Roads In Pop Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bfivethousand

Re: Roads In Pop Videos

Post by Bfivethousand »

Catatonia - Mulder and Scully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEhpmuXHmRQ

A few bits of M4 (I'm assuming) and a rural Welsh (I'm assuming) petrol station.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

Frankmusik - These Streets, filmed in the middle of the road under the Barbican...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK8Q5C_x77E
paully

Post by paully »

Chris5156 wrote:
paully wrote:
Mattemotorway wrote:I was told on Friday that the video for N-Trance's 'Set You Free' was filmed around Clifford's Tower in York, and on the A64!
That's the first video that came into my head when I saw the thread title! It's definitely partly filmed beside Clifford's Tower, and I did assume the dual carriageway was the A64 but I didn't have anything to prove it.
The shots taken from another car might be the A64, but the shots at dusk where the dual carriageway has streetlights aren't. The A64 doesn't have lights like that, nor did it ever, but I know exactly what road did - I grew up just around the corner. It's the A63 at Swillington Common, between what is now the M1 (though wouldn't have been there at the time) and the roundabout with the A642. At 2:19 into the video you can see this terrace of houses in the background - look at the chimney pots. And towards the end of the video they come off the roundabout onto the A63 eastwards - the roundabout had different lights which I also recognise from when I was a kid. (As a child I was very much into streetlights and knew all those near my house like the back of my hand so possibly it's no surprise I immediately recognise glimpses of them in an early 90s music video...)

Had no idea until I followed the link and watched the video just now. What a trip down memory lane! I was 11 years old and probably being sent to bed while N-Trance were cruising along my nearest dual carriageway in a stretch limo.
Sorry for the late response, but thanks very much for the info. That's definitely the same row of houses! I'd imagine all the dual carriageway shots are on the A63 then, though there's almost no way to tell.
TheLeeds

Post by TheLeeds »

SteveA30 wrote:Madness were filmed in their Morris Minor in Driving In My Car but, where?
Looks like all over the place in London. Chalk Farm tube station, Africa, Phil Mitchel's garage in the arches on Eastenders, Naples and possibly Southampton Row ?

Elton John filmed 'I'm Still Standing' on the Boulevard de la Croissette, Cannes, inside and outside the Carlton hotel, and on the beach across the road.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.54922 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwVBirqD2s
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

And now, a candidate for SABRE 2019 music video of the year:

M5 by Sports Team - Lamacq played it the other night on 6 music while I was on the M1.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f07M3WH8EU

Lots of shots of smart motorway around Birmingham, roadchef services and some D2M (maybe the M54).
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

I like that, surprisingly, as I haven't liked hardly anything from the 90s onwards.

Methinks someone else drove the motorways though, and the band never left the green screen studio!

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

The London borough I work for has a long term link with a company that makes it easy for film and tv makers to use our streets and buildings. As a result I see our roads on an endless run of music videos and Hollywood films.

A little while ago I got a call from the company about a bus gate I was half way through building that was fenced off with Heras fencing splitting a long road into two until the gate was ready. They said a film company wanted to film a chase scene and would like to open the road up whilst they filmed it and would close it again afterwards. After checking with a few other departments I gave them the go ahead. I asked what the film was and who was in it. They said it was called All the Devils Men and starred someone called Milo Gibson. Apparently he is Mel Gibson's son. Anyway, filming happened and I sent some blokes down on the Monday morning to check it was all closed properly and there was no damage. They found a folding directors chair with M Gibson stencilled on it which one of them presented to their wife pretending it was Mr Gibson senior's chair.

I waited for the film to come out and saw nothing about it. I think it went straight to DVD, so must have been a bit dire. Found the trailer though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilw3BXyqtzQ

A slightly longer while back I had to put in some bollards for a Johnny Depp film, so a car could crash in to them (Mordecai) at a road called the Oval in Bethnal Green. Tom Hardy seems to be about permanently for things like his recent Krays film/ Taboo etc.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Sabrista wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:11 I like that, surprisingly, as I haven't liked hardly anything from the 90s onwards.

Methinks someone else drove the motorways though, and the band never left the green screen studio!

Serena
One can only hope! Irresponsible, one mght argue, but not in the same league as the video for "By The Way", which I have to admit is one of my favourites.

Anybody else think the backing vocal in the M5 song strays very close to Barbra Streisand / Gotta Go Home / Hallo Bimmelbahn territory? The spoken word bit near the end reminds me very strongly of something too, but it won't quite crystalise yet :confused: .
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:00 One can only hope! Irresponsible, one mght argue, but not in the same league as the video for "By The Way", which I have to admit is one of my favourites.
Love that tune. If that guy turns up driving a local mini cab I've booked, then I'll walk!

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

My other pet project!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

The wonderfully 90s video for "Machinehead" by British alternative rock band Bush, features several London motorways. Most of the shots are so fast you cannot work out the numbers.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
BugsBunny

Post by BugsBunny »

This music video for 'Take Me Away' by Stonebridge, filmed 2004, shows lots of nightime shots around N. London. I think there's lots of shots of the A406 & at times what looks to be like the A1(M) but I could be wrong. What dates the video even more than the editing is the continuous line of SOX shown in the sped up background footage. A common find in 2004, sadly not in 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0DOW0f18M

'Hang with Me' by Robyn has a bunch of shots of the A2 stretching from Gravesend into S.E. London. Weird to see shots of somewhere so close to home in a music video. One of the first shots is the B262 bridge over the A2 just outside Southfleet & Gravesend, a road I've traversed many, many times in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3a2qoyONVA
I was 12 when I made this account in 2013, therefor I am not liable for any strange or awkward comments made then :)
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

Another one featuring The Westway.

https://youtu.be/f6OgATZb_ro

Serena

My other pet project!
jervi

Post by jervi »

This thread made me think of Hung Up, and there is a car which drives the wrong way up a one-way street and it just looks so wrong.
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9 ... ture=share at 2:37

Blacked out the "No" of "No Entry", but the two-way crossing ahead looks so out of place, as well as the "look left/right" pointing the other way.
No idea why they wouldn't just film it from the other direction, or use a location that fits it better without the signage being completely contradictory.
Makes me laugh either way.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

c2R wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:41 M5 by Sports Team - Lamacq played it the other night on 6 music while I was on the M1.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f07M3WH8EU

Now there's a DJ without the remotest sense of quality control.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

The video of Ghost Town by the Specials was filmed in the Rotherhide Tunnel & some other London locations.
Last edited by RichardA626 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Plenty of Sabristic interest in Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town":

Not sure how northern the roads are (and to confuse matters there's footage from the US!) but at 0:22 there's a primary route sign showing the A44 between Worcester and Leominster!

There's another video out there that has them stood with a band in a field above Hebden Bridge, and the video I've linked to has footage of Salford and some other Lancashire streets - the terraces with the roofline following the slope of the hill is a typical Lancashire style.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A cheat - no video as such, but the title is pure SABRE ...
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A cheat - no video as such, but the title is pure SABRE ...
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
owen b

Post by owen b »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 19:04 Plenty of Sabristic interest in Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town":

Not sure how northern the roads are (and to confuse matters there's footage from the US!) but at 0:22 there's a primary route sign showing the A44 between Worcester and Leominster!
:) Fleeting view of Durham castle and cathedral from the railway viaduct at 1.45, a view I have happy memories of, as it meant I'd just got on the train on my way home from boarding school. The song was released in 1985 when I was at school.
Owen
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

RichardA626 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:31 The video of Ghost Town by the Specials was filmed in the Rotherhide Tunnel & some other London locations.
Beware of the trickster on the roof