Dartford Crossing - Free Flow Charging

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

michael769

Re: Dartford Crossing - Free Flow Charging

Post by michael769 »

Do what Scotland does.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
kevintiobraid

Post by kevintiobraid »

How good are the ANPR systems used for these sorts of things - the only one I have experience of is that being used by our local supermarket (big signs as you go in and out) which gets mine wrong from time to time. (To the point I got an overstayed warning on the way out last week, on a 20 minute visit..)
The one on the M50 if fairly good in my experience. I regularly hire cars at Dublin airport and pass through the toll. The hire companies have an agreement with the toll company, when the number plate is picked up, it gets automatically passed back to the hire company which charges your credit card. It hasn't once failed to pick up on any toll crossing I've done.
You can tailgate a lorry or white van and the cameras won't pick up your reg....but they have cottoned onto this:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ta ... 37630.html
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

kevintiobraid wrote:The one on the M50 if fairly good in my experience. I regularly hire cars at Dublin airport and pass through the toll. The hire companies have an agreement with the toll company, when the number plate is picked up, it gets automatically passed back to the hire company which charges your credit card. It hasn't once failed to pick up on any toll crossing I've done.
You can tailgate a lorry or white van and the cameras won't pick up your reg....but they have cottoned onto this:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ta ... 37630.html
Ireland has the advantage that no other European licence plates look like Ireland's.

The ABC in Australia has 10 000 NSW motorists charged for using Melbourne's ANPR/e-toll motorways as the system differentiate between licences plates issued by different Australian states.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-07/1 ... ge/3816132
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Chris_533976

Post by Chris_533976 »

The M50 tolling in Ireland works pretty well, so basically copying that would be an idea. When they were doing the M50, they said "oh no, the toll booths are not the cause of congestion".

The way I'd read into that is that you can forget the 7 mile jamups approaching Dartford and QE2 from the minute any barrier free tolling starts. It will be nothing but a good thing.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Chris_533976 wrote:The M50 tolling in Ireland works pretty well, so basically copying that would be an idea. When they were doing the M50, they said "oh no, the toll booths are not the cause of congestion".
Ireland is different as the number of "out of area" cars is very small.

So, on the M50, if you are a one-off traveller, and do not have Internet access, a mobile phone or a bank card, how do you pay the toll? And is that method quicker and easier than using a tollbooth?
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

It will be slower for *you* but it will be faster for everyone else.

The concern is of course, even if you do have a phone, or internet access etc. That's it's just very easy to forget that 4 hours ago you went through that toll tunnel thingy, now you have to remember to pay the toll charge. What was the website address? Or even the name of the tunnel, or was it a bridge?
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Is that any different to the London congestion charge?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Fenlander wrote:Is that any different to the London congestion charge?

Yes; because you don't drive into the centre of London while on the way to somewhere else. It's a very deliberate choice.

Whereas on the Dartford crossing you could have started your day in Rouen and ended it in Glasgow with Dartford being just a tiny part of a long journey.
tidalflow

Dartford Crossing and Auto number plate capture.

Post by tidalflow »

I have been to Kent recently and read about the proposed plans to remove the barriers and collect tolls via number plate recognition.

I am really interested to see how this will work in practice. I guess that the drivers will be required to buy a toll before driving.

Not sure how foreign plates will be chased for the toll, seeing only this week the local news had a feature on how much local authorities lost on car park fees from such vehicles.

I suppose it will be quicker passing through the tolls. I would be interested to know other members thoughts on this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23334597
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22189967

(post merged into existing topic by PeterA5145 as moderator)
Stevie D

Re: Dartford Crossing and Auto number plate capture.

Post by Stevie D »

tidalflow wrote:I have been to Kent recently and read about the proposed plans to remove the barriers and collect tolls via number plate recognition.

I am really interested to see how this will work in practice. I guess that the drivers will be required to buy a toll before driving.
That's where it's going to fall down.

When I head down to the south-east, I have a choice of which way round the M25 I go, or I may even choose to skirt across London ... and I might not decide what I'm going to do until I'm en route and listening to traffic reports on the radio. I don't want to be pre-paying a toll that I might or might not use, but nor do I want to have to pull off the road and go through the hassle of paying by mobile phone once I decide which way I'm turning onto the M25.

Leaving aside all the non-regular drivers who only go that way occasionally, and so are likely to not know about the change in the first place, and to forget about it once they do know. You can't help thinking that they are banking on a lot of the shortfall from evasion being made up by fines from infrequent users who simply forget, which hardly seems fair.
James H

Post by James H »

So what happens to my DART-Tag? Do I still get a reduced crossing charge for topping up in advance?

I counted two references to the tag in the PDF, but no answers about it!
My: Blog | Twitter | Car Clubs: MSC | AOC
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

This came out this afternoon stating local residents can pay £20 a year for unlimited crossings. Also talking about a charge for regular users

Greater discounts for 4,000 local residents at Dartford-Thurrock Crossing
The M25 - The road to nowhere
tidalflow

Post by tidalflow »

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford_me ... ing-13512/

Found this today. Not particularly clear, but you can get the idea. It will be strange no stopping for payment might take a bit of getting used too.
Benny

Post by Benny »

Its criminal that they are still charging.
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

No, it's democratic.
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

If the cost of the original bridge has been covered, then they shouldn't be charging. End of.

Simple answer, of course, is to go the other way round the '25 and boycott this bridge altogether. Will it happen? Of course not.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I've been doing that for ages. That'll learn 'em. :wink:
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Going the other way round? For some that will be fine, but surely for most that is going to cost more in fuel than the toll. For example, if I want to go from Kent and head North am I going to go the long way round (more fuel) or through London (unpredictable traffic and slower roads) or spend the cost of the toll? It should be free but, with regret, I have to hand them the toll.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's a nice money spinner so no chance of it being scrapped any time soon.

Hopefully adjacent services will have a means to pay the toll otherwise can see lots of unpaid toll charges being sent about.

Or is that the idea...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

I've just had a bright idea :bulb:

Maybe they could create a drive-through facility for one-off users to pay their tolls. It'll never catch on, though...
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein