Roads In Pop Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Roads In Pop Videos

Post by Chris Bertram »

Sabrista wrote:
IAN wrote:Specials - Ghost Town (1981) - The group was from Coventry but the roads are in London, does anyone know which tunnels are featured?
I don't know the tunnel (could be Blackwall or Rotherhithe) but London Wall features heavily on that video as well.

Serena
The video was filmed around the City and Southwark, so Rotherhithe seems most likely.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
crb11

Post by crb11 »

SteveA30 wrote:Madness were filmed in their Morris Minor in Driving In My Car but, where?
I think I've found one shot and probably a second: at 2'27" with a Barclays Bank in view I think is on Parkway, NW1, specifically here The bank is now the Jazz club, and the unoccupied shop to the left used to be Elroys Separates, which is just about readable in the video and how I found it.

The clip starting at 1'57" I'm not quite as certain of, but I reckon is about here on the northern side of Regent's Park.

(Given the band are/were based in Camden Town, these locations aren't that surprising.)
[real name Colin]
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

Green Lane and Farnbough Road in Clifton, Nottingham feature in Jake Bugg's Trouble Town
Even opens with the line "Stuck in speed bump city" which is a rather apt description!
Paninaro

Post by Paninaro »

Can anyone ID the service station at 0:50?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMXYcPnySxg (Roman Holiday....Don't try To stop It)
crb11

Post by crb11 »

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's on the southern part of the M1, given the other information we have. The most obvious is that they visit Milton Keynes. The Charles Wells sign gives some support to this (they're based in Bedford). The motorway junction sign we see very early on I think points to just London ahead, and a single place of about 7 or 8 letters and a single 3 or 4 digit road to the side - that ought to be identifiable.
[real name Colin]
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

New Model Army- Vagabonds has some shots of what I assume is the Westway. Or is it somewhere else? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feeVAo-3SNg&ob=av2n
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Paninaro wrote:Can anyone ID the service station at 0:50?
The interior looks Rank (boom-tish).

My first thought was Hilton Park, but the location of the petrol station doesn't match, unless it has moved since. It is one of that ilk anyway.

The position of that sign looks suspect - I'd say it was either set up or was for directing traffic around the car park.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

It's Immaterial - Driving away from home.

Namechecks the M62 (popular road, madchester scene? ;) ). The video is mostly made up of random clips interspersed with someone driving a Ford Orion.
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

Do we really need embedded videos in this thread? Is it not enough to simply name the artist, song and road(s) involve, and we'll believe you (and if someone really doesn't they can search the video out themselves)?

Sorry if this seems a bit killjoy-ish, but it really is making this thread increasingly longer :(
Last edited by dragonv480 on Wed May 09, 2012 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

The Futureheads - Broke Up The Time
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Dragging up an old thread, but Midlander by Bentley Rhythm Ace is 20 this year, and the video features Birmingham twenty years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRV_eHVuXWQ
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

...and for something completely different, from 2006 The Long Blondes' Separated by Motorways https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx4E1RIT0pY

(although of course presumably they're referring to the A14(M) and A1(M), although the settings are predominantly around the all purpose sections)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Trebeck wrote:
Halmyre wrote:Doves 'Kingdom of Rust' features a road trip from the east to west across the Pennines. The M62 is definitely in it, not sure about anywhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS9KDL4hy34
They had a song on the Last Broadcast album which they recorded underneath the M62, called imaginatively enough, the M62 song.
Which is essentially the first 2-3 minutes of "Moonchild" by King Crimson with different lyrics.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

St Etienne's Like a Motorway not surprisingly features some motorway shots in the video. M25?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3auZFKDBpKg
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

'Live' version of 'Autobahn' by Kraftwerk from 2005 features unidentified sections of er, autobahn.
One hit wonders 'It's Immaterial' from 1986 sing about driving to Manchester on the M62, 'It's only 39 miles'. Can't find a video showing any road footage though.
Simple Minds video for 'See the light' in 1991 featured them driving about in a vintage vehicle in the Scottish highlands, probably around Loch Earn where they had their own private castle.
I'm sure good old Morrissey sings about a motorway somewhere in his repertoire, if not, he really should have done!

Murray Duncan
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Scratchwood wrote:St Etienne's Like a Motorway not surprisingly features some motorway shots in the video. M25?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3auZFKDBpKg
I think I recall that it was the M1, although not the tunnel scenes!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

"Say I'm Your Number One" by Princess has her appearing in an open-top bus on the A40(M) :)
paully

Post by paully »

Mattemotorway wrote:I was told on Friday that the video for N-Trance's 'Set You Free' was filmed around Clifford's Tower in York, and on the A64!
That's the first video that came into my head when I saw the thread title! It's definitely partly filmed beside Clifford's Tower, and I did assume the dual carriageway was the A64 but I didn't have anything to prove it.
James

Post by James »

The Enemy - Live and die in these towns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miErQzz4Y8

Lots of footage from roads around the North West. I assume they spent an evening driving around between Birmingham and Liverpool
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

paully wrote:
Mattemotorway wrote:I was told on Friday that the video for N-Trance's 'Set You Free' was filmed around Clifford's Tower in York, and on the A64!
That's the first video that came into my head when I saw the thread title! It's definitely partly filmed beside Clifford's Tower, and I did assume the dual carriageway was the A64 but I didn't have anything to prove it.
The shots taken from another car might be the A64, but the shots at dusk where the dual carriageway has streetlights aren't. The A64 doesn't have lights like that, nor did it ever, but I know exactly what road did - I grew up just around the corner. It's the A63 at Swillington Common, between what is now the M1 (though wouldn't have been there at the time) and the roundabout with the A642. At 2:19 into the video you can see this terrace of houses in the background - look at the chimney pots. And towards the end of the video they come off the roundabout onto the A63 eastwards - the roundabout had different lights which I also recognise from when I was a kid. (As a child I was very much into streetlights and knew all those near my house like the back of my hand so possibly it's no surprise I immediately recognise glimpses of them in an early 90s music video...)

Had no idea until I followed the link and watched the video just now. What a trip down memory lane! I was 11 years old and probably being sent to bed while N-Trance were cruising along my nearest dual carriageway in a stretch limo.