SABRE Maps Appeal

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

irrelevant

Re: SABRE Maps Appeal

Post by irrelevant »

It's a Cross-origin resource sharing check failure. It's been discussed several times (last time here.)

Quick fix - get the server hosting the tiles to send a Access-Control-Allow-Origin header. If that can't be done, then the images would have to be proxied somehow, but I don't know how much bandwidth that would eat..
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Apologies for the delay, due to numerous other things in my life, but my development box is now rebuilt and up and running, and I have added the "Access-Control-Allow-Origin" header, so this should now work.

Does anyone know a quick way for me to test this to see if it's still broken or not?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
vlad

Post by vlad »

I've just checked using Opera 12.14 (which has always had problems with historic maps in the past) and they do now all seem to work.

New Popular and 1:25000 do flash pink before settling down to an actual map, however, and things do seem slower than before. This isn't a criticism but an observation and I'm actually very grateful that you've taken the time to sort this out. Thanks!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

I'm also using Opera, and can confirm all seems to be working fine now! :D :D
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Viator wrote:These are the results I get (test sample: two roads and one place name). I understand that black means "area not (yet) covered", but what does the pink signify?
mapstable.jpg
Sorry if I missed it, but what exact years are:

1:25000, Popular, 5th edition and 7th edition?
And is it true the New Popular are from 1945/1946?
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

"Historic OS Maps" is more or less in reverse chronological order. 1:25K is late 1950s. Popular is 1910s but does have updates as late as 1930, 5th edition is about 1936, 7th series is 1955 - 1961. A feature I've never finished debugging will allow the sheet number and date of the current map you're looking at to be displayed, but I couldn't face retrospectively creating all the data.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Thanks for thet!
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Andrew_S_Hatton

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I am keen to make a (small) donation at this stage (would prefer to make an annual one - if you are a charity - in the way that allows you to claim back my bit of UK Income tax paid - can't think what the scheme is called right now) - I prefer to pay by PayPal for one off donations but by Bank direct debit or standing order for repeating donations - BUT I CANNOT SEE A LINK TO CLICK TO DO IT - might one be added at the head of this thread or separately somewhere permanent and very visible?

Also is there some forum - I can ask idiot questions - the sort that may have been asked dozens of times before but may be prompted for all new comers?

My question relates to maps - I cannot see it in the roads FAQs.

What does 'NLS' stand for please - I am guess the 'S' is for Scotland?

Thanks.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:I am keen to make a (small) donation at this stage (would prefer to make an annual one - if you are a charity - in the way that allows you to claim back my bit of UK Income tax paid - can't think what the scheme is called right now) - I prefer to pay by PayPal for one off donations but by Bank direct debit or standing order for repeating donations - BUT I CANNOT SEE A LINK TO CLICK TO DO IT - might one be added at the head of this thread or separately somewhere permanent and very visible?
There is a PayPal account but I don't think there's a button anywhere on the main site. There used to be one on the Maps page but it seems to have disappeared :| If you'd like to make a donation, contact the Treasurer, nowster.

We have looked into charitable status, but it's doubtful whether SABRE would qualify anyway and it involves a considerable amount of administration for the amounts involved.
Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:Also is there some forum - I can ask idiot questions - the sort that may have been asked dozens of times before but may be prompted for all new comers?
Feel free to ask anything you like. General questions go in the "Society" forum, anything specific to maps in Sabre Wiki & Maps".
Andrew_S_Hatton wrote:My question relates to maps - I cannot see it in the roads FAQs.

What does 'NLS' stand for please - I am guess the 'S' is for Scotland?
National Library of Scotland.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

If you're considering a financial contribution to the maps project, you must mark the contribution in some way so that it doesn't go into the general "server expenses" pot.

Our PayPal account is treasurer@sabre-roads.org.uk. Be aware that PayPal often deducts fees, so we might not receive as much as you think you've donated.

Bank account details available by Private Message (PM).
michael769

Post by michael769 »

I do not think SABRE would have any difficulty in qualifiying as a charity:
Charities Act 2011 wrote: (1)A purpose falls within this subsection if it falls within any of the following descriptions of purposes—

(f)the advancement of the arts, culture, heritage or science;

(m)any other purposes—

(ii)that may reasonably be regarded as analogous to, or within the spirit of, any purposes falling within any of paragraphs (a) to (l) or sub-paragraph (i), or
SABRE maps alone would easily qualify us as a heritage/historical charity, as do the stated aims set out in the constitution. under 1.1.1, 1.1.4 and 1.1.5.

I agree, however it would not be worth the effort of formal registration as a charity.

However it is also possible to register as a charity with HMRC without being a formally registered charity if you have a low turnover, which is a lighter weight process but would give us access to the tax advantages of charitable status.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/tax/recognition.htm

Whether the income would justify the extra time burden on nowster for reclaiming Gift Aid is another matter, is not one for me to judge.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

We have difficulty getting the :censored: bank to sort things out properly! They lost the new mandate twice.

(All banks are the same with "community" accounts. Lower than the lowest priority.)
toowise

Post by toowise »

I have some old maps from various dates (some going back to just after WW2), some are National Geographic Magazine and cover various parts of the world, some in more detail than others.

