Roads In Pop Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ajuk

Re: Roads In Pop Videos

Post by ajuk »

Pull up to the Bumper?
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 19:04 Plenty of Sabristic interest in Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town":

Not sure how northern the roads are (and to confuse matters there's footage from the US!) but at 0:22 there's a primary route sign showing the A44 between Worcester and Leominster!

There's another video out there that has them stood with a band in a field above Hebden Bridge, and the video I've linked to has footage of Salford and some other Lancashire streets - the terraces with the roofline following the slope of the hill is a typical Lancashire style.
I'd never seen the original video shot in Hebden Bridge - many thanks for the info :D . It would have been shot around the time I moved to the Calder Valley, so was quite evocative. Pity they couldn't have got a bus in the background, although the passing DMU almost makes up for it.

According to the Wikipedia entry, the second video was shot when the single was released in the US, so the inclusion of American scenes makes some sense. I haven't pinned down any of the other locations yet, but possibly some strayed into Yorkshire - the gritstone school at 3:08 would look very much at home in Halifax or Bradford.
owen b

Post by owen b »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 08:54
ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 19:04 Plenty of Sabristic interest in Dream Academy's "Life in a Northern Town":

I haven't pinned down any of the other locations yet.....
I could be wrong, but the bridge at 2.29 looks like the QE2 bridge carrying the Metro over the Tyne.
Owen
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Nothing in their videos to talk of AFAIK, however along with Sports Team, Black Country, New Road are another of 6 Music's up and coming artists.

(NB if you didn't like Sports Team, it's quite likely you won't like BC/NR either)
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

owen b wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 18:42

I could be wrong, but the bridge at 2.29 looks like the QE2 bridge carrying the Metro over the Tyne.
You are quite right, I'd forgotten that one (which I did recognise) along with Durham cathedral as mentioned elsewhere. I don't know the outskirts of Newcastle well enough to spot anything else that was filmed around there, I was specifically thinking of the bits that appear to be Lancashire/Greater Manchester or into West Yorkshire. Brick terraces sweeping up hills? Blackburn, Bolton and Oldham would be the likeliest candidates I would have thought, perhaps along with some bits of Rochdale, Tameside or even Stockport.
owen b

Post by owen b »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:14
You are quite right, I'd forgotten that one (which I did recognise) along with Durham cathedral as mentioned elsewhere. I don't know the outskirts of Newcastle well enough to spot anything else that was filmed around there, I was specifically thinking of the bits that appear to be Lancashire/Greater Manchester or into West Yorkshire. Brick terraces sweeping up hills? Blackburn, Bolton and Oldham would be the likeliest candidates I would have thought, perhaps along with some bits of Rochdale, Tameside or even Stockport.
Thank you :) . Those hilly northern terraces could equally be in County Durham or more generally the north east, though I don't recognise any of them specifically.
Owen
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

The last half a minute or so - I'm sure someone could identify where this is? A half-cloverleaf withing easy reach of central London, probably.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

owen b wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:30
FleetlinePhil wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:14
Thank you :) . Those hilly northern terraces could equally be in County Durham or more generally the north east, though I don't recognise any of them specifically.
The opening shot is the former A677 climbing up Eanam from Blackburn town centre. The scene is completely unrecognisable today, all the buildings have been cleared and it's part of the A6078 ring road.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
BugsBunny

Post by BugsBunny »

The 1985 pop hit "Say I'm Your Number One" by Princess has shots of roads all around London, particularly on the Westway. Street-lighting enthusiasts will be pleased at shots of what I believe to be GEC and Thorn relics. Westway was lit at the time before being confined to darkness in the 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hbnqKdPZw
I was 12 when I made this account in 2013, therefor I am not liable for any strange or awkward comments made then :)
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

Footage of the Swale Crossing after 1:15!

edit: changed url to youtube video
PixelDubs

Post by PixelDubs »

American Rapper NLE Choppa filmed a music video in London, and has this signpost.
I won't send song link due to derogatory language in the song.

SMT removed image as it’s an obvious copyright infringement. Post the link, and a warning, and a timestamp.
you call crashing car on purpose, i call it trolling