesday, 16 May, 2017

In a £100m boost to the local economy, Theresa May has today pledged to abolish tolls on the Severn crossings between Wales and England.

If elected on 8 June, a Conservative government will scrap tolls for ALL vehicles using the bridges.

For the past 50 years, tolls have been levied on vehicles crossing the Severn Estuary. The current charge is £6.70 for cars, £13.40 for small buses or vans and £20 for lorries and coaches.

The decision will bind together two economic areas in Wales and England, supporting the Union, whilst sharing prosperity right across the UK. It goes further than the existing plan to halve the tolls by 2018 and will happen next year when the M48 Severn Bridge and M4 Second Severn Crossing revert to public ownership. Both bridges will be operated by Highways England.

"I want to ensure that our economic progress is shared across the United Kingdom.

"By abolishing tolls for 25 million annual journeys between two nations, we will strengthen the links between communities. This will drive economic growth right across the country helping key economic centres in Cardiff, Bath, Bristol and Newport.

“By significantly reducing the cost of doing business between Wales and England, the Conservatives continue to deliver on improving the economic prospects of ordinary working people.

“There is only one leader at this election who will put the economic prospects of all parts of the United Kingdom first. The choice next month is clear: economic stability and a better deal under my Conservative team, or chaos under Jeremy Corbyn, whose nonsensical policies would risk the economy and destroy jobs.”

- Prime Minister Theresa May

The move was backed by commuters and communities on both sides of the estuary during a public consultation that closed in March.

"Scrapping the Severn crossing tolls is an example of the Conservatives taking the big decisions when they’re the right decisions, in doing so, transforming the joint economic prospects of South Wales and the South West of England.

"Drivers using this key artery between two nations, en route to London, will benefit from a £100m boost to the local area.

“Theresa May will ensure that economic prosperity is spread across the United Kingdom and this clear commitment will guarantee that links are strengthened and enhanced between the natural economic areas of South Wales and the South West of England.”

- Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns

"As former chair of the Welsh Affairs Committee, I would like to think this has partly come about because of our work since 2010 on scrutinising the future of the Severn crossings.

"I have long campaigned for the tolls to be scrapped and today's announcement is fantastic news for the local economy.

"I would also like to pay tribute to Alun Cairns who has been very supportive in putting the case to the Prime Minister.

"It shows Theresa May's Conservatives are not a London-based party. We are a party for the whole of the United Kingdom and Wales will benefit enormously if the Conservatives are re-elected."

- Conservative Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Monmouth David Davies

https://www.david-davies.org.uk/news/co ... idge-tolls
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

AtoB wrote:
AAndy

"The Welsh government wants to take control of the bridges when the contract ends. "

I like Wales. I really do. I live there (or here, depending on which way you look at it).

But does anyone know how the Welsh government could hope to 'nationalise' something, half of which lies on the other side of the border ?
With the agreement of Westminster, the Welsh Assembly could take ownership of the bridge and undertake to maintain and run the bridge if, in their opinion, it would benefit the Welsh people. Naturally there would be strings attached such as tolls (if any) would depend entirely on the vehicle class and not on the place of registration of the vehicle or the place of residence of the driver. It would then be up to the Welsh Assembly to decide whether or not the benefits of a toll-free bridge would benefit Wales sufficiently to warrant funding the bridge.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Reducing the tolls such that they cover costs and no more would seem a sensible arrangement. But that should be written into any new concession in the first place. If for example the Welsh government look control some future administration could well see the bridge as an easy source of revenue.

Indeed if the cost is £3 one way and no charge the other a return trip is cheaper than the Tyne Tunnel which is £3.40
ANiceEnglishman

Post by ANiceEnglishman »

I have a letter from a minister of the Welsh Government saying that they will not contribute to the maintenance of the bridges unless ownership is transferred to them and that they would not accept such a transfer without 'a suitable financial settlement' from the UK Government.
You can find any answers you want on the Internet. Some of them may even be correct.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

The tolls are to be scrapped! Didn't see that coming. Great news.
SteveA30

Re: Severn Bridge tolls no longer damaging economy

Post by SteveA30 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-40671900

About ****** time!

Pity our other bridges and tunnels aren't part Welsh or Scottish. They would be going free as well. Other good examples to follow...free hospital parking, free prescriptions, free dental and eye checks......
Last edited by SteveA30 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

As somebody for whom the direct route to the destinations that I want in South Wales is via the A40 I just hope that we see a little less traffic on the Gloucester bypass.