Google Earth historical images

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Google Earth historical images

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Google Earth seems to have some quite old aerial images using the historial images part of Google Earth. Surprising to see how much has changed around Chester-le-Street, but what's even more surprising is how much hasn't changed, especially the D2 bypass etc.

The date slider is messed up so can't tell what year it from, maybe 1945?
Mark Hewitt

Re: Google Earth historical images

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Road development is interesting on there, but also of course is the number of railways, which aren't there today.

Like there used to be a branch to Durham from the Leamside line, which followed the A690 and there was a terminal station which is now a travelodge. And the telltale double line of trees still survives to this day near the A1(M) junction
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

Mark Hewitt wrote:Google Earth seems to have some quite old aerial images using the historial images part of Google Earth. Surprising to see how much has changed around Chester-le-Street, but what's even more surprising is how much hasn't changed, especially the D2 bypass etc.

The oldest are patchy, in Scotland they are Ordnance Survey Air Photo Mosaics of Scotland, 1944-1950.

http://maps.nls.uk/os/air-photos/index.html

The dates should be on the plates, they tend to mainly 1947/1948-ish.

They were done as part of OPERATION REVUE. Basically the RAF had lots of aerial reconnaissance resources and film so they did the whole country thinking they would be able to sell to councils for use in postwar planning but few bought them so the RAF gave them away. Usually the council planning / archaeology department has copies or perhaps the archive.

The RCAHMS have a set for Scotland in Edinburgh along with various other images and they are freely available in their search room. You can also access some online.

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/

Some counties like Lancashire (part not colonised by Manchester and Liverpool) and Cheshire have them online on their archive website.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
Birchington

Post by Birchington »

The 1940s aerial footage on Google Earth is incredible. I really hope it continues to update as half of my hometown isn't yet covered.
Cheers, Birchington
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Birchington wrote:The 1940s aerial footage on Google Earth is incredible. I really hope it continues to update as half of my hometown isn't yet covered.
And neither is any of Yorkshire!
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Mark Hewitt wrote:Google Earth seems to have some quite old aerial images using the historial images part of Google Earth. Surprising to see how much has changed around Chester-le-Street, but what's even more surprising is how much hasn't changed, especially the D2 bypass etc.

If you want to see big changes compare the 1935 and 1945 Google Earth pictures of Warsaw.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

This Google timelapse site popped up in my news from another place.

Resolution could be better but it allows a timelapse view of world over the last 30 years. Once you pause the preset animation, you can zoom into anywhere and see how the view has changed (I tried the UK to see an overview of how highway schemes e.g. the M42, M40, M3 Winchester, Newbury Bypass changed the landscape).
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

The new time lapse seems worse now because you can't zoom in as close to areas but instead get a video of places stitched together. Anyone else found how to get the old views back?
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

brummie_rob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 22:16 The new time lapse seems worse now because you can't zoom in as close to areas but instead get a video of places stitched together. Anyone else found how to get the old views back?
I suspect that this is not possible. I am sure that some of the aerial images captured certain people in compromising situations and in order to protect their privacy (and to avoid getting sued!), Google had withdrawn the very high resolution images.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

The modern views are impressive and detailed and I know old satellite imagery won't be as good however the previous historic satellite images were quite decent. With the timelapse you just get a very zoomed out and blurry set of images.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Birchington wrote: Thu May 17, 2012 17:54 The 1940s aerial footage on Google Earth is incredible. I really hope it continues to update as half of my hometown isn't yet covered.
A good chunk of the 1940's footage is held by the National Collection of Air Photography which requires a subscription to get full access to high resolution images. The cost is £25 per year which helps fund the costs of restoration and scanning.

https://ncap.org.uk/

Another site worth looking at is Britain from Above
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
#It has pretty good quality pictures on a zoomable map that are available at no cost for personal use if you register,