A19/A1058 junction improvement

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: A19/A1058 junction improvement

Post by SteveA30 »

The icing on the cake would be not charging for the tunnel at all but of course this is England, not Wales or Scotland. ANPR is worse than toll booths because you are no longer anonymous when passing through*. There is less and less you can do without being identified, totally unnecessarily and totally unjustifiably. George Orwell is being proved right with each passing year, except, he didn't predict that the people would actually support Big Brother 'loves you'.

* There may have been cameras in recent years but, probably not when it opened.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

SteveA30 wrote:The icing on the cake would be not charging for the tunnel at all but of course this is England, not Wales or Scotland. ANPR is worse than toll booths because you are no longer anonymous when passing through*. There is less and less you can do without being identified, totally unnecessarily and totally unjustifiably. George Orwell is being proved right with each passing year, except, he didn't predict that the people would actually support Big Brother 'loves you'.

You’re still entirely free to pay by cash.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Good news! Hope it stays that way until it becomes free..... :pig: :rofl:
JoeWren

Post by JoeWren »

djw1981 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 21:11 Speaking to my parents (still North Tyneside residents) it looks like the A1058 50mph limit from the Churchill St junction to east of the Norham road junction (where the 40mph limit starts) comes in soon. This leaves only the 2-3 miles from Churchill St to the ECML bridge as a derestricted section. The permanent 50mph signs are up, presumably for when the temporary 30mph roadworks limit ends.

Turns out that the consultation was in 2016 and the announcement in 2017 https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/sites/d ... 20Road.pdf
I drive this interchange quite frequently and yeah, atleast on the route I take the 30mph signs on the A1058 are down and replaced with 50mph signs, this was very recent though
jackal

Post by jackal »

Beardy5632 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 16:07 I wonder if they'll start looking at Moor Farm and Seaton Burn again once this is complete.
A little bit of info from a TfN document showing that the pipeline scheme will be looking at replacing the roundabouts (with GSJs presumably):
RIS2 also confirms that the A19 North of Newcastle Junctions will be developed for potential inclusion in a future RIS. There remain two roundabouts on the A19, both of which stand in the way of local growth plans. Highways England will examine the case for removing both.
https://docplayer.net/194679956-Transpo ... tem-6.html
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 09:25 The icing on the cake would be not charging for the tunnel at all but of course this is England, not Wales or Scotland. ANPR is worse than toll booths because you are no longer anonymous when passing through*. There is less and less you can do without being identified, totally unnecessarily and totally unjustifiably. George Orwell is being proved right with each passing year, except, he didn't predict that the people would actually support Big Brother 'loves you'.

Why would you prefer criminals to remain anonymous ?

The cameras typically only trip alerts when cars are uninsured, untaxed or have an alert associated with them. As for cameras I suspect that cameras were fitted in the tunnels for safety reasons when the first tunnel was opened in 1967 but they would have been rather poor quality by modern standards but I can tell you that CCTV cameras were in industrial use by then. We had them in various strategic locations around the ICI Wilton site in 1968 when I started work there. I do know that long before the Dartford Crossing lost its toll gates police on the M2/M20/M25 were alerted when a vehicle associated with criminal activity passed through.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 15:11
SteveA30 wrote:The icing on the cake would be not charging for the tunnel at all but of course this is England, not Wales or Scotland. ANPR is worse than toll booths because you are no longer anonymous when passing through*. There is less and less you can do without being identified, totally unnecessarily and totally unjustifiably. George Orwell is being proved right with each passing year, except, he didn't predict that the people would actually support Big Brother 'loves you'.

You’re still entirely free to pay by cash.
And the cameras will still spot you as they did before ANPR payment was implemented as of course the CCTV cameras on the A19 still do.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

ANPR is all over the country. You're deluded if you think you can't be tracked as you make your journey. Tolls don't really have much to do with it.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I know ANPR is on most main routes, (is there a route plan online?) It is the English disease of still insisting on tolls when Scotland and Wales can do without them that i object to. Once paid for, the tolls should go. When was Tyne paid in full?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 20:04I know ANPR is on most main routes, (is there a route plan online?) It is the English disease of still insisting on tolls when Scotland and Wales can do without them that i object to. Once paid for, the tolls should go. When was Tyne paid in full?
The second Tyne Tunnel opened ten years ago and cost £140m, so the answer is not yet.

Worth bearing in mind that the A19 may be a trunk road but the Tyne Tunnels (and the adjacent pedestrian and cycle tunnels) are the responsibility of Nexus, the local public transport executive, and franchised out to a company called TT2. The new tunnel only got built because the tolls exist, and the deal is that TT2 run it for a 30 year period, in which time they retain at least some of the toll income. Ending the tolls sooner than 20 years from now would mean buying out a PFI deal - effectively paying all 20 years of future tolls now out of public funds. The short answer to abolishing the Tyne Tunnel tolls is therefore "dream on"! :wink:
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 20:04 I know ANPR is on most main routes, (is there a route plan online?) It is the English disease of still insisting on tolls when Scotland and Wales can do without them that i object to. Once paid for, the tolls should go. When was Tyne paid in full?
You wont go wrong if you assume all trunk roads have at least partial ANPR coverage as do most city centres, bridges and major junctions. As already mentioned the second Tyne Tunnel was only opened a decade or so ago and TT1 was partially refurbished. As I recall replacing the pedestrian and cycle lifts is still not completed.
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

Not sure where to put this, but Coast Road now has a "temporary" 50mph limit, although the signage is rather permanent. This is along the former NSL section from Silverlink to the ECML overbridge.
I think it makes sense to be honest, as it's a decently busy stretch of road where you are only doing 50-60 at peak times. But it will need permanent enforcement if kept on, ideally by sticking a couple of average cameras between the junctions
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

JammyDodge wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 17:07 Not sure where to put this, but Coast Road now has a "temporary" 50mph limit, although the signage is rather permanent. This is along the former NSL section from Silverlink to the ECML overbridge.
I think it makes sense to be honest, as it's a decently busy stretch of road where you are only doing 50-60 at peak times. But it will need permanent enforcement if kept on, ideally by sticking a couple of average cameras between the junctions
It has always struck me as a 50mph type of road, so it makes sense.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 20:04 I know ANPR is on most main routes, (is there a route plan online?) It is the English disease of still insisting on tolls when Scotland and Wales can do without them that i object to. Once paid for, the tolls should go. When was Tyne paid in full?
They opened the second tunnel in 2011 and as I recall it was a PFI with the concession and tolls running until 2037 , direct any complaints to Gordon Brown and Tony Blair, as I recall it was signed off by them in 2007.

A major secondary use of ANPR is tracking suspect/wanted vehicles. When they pass a major traffic nexus such as the Tyne Tunnel or Dartford Crossing any vehicle which is flagged in the system will raise an alert.