A19/A1058 junction improvement

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Re: A19/A1058 junction improvement

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Love how the reporting of this is like it's some amazing new concept, not that there's already many just like it in the UK.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

This is the delights of how Highways England are primarily a PR organisation these days than an actual roads agency... They've spun it to the media that a basic 3 level roundabout is somehow new and innovative.

That's impressive. Next week, rebranding Gary Glitter as a 'risqué performer'.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Mark Hewitt wrote:Love how the reporting of this is like it's some amazing new concept, not that there's already many just like it in the UK.
There was a status about it on the Lad Bible Facebook page on Thursday which I had to have my (honest) say on.

I understand it's there for safety but the 30 limit that they've put in lasts far too long going northbound away from the junction IMHO. It was all the way up to the Holystone junction when I drove through there on Wednesday but the limit going towards the Silverlink is 50 then 30. At least the good thing is when it is done it'll be much nicer to drive along there and not have to worry about stopping at the lights. :)
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cons ... roundabout
Main construction work has started on the triple decker roundabout in North Tyneside, which will reduce congestion and improve journey time reliability for the thousands of drivers who use it every day.

Over the past couple of months Highways England contractors have been carrying out preparatory work such as clearing the roundabout of vegetation and creating a temporary road layout around the A19 Coast Road roundabout as part of the £75 million scheme.

Traffic is already using the new layout on the northern side of the roundabout which has to be in place so the workforce can work safely. After Christmas drivers will start using the new layout on the southern side.

This week the main piling work started on the northern side of the roundabout which will create the start of the underpass.

As this progresses closer to the bridge that carries the A1058 Coast Road a contraflow system will be put in place on the westbound carriageway. This will, which allows traffic to travel in both directions, will be on the westbound carriageway. This will be implemented in the new year.

This piling work will form the new support for the A1058 road ahead of the underpass being dug out. By lowering the A19 beneath the existing A1058 Coast Road and roundabout this will create the third layer of the roundabout.

Drivers will also see major drainage work starting over the next few months between the roundabout and the A193 junction and piling work will start on the new slip roads on the A19.

Piling work around Middle Engine Lane has been completed. There are 100 piles, each are 600mm in diameter and are 9 metres deep.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

On the A1058 over the bridges the footpaths/cycle tracks have been abolished (maybe diverted down the slip roads) and the space used to widen the westbound carriageway to carry four narrow lanes, two each way. This has freed up the site of the eastbound carriageway and they have started to create the eastbound half of the bridge over the future A19 mainline.

The roundabout has been elongated north and southwards so they can start on the bridges to take the roundabout over the future A19.

North of the junction two probably temporary lanes have been built in the A19 central reservation and northbound traffic diverted onto them. To the south there is permanent-looking widening of the carriageways into the central reservation, looking likely to open soon.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-40624735
A 400-tonne crane is lifting into place huge concrete beams for a triple-decker roundabout replacing one of Tyneside's busiest junctions.

The 35-tonne beams are part of bridges which will support the A1058 Coast Road over the roundabout and this, in turn, over a lowered A19.

Highways England said the £75m scheme, which started a year ago, would reduce congestion and improve journey times.

Assistant project manager Steven Cox said it was "an exciting milestone".

It allowed for excavations for the underpass, which would be time-consuming and involve removing 80,000 cubic metres (2.8 million cubic feet) of earth, he said.

Almost half the 55 beams, which are 22m (72ft) long, have been installed.

Once finished, the three layers of road will allow drivers to continue straight along the A19 underneath the new roundabout.

The road is the main route to and from the Tyne Tunnel and is used by thousands of motorists every day.

More than 1km (0.6 miles) of cycleway would be improved and an extra 247m (270yd) created as part of the scheme, Highways England said.