To be honest not many of them are road specific (although roads do appear)

I was wondering if they would be of use to the SABRE maps Appeal, and if so , is there an address I can send them to.
Dont forget the shiny side stays UP !!!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

toowise wrote:I have some old maps from various dates (some going back to just after WW2), some are National Geographic Magazine and cover various parts of the world, some in more detail than others.

To be honest not many of them are road specific (although roads do appear)

I was wondering if they would be of use to the SABRE maps Appeal, and if so , is there an address I can send them to.
Thank you for the kind offer! We're primarily looking for roads-based (or where roads are a major component) maps of the United Kingdom and Ireland, but the critical part is that they have to be out of copyright.

At time of writing, that means Ordnance Survey maps dated 1965 or earlier, or other maps dated 1945 or earlier - unless there is a named author upon the maps (such as Phyllis Pearsall on A-Z maps) in which case things get very very complicated as copyright becomes the life of that person plus 70 years!

If any of the maps you have in mind fit into that criteria, then if you send me a Private Message, we can certainly sort something out!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I wasn't sure where to post this, so putting this here. Mods feel free to move this to any "pretty maps"-type thread.

I've been transcribing the 1937 Kelly's directory for Whitby, and turned a page and discovered this (thumbnailed, larger version (2M)):

Some things I noticed, some of which may be errors:

* It's just before Sleights Bridge washed away, so the A169 goes through Ruswarp.
* The A171 east of Whitby hasn't yet been straighted at Hawsker.
* The B1416 doglegs through Sneaton. There's no road there, but there is a track, I suspect a mapping error.
* The A174 is still a B road, the Sandsend road not having been built well enough to withstand the sea, but again follows an odd route. It goes into and out of Runswick. The unstraighted "bypass" of Ellerby is correctly shown. But it then manages to strike off across fields and ravines to bypass Sandsend and enters Whitby through a farm.
* Similiarly, the B1257 north of Hovingham goes off the current road into Nunnington, loops around the village, approaches Oswaldkirk but then diverts via a bridleway to joinn the B1363.

I have this scanned at 5500x4000 at 22M and also the East Riding also 22M. If you're happy for me to upload these to the Wiki file area I'll give it a go.
Andrew_S_Hatton

nowster wrote: Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:03 We have difficulty getting the :censored: bank to sort things out properly! They lost the new mandate twice.

(All banks are the same with "community" accounts. Lower than the lowest priority.)
I have just chanced upon this again - & do not think I ever saw the original reply (I have not worked out how I ger emails of some replies but not others)

I cannot now remember whether I sent any money back in 2014.

Is money neded now?

I had presumed the "appeal" was for financing not physical maps - but my memory is not good and I have not trawled through the issue.

Maybe I can be appropriately redirected - I shall try to remeber to check back.

Apologies for misunderstandings.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 06:11
nowster wrote: Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:03 We have difficulty getting the :censored: bank to sort things out properly! They lost the new mandate twice.

I have just chanced upon this again - & do not think I ever saw the original reply (I have not worked out how I ger emails of some replies but not others)

I cannot now remember whether I sent any money back in 2014.

Is money neded now?

I had presumed the "appeal" was for financing not physical maps - but my memory is not good and I have not trawled through the issue.

Maybe I can be appropriately redirected - I shall try to remeber to check back.

Apologies for misunderstandings.
Worry not - always happy to explain! The answer is both really.

SABRE Maps relies on donations of appropriate mapping - generally by people scanning maps in their collection; sometimes by physically lending them to a member with scanning facilities to obtain scans; and occasionally as physical donations of the map themselves.

SABRE also has a small pot of money donated by members that is ringfenced for appropriate map acquisitions so that those more rare maps can be scanned and put online for everyone to enjoy.

In addition, there is the general cost of servers and storage - basically the costs of running the site and everything on it, for which we rely entirely upon donations from members and non-members. There are no paid staff, and no expenses are paid outside the pure costs needed to run the site; so servers, domain names and so on are allowable costs - travel is not.. The SMT, for example, are completely unpaid volunteers.

Our treasurer is Nowster (who has commented in this thread) - and I'm sure he will be delighted to answer any further questions, especially ones around "how do I donate money to SABRE"! :laugh:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Andrew_S_Hatton

OK thanks - message received - funds and maps always needed.
bluebedouin

Post by bluebedouin »

Good body every evening.Not sure if I'm in the right place as just joined today.
I used to do house clearances & have had some old maps that I re-discovered today.A general search doesn't seem to come up with anything regarding one I have.It's Sheet 51/76 dated 1951 & covers Rochester,Chatham & Gillingham.Do you have this one on site,would you like it?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

bluebedouin wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 20:38 Good body every evening.Not sure if I'm in the right place as just joined today.
I used to do house clearances & have had some old maps that I re-discovered today.A general search doesn't seem to come up with anything regarding one I have.It's Sheet 51/76 dated 1951 & covers Rochester,Chatham & Gillingham.Do you have this one on site,would you like it?
Our 1:25000 coverage isn't actually in the best of conditions really! It's a lower priority than the other scales we have on Maps; generally because they show less area and they're actually harder to deal with. Having said that, yes, improving the 1:25k coverage is a long-term goal, so yes, we'd be delighted to have it donated to us - it's just that it may not appear for some time.
Steven
Motorway Historian