IRE: M8 J19 upgrade updates

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

odlum

IRE: M8 J19 upgrade updates

Post by odlum »

A motorway order has just been issued for the upgrading of this underwhelming grade separated roundabout interchange between the M8/JL tunnel and N25 in Cork.

*edited to fix/remove broken links
Last edited by odlum on Tue Jan 28, 2020 22:32, edited 6 times in total.
ScottB5411

Re: IRE: M8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange Mway order + EIS

Post by ScottB5411 »

Is it me being blind or is there no movement provided for M8 - Cork City Centre other than having to go via the dumbell???
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
odlum

Post by odlum »

No, I am pretty certain I am not blind either, that does seem to be the case :confused:

Another issue I see is with how close the junction is to the tunnel portals. Though I don't know how much they could have done to rectify that.
si404

Post by si404 »

And with the way the southern roundabout at the dumbell is arranged with slip roads, you can't have an M8 J21 type u-turn to take the major traffic off of the roundabouts.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Utterly stupid missing that movement out! Surely a sizeable amount will be going to Cork, making all traffic go via the dumbell will be chaos, as it is now!

edit*

also, whats with the slip road that just does a U-turn off the N25 :confused:
si404

Post by si404 »

ScottB5411 wrote:also, whats with the slip road that just does a U-turn off the N25 :confused:
Where? I see an N40 to N25 slip and a N25 to M8 slip that both go under the existing bridge, but not that you can do a u-turn.
dunkettle.png
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

I'd not seen the underpass on the N25 - M8 slip, i thought it just came back on itself lol
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

The thinking I reckon is that they're trying to get traffic to continue via the South Ring and enter Cork from that direction. The roads are higher capacity that direction - tailbacks as it is going into Cork in the morning reach the roundabout to the west of this scheme.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

On the route into Cork from the south there is a GSJ with traffic lights at the northbound merge. What is the meaning of this? The left lane is red while the two right lanes are green.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
bothar

Post by bothar »

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

ScottB5411 wrote:I'd not seen the underpass on the N25 - M8 slip, i thought it just came back on itself lol

lol - that would be the most expensive U-turn ever constructed in history :mrgreen:

When I first saw the design I have to admit that's what I thought too. As soon as I looked at it I was thinking "what the fook" 8-)

Truvelo I haven't an iota what those lights are for. Look's bizarrely unneeded. If there is anyone from Cork like to let us know...
loch_cuan73

Post by loch_cuan73 »

bothar wrote:some other stuff
Looking at the photomontages it would appear that the main north-south movements M8-N40 & reverse are on a D1 carriageway. I suppose this is constrained by the existing overbridge across the roundabout, and the presence of 2 other merging southbound slips (N8 east - N40 south & N25 west - N40 south) - keeps the congestion further back from the north tunnel portal.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Truvelo wrote:On the route into Cork from the south there is a GSJ with traffic lights at the northbound merge. What is the meaning of this? The left lane is red while the two right lanes are green.
Looks like the left lane is a bus lane - it's neither an ahead arrow nor a full ball signal, but something else that isn't in focus on GSV.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

Yeah its a Bus lane to give priority to the buses coming from the Cork Park & Ride.

Heres another one (actually useful too)

http://goo.gl/maps/QDfT
bothar

Post by bothar »

Also progressing
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/10 ... 31374.html

An Bord Pleanála has given the green light to National Roads Authority (NRA) plans for a €100m upgrade of the Jack Lynch Tunnel/Dunkettle interchange.
By Sean O’Riordan
The board voted by a three-to-one majority to approve the scheme, at one of the country’s busiest junctions.

It also approved the issuing of Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPOs) which are required as the NRA needs to acquire land to construct some elevated new slip roads.

More than 90,000 daily vehicle movements have been recorded at the junction.

An Bord Pleanála agreed with an NRA submission that an upgrade was needed to alleviate the level of congestion currently being experienced at the junction during peak times.

Despite some objections, the board felt the proposed development would not be likely to have any significant adverse effects on the environment.

The board, however, imposed a number of conditions.

They include a proviso the NRA carry out a number of mitigation measures to ensure no adverse impact on flora and fauna in the area.

Automatic traffic counters will also have to be installed in the area and the NRA will be required to carry out a review of traffic flow at the planned upgraded junction every two years.

Plans for a proposed cycle path on a section of the upgraded junction have been refused because the board considered it could contribute to accidents.

An oral hearing took place at the Silver Springs Moran Hotel over two days last December.

At the hearing, the NRA’s team of experts argued congestion was costing the State and the upgrade would save commuters a significant amount of time.

The plan involves creating a number of dedicated local access roads around the junction, thus separating those making local journeys from regional and national journeys.

The signalised roundabout at the northern end of the tunnel will be removed for total free flow and a dedicated slip road will be built on the city side of the tunnel so traffic can directly access the northbound lanes of the M8.

NRA spokesman Sean O’Neill said he welcomed the Bord Pleanála decision.

“We would like to move forward on the scheme but it is subject to funding being made available. It will cost in the region of €100m,” he said.

The decision is also likely to be welcomed by the Port of Cork which was refused planning permission by An Bord Pleanála for a major new cargo-handling terminal in Ringaskiddy. The main reason for the refusal was the increased HGV traffic this would generate would have further impacted on tunnel congestion.

The port authority, meanwhile, is about to resubmit planning for a scaled-down terminal in Ringaskiddy.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
M7isthehighway

Post by M7isthehighway »

They could make a U shaped slip between the actual new free flowing interchange and the new dumbell type interchange. These are common in France. It's a sharp sleek slip but it's anything better than the mess they are proposing in diagrams. Irish road planners always have to at least build roads and interchanges at somewhat a blunder. Take the red cow for example. They thought leaving turnpike and Luas p+r slips at grade with the new interchange was ok, and it's clearly not ok.

I can only say the same for Dunkettle. This road upgrade is ambitious enough, why ruin it with leaving on movement totally inadequate?
jackal

Post by jackal »

Construction is anticipated to start in 2019:

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/cor ... 60689.html
odlum

Post by odlum »

Contractor to be appointed next month.

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/9 ... 6836850688
Berk

Post by Berk »

Let me see if I’ve got this right: with this scheme, you can’t come off the M8 and head west straight onto the N8 towards the city centre. Not without heading through the mass of slip roads. Or can you?? :confused:

But yet you can join the M8 straight from the N8, because that’s a simple left turn... :?: :|

Believe me, if you’ve ever been to Cork, and you want to head to somewhere near the railway station, or anywhere on the north bank of the Lee in fact, you’ve got to be on the right road in the first place. Or just get snarled up in a massive queue like you’ve never seen for the next 45 mins... :x
Berk

Post by Berk »

I read the linked EIA report, and I have to say it seems like they’ve gone for the most cackhanded option available. Despite full free-flow options on offer.

Why would anyone want to allow free flow u-turns (from Midleton/Cobh), but not a simple movement like M8S-N8W??

I cannot believe no-one wants to travel to the city centre, Glanmire or other suburbs from Cashel or Dublin. The queues will probably be horrendous.

You would almost think there’s a conspiracy to keep cars out of Cork...