University Challenge Roads Questions

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: University Challenge Roads Questions

Post by the cheesecake man »

Last night's Only Connect had a picture sequence of almost identical pictures of a cat's face!
Euan

Post by Euan »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 00:04
FleetlinePhil wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 14:32 At very much the other end of the quizzing spectrum, an episode of The £100k Drop this week featured two contestants who could not correctly identify the warning sign for an uneven road, thinking it more likely to be that for a hump-backed bridge. :facepalm:

At least they rejected speed humps and wet road as possibilities, and they did put a small amount of their stake on uneven road as a back-up so were able to continue in the quiz. Not sure I'd want a lift off them, though.
Google the Fastest Finger First round off Who Wants To Be A Millionaire that no one got right... it was the traffic lights sequence.
I have seen that one, the question must have just been phrased in a way that nobody could understand properly. I doubt that many drivers would be unable to tell you "red then both red/amber..." if you asked them. Although if the question was in fact phrased in the right way it would be quite worrying.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
tom1977

Post by tom1977 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 Last night's Only Connect had a picture sequence of almost identical pictures of a cat's face!
I couldnt see the colours properly and was trying to work out why the cat had blue eyes
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

tom1977 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 13:03 I couldnt see the colours properly and was trying to work out why the cat had blue eyes
Emergency services lay-by?
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 00:04Google the Fastest Finger First round off Who Wants To Be A Millionaire that no one got right... it was the traffic lights sequence.
Saw that one last night (same episode as someone won the million), 4 of us watching and only 1 got the correct answer. The question was "Starting with Stop put the traffic light sequence in the correct order". 2 of us had the correct sequence but starting with amber as amber means stop, 1 completely misread the question and put green first and the 4th is a non driver but she did get the correct answer as she said amber means "be prepared to stop so red must be first".

Poorly worded question?
Euan

Post by Euan »

I think so. Although I would not have expected much confusion over which part of the sequence to start from whether it should have been amber or red. Calling it a sequence may have been a bit confusing as that would suggest an ordering with a distinct start and finish whereas traffic lights operate in a loop which repeats itself and is effectively endless.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 Last night's Only Connect had a picture sequence of almost identical pictures of a cat's face!
Yep, I got that one okay - perhaps the Calderdale connection helps?
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Tough question on RBQ today. Starts 22 minutes in.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A9Craig wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 16:58 Tough question on RBQ today. Starts 22 minutes in.
RBQ does nothing but tough questions. All the same, the amount of prodding that the team needed to get the answer was quite astonishing. Though the woman (Adele Goras) did say that she doesn't drive. Mind you, Stuart Maconie, who seems to pride himself on being a hoarder of useless knowledge, should really have known better.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
vlad

Post by vlad »

A9Craig wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 16:58 Tough question on RBQ today. Starts 22 minutes in.
That was pretty fiendish but ultimately quite satisfactory.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
owen b

Post by owen b »

vlad wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:59
That was pretty fiendish but ultimately quite satisfactory.
It frustrated me that a single question was dragged out painfully for about six minutes with a clueless team. University Challenge would have got through about three or four starter and bonus rounds in that time. It also frustrated me that (without spoiling it) I had no clue about the bit that didn't relate to roads :( .
Owen
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

A team doing the Only Connect wall tonight seemed to me to take an age to spot the names of Porsche models were on there (Boxster-Cayenne-Cayman-Panamera).
Euan

Post by Euan »

Once I heard the names Edinburgh, Dover, Portsmouth, Avonmouth and Holyhead I was confident of the missing place.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Euan wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 13:03 I have seen that one, the question must have just been phrased in a way that nobody could understand properly. I doubt that many drivers would be unable to tell you "red then both red/amber..." if you asked them. Although if the question was in fact phrased in the right way it would be quite worrying.
I think you're giving drivers way too much credit. I'd bet half don't even know there is a red and amber phase: they just stare at the amber light until it comes on.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Euan

Post by Euan »

Johnathan404 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 23:22
Euan wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 13:03 I have seen that one, the question must have just been phrased in a way that nobody could understand properly. I doubt that many drivers would be unable to tell you "red then both red/amber..." if you asked them. Although if the question was in fact phrased in the right way it would be quite worrying.
I think you're giving drivers way too much credit. I'd bet half don't even know there is a red and amber phase: they just stare at the amber light until it comes on.
Quite possibly!

Most importantly they will know to stop on a red light and go on a green light. Once that rule becomes unclear it will be time to worry.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Euan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 23:37
Quite possibly!

Most importantly they will know to stop on a red light and go on a green light. Once that rule becomes unclear it will be time to worry.
In Luton you could be forgiven for observing that the rule must be "if the vehicle in front of you goes, go, unless it's been red for more than two seconds". Seriously, we really need some red light cameras in these parts, I'm sure it's getting worse.
Owen
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

owen b wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 00:05
Euan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 23:37
Quite possibly!

In Luton you could be forgiven for observing that the rule must be "if the vehicle in front of you goes, go, unless it's been red for more than two seconds". Seriously, we really need some red light cameras in these parts, I'm sure it's getting worse.
Not necessarily in Luton, there have been quite a few times in recent years when I've gone past lights thinking that perhaps I could have safely stopped when the amber came on, only for a further 2 cars or vans to follow me past them.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Euan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 23:14
Once I heard the names Edinburgh, Dover, Portsmouth, Avonmouth and Holyhead I was confident of the missing place.
... Carlisle, Carlisle, Greenock, Scrabster? :lol:
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Surely the border, the border, the border, the border, the border, Londonderry/Derry, Downpatrick, and Larne?
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

nowster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:45
Euan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 23:14
... Carlisle, Carlisle, Greenock, Scrabster? :lol:
I've not heard the RBQ question but would ... Carlisle, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Grangemouth work?
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect