SABRE Maps Appeal

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: SABRE Maps Appeal

Post by FosseWay »

Steven wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 09:06
bluebedouin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 20:38 Good body every evening.Not sure if I'm in the right place as just joined today.
I used to do house clearances & have had some old maps that I re-discovered today.A general search doesn't seem to come up with anything regarding one I have.It's Sheet 51/76 dated 1951 & covers Rochester,Chatham & Gillingham.Do you have this one on site,would you like it?
Our 1:25000 coverage isn't actually in the best of conditions really! It's a lower priority than the other scales we have on Maps; generally because they show less area and they're actually harder to deal with. Having said that, yes, improving the 1:25k coverage is a long-term goal, so yes, we'd be delighted to have it donated to us - it's just that it may not appear for some time.
On the other hand, if we can overcome those practical issues, there is a lot of potential benefit in getting more 25k mapping out. It's a good scale for showing minor alignment changes and AFAIK there aren't (m)any other providers of scanned old maps that include this series. Also, because they show field boundaries, they often show evidence of long-abandoned or never completed alignments that aren't obvious on smaller scales.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!