A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by wrinkly »

Today it was possible to drive over Fort Bridge but not as a through route - the road was closed a short distance east of the bridge.

At the 3-arm junction NW of J52 (Catterick Central), the arm towards Catterick Garrison is signed as A6136 and the other two as A6055.

A number of new permanent signs are now up on the northern part of the contract.

The resurfacing of Scotch Corner roundbout is approaching completion.

The northbound on-slip at Scotch Corner is now on its permanent alignment.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

wrinkly wrote:Today it was possible to drive over Fort Bridge but not as a through route - the road was closed a short distance east of the bridge.

At the 3-arm junction NW of J52 (Catterick Central), the arm towards Catterick Garrison is signed as A6136 and the other two as A6055.

A number of new permanent signs are now up on the northern part of the contract.

The resurfacing of Scotch Corner roundbout is approaching completion.

The northbound on-slip at Scotch Corner is now on its permanent alignment.
Excellent. Do we have a fixed date for the completion?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I forgot to add they seem to be having problems with the soil-nailed cutting slopes near the Swale bridge. They were working on them today.
Berk

Post by Berk »

The northern part of the scheme seems to be running a year late...
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Berk wrote:The northern part of the scheme seems to be running a year late...
May I give you the same answer I gave you in regards to the Sunderland Bridge?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Berk

Post by Berk »

Indeed. :wink:
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

I think I read somewhere that there's a hope that more of it will be opened by Christmas, but I can't now find where that was. I note that the Highways England page now has a more specific March 2018 for final completion, rather than the previously vague use of 'Winter'/'Spring', which also seems promising.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Rob590 wrote:I think I read somewhere that there's a hope that more of it will be opened by Christmas, but I can't now find where that was.
Looking back in this thread I see you may be thinking of my post on Oct 17 when I said
wrinkly wrote:I've been looking at the latest replies to questions on the scheme page. On the completion date:
I can confirm that the majority of the scheme will be complete and open for traffic by December 2017, there will be a small 2 mile section near the River Swale which will be complete in March 2018, this is due to complicated ground conditions meaning additional works are needed to ensure that the embankments remain stabilised.
This also fits with my post five up from this one.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:
Rob590 wrote:I think I read somewhere that there's a hope that more of it will be opened by Christmas, but I can't now find where that was.
Looking back in this thread I see you may be thinking of my post on Oct 17 when I said
wrinkly wrote:I've been looking at the latest replies to questions on the scheme page. On the completion date:
I can confirm that the majority of the scheme will be complete and open for traffic by December 2017, there will be a small 2 mile section near the River Swale which will be complete in March 2018, this is due to complicated ground conditions meaning additional works are needed to ensure that the embankments remain stabilised.
This also fits with my post five up from this one.

Allbeit that the rumour locally is that the March 2018 date is now somewhat 'optimistic' bearing in mind the work that needs doing to the embankments which are apparantly 'moving'.

On a more optimistic note, we were told this morning that the temporary speed limit on the Local Access Road from Leeming Bar to its junction with Low Street will be removed at the end of next week. It has ceertainly been a drag driving that route at 30mph! Hopefully the rest of the LAR to J52 at least will be 'up to speed' soon as well.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

If it's such a difficult section, it's surprising it didn't show up with the original bypass - or perhaps it did?

Post by 6637 »

wrinkly wrote: At the 3-arm junction NW of J52 (Catterick Central), the arm towards Catterick Garrison is signed as A6136 and the other two as A6055.
That's interesting. If the A6055 is following that route, then does that mean the existing A6136 through Catterick is going to be downgraded?
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

To be fair there is no reason for the A6136 to go through catterick village anymore, the LAR is now clearly signed as A6055 via the new J52, looking at streetview at catterick bridge where the road layout is changed to give priority to the LAR you can see new signage which clearly shows just a single sign to catterick with no classified road number so to me that shows it will be completely downgraded.

Post by 6637 »

OK thanks for that info, I will update openstreetmap accordingly.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Northbound passed Catterick North bridge there appears to be a new speed camera gantry with 3 cameras on it. Are they going to open that section up to Scotch Corner as 3 lanes under 50mph speed restrictions? It was dusk and I only just noticed them!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

The A1 southbound through the roadworks between J56 (Barton) and J53 (Scotch Corner) has been a nightmare today following a lorry RTC at about 5.30am this morning.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... s_company/

At rush hour this morning the media were citing two hour delays southbound with diverted traffic causing 'gridlock' in Darlington, the tailback stretching back beyond J58. There are currently delays on the A1 of about 40 minutes. Having just been through Northallerton myself that is not much better either!

It has just been announced on local TV that the southbound will remain closed until 'early evening' today as they are having to resurface the road due to a large diesel spillage at the scene. The actual location is just under the LAR overbridge as can be seen in the photos in the news report above.

Although the LAR between J56 at Barton and J53 at Scotch Corner is open and available to use, the signed diversion is via the A689 to the A19/A168. I suppose they do not want the full weight of A1 traffic using the LAR and having to negotiate the 'roundabout' at Scotch Corner. If they did, with the current traffic signal arrangement it would snarl up Scotch entirely as well!.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Repmobile wrote:The A1 southbound through the roadworks between J56 (Barton) and J53 (Scotch Corner) has been a nightmare today following a lorry RTC at about 5.30am this morning.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... s_company/

At rush hour this morning the media were citing two hour delays southbound with diverted traffic causing 'gridlock' in Darlington, the tailback stretching back beyond J58. There are currently delays on the A1 of about 40 minutes. Having just been through Northallerton myself that is not much better either!

It has just been announced on local TV that the southbound will remain closed until 'early evening' today as they are having to resurface the road due to a large diesel spillage at the scene. The actual location is just under the LAR overbridge as can be seen in the photos in the news report above.

Although the LAR between J56 at Barton and J53 at Scotch Corner is open and available to use, the signed diversion is via the A689 to the A19/A168. I suppose they do not want the full weight of A1 traffic using the LAR and having to negotiate the 'roundabout' at Scotch Corner. If they did, with the current traffic signal arrangement it would snarl up Scotch entirely as well!.
Managed to dodge that one this morning, not that I needed to go past Barton but apparently traffic was already tailing back towards the A68 junction and where I normally come off at the A689 J60 was reportedly stuffed as people were leaving the A1 to get around it.

Thankfully I came off at J61 and picked up the A177 past Coxhoe and followed that into Stockton without issue.
Andy J
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Andy J »

Sounds a bit of a nightmare. My dentist appointment was cancelled this morning as the dentist was stuck on the A1(M). From an extremely selfish standpoint I consider that good news.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Andy J wrote:Sounds a bit of a nightmare. My dentist appointment was cancelled this morning as the dentist was stuck on the A1(M). From an extremely selfish standpoint I consider that good news.
Just means it'll hurt more next time.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

On the BBC Yorkshire travel this morning they stated the incident was between J56 Barton and J55 scotch corner, which I'm sure is J53 this just highlights the complete mess of junction numbering in that area it isn't acceptable to loose 2 junction numbers on a 2 mile section of road.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

NICK 647063 wrote:On the BBC Yorkshire travel this morning they stated the incident was between J56 Barton and J55 scotch corner, which I'm sure is J53 this just highlights the complete mess of junction numbering in that area it isn't acceptable to loose 2 junction numbers on a 2 mile section of road.
Indeed. Which is why it would have been a good idea to have have had planned ahead for the junction locations on future sections of A1(M).

That’s something that would have been done were this France, Germany or the USA. But this is Britain and nothing is done logically or ever makes any sense…
- Richard Nixon