Parallel route to M62, for Bradford / Leeds / York ?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SC2

Re: Parallel route to M62, for Bradford / Leeds / York ?

Post by SC2 »

I was waiting for someone to say that :wink:

I think the difference is it may not be as technically challenging, but on the political side of things I think it'd be far more difficult.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Even without the problem of getting over the Pennines east of Colne, there's the just as big a problem as getting all the traffic from Shipley around the north of Leeds to hit the A64 / A1. Although such a relief road has been planned in the past.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
stu531

Post by stu531 »

It has, although getting around Shipley and north Leeds can't be any different conceptually to that of the M60 around the South of Manchester - although Bradford/Leeds is probably longer.

It really needs it - to get from north of Bradford (say, Keighley/Bingley/Shipley areas) to the M62 takes an age. For such a highly populated urban area, it's got lousy connections. Aside from the A650 there isn't a decent bit of dual for miles.

For me, extending the M65 eastwards would be a great priority and an economic boost. It'd also give some significance to Leeds/Bradford airport if it went thataway.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

I agree about extending the M65 over the Pennies to Yorkshire. Ideally it should go as far as the M1 or A1M east of Leeds, incorporating the A650 Bingley bypass.

Also, I agree that it should go close to Leeds/Bradford Airport because the links to the airport right now are not ideal, either by car or public transport as it's almost impossible to get to Leeds/Bradford Airport via rail.