A 30mph speed limit and narrow lanes are in place during the work.
To be pedantic, the bridges that will carry the Coast Road over the roundabout have been there for decades. The most than can be undergoing installation now are the beams for the north and south bridges to carry the roundabout over the A19, and the first (northern or eastbound) half of the bridge to carry the Coast Road over the A19.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Once this is done the A194/A19 route will be a good alternative to the A1 especially when heading for the Northumberland coast, although the £3.40 return fare for the tunnel is still rather steep.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Mark Hewitt wrote:Once this is done the A194/A19 route will be a good alternative to the A1 especially when heading for the Northumberland coast, although the £3.40 return fare for the tunnel is still rather steep.
Yes, though it's a shame that the A194 with its weird 'D1.5' stretch and two roundabouts along Learn Lane is so slow: are there any plans to upgrade this?!?

From further south, the work on the Testos Roundabout will make the A19/A168 route free-flowing (other than the tunnel payment) from the A1(M) right up to the A189 at Cramlington. It's an increasingly good road I think.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Rob590 wrote:
Mark Hewitt wrote:Once this is done the A194/A19 route will be a good alternative to the A1 especially when heading for the Northumberland coast, although the £3.40 return fare for the tunnel is still rather steep.
Yes, though it's a shame that the A194 with its weird 'D1.5' stretch and two roundabouts along Learn Lane is so slow: are there any plans to upgrade this?!?

From further south, the work on the Testos Roundabout will make the A19/A168 route free-flowing (other than the tunnel payment) from the A1(M) right up to the A189 at Cramlington. It's an increasingly good road I think.
I don't think there is any plans especially considering the signed route is via Testos roundabout, which itself is a bottleneck. I've certainly had my share of getting stuck in a long queue at the A194/A19 junction especially since they are *always* doing some works on the roundabout - honestly I don't think there's been any occasion in my life there isn't work going on there.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

I wonder if tolls will end on the Tyne Tunnel like the Severn Bridge, which would make the A19 a more attractive alternative to the A1 and reduce congestion on the western by pass.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I hope so. How long ago was it actually paid for?
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

SteveA30 wrote:I hope so. How long ago was it actually paid for?
The second tunnel only opened 6 years ago.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

How long did it take to pay off the first tunnel, which opened in 1967?
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

SteveA30 wrote:How long did it take to pay off the first tunnel, which opened in 1967?
I'm not sure the consession was ever let on the 'until it's paid for' basis. In fact IIRC I'm not sure if it was ever paid for, they just covering debt payments only.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Today traffic on the north side of the roundabout appeared to be going over the new bridge over the future A19. Set concrete was also visible on the decks of the bridge that will carry the south side of the roundabout and the bridge (or half-bridge) that will carry the eastbound A1058.
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

I still think that adding a bit of free-flow at the A1 & A189 junctions would be necessary as well.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

wrinkly wrote:Today traffic on the north side of the roundabout appeared to be going over the new bridge over the future A19. Set concrete was also visible on the decks of the bridge that will carry the south side of the roundabout and the bridge (or half-bridge) that will carry the eastbound A1058.
Sounds like they're getting on with it then! I haven't been through for maybe 6 months so all I've seen so far is groundworks no actual new structures.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Goldberg wrote:
I still think that adding a bit of free-flow at the A1 & A189 junctions would be necessary as well.
Absolutely, after Silverlink is sorted that's going to be the next source of queuing, although in theory the traffic should have eased a little by there as much of it will be heading for junctions along the A19 between there. Even if they did sort that out the toll on the Tyne Tunnel means the A1 would still be our default choice for North of Newcastle.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I've long wanted to know what layout was proposed for the Seaton Burn junction improvement that was in the programme about 10 years ago.

What would be the best route to grade separate if they were doing the A189 junction? A19 ro A19 or A19 to A189?
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Is the build procedure for the roundabout bridges properly known as top down?

That is to say, although only the deck and road surface is visible the side walls of the future underpass must be present all the way down to below the underpass level, but invisible at this stage. So there's sort of more completed infrastructure than you can actually see?
Last edited by Paul7755 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 14:59, edited 1 time in total.