A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Osthagen »

Mikeg wrote:
Repmobile wrote:Just a bit of advance notice, the Local Access Road bridge over the A1 at Catterick North will be closed 24 hours per day for three weeks from 20th November. The closure is apparently for ‘new surfacing works’. This in effect splits the local access road into two parts (that is, if Fort Bridge manages to re-open by the forecast ‘Mid November’ – if not it makes the LAR split into 3 parts!).

Also, from today’s e-mail update for the L2B team:

''Scotch Corner surfacing works are progressing and remain a priority for completion of the scheme. Our focus over the next week, however, will be surfacing works on the A1 itself and this means that we cannot continue with these works at Scotch Corner until 5th November''.
Does that mean they only have one surfacing team?
How many do they normally have on these kinds of projects?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

McNessA720 wrote:
Mikeg wrote:
Repmobile wrote:Just a bit of advance notice, the Local Access Road bridge over the A1 at Catterick North will be closed 24 hours per day for three weeks from 20th November. The closure is apparently for ‘new surfacing works’. This in effect splits the local access road into two parts (that is, if Fort Bridge manages to re-open by the forecast ‘Mid November’ – if not it makes the LAR split into 3 parts!).

Also, from today’s e-mail update for the L2B team:

''Scotch Corner surfacing works are progressing and remain a priority for completion of the scheme. Our focus over the next week, however, will be surfacing works on the A1 itself and this means that we cannot continue with these works at Scotch Corner until 5th November''.
Does that mean they only have one surfacing team?
How many do they normally have on these kinds of projects?
I'm not sure, I just thought they would have more than one!

Northbound through Scotch Corner contraflow has gone.
M19

Post by M19 »

The team will consist of one man, one dog, wheel barrow, cooking stove for warming up asphalt and making tea, shovel and heavy boots to compact the asphalt.

It certainly seems like that on the M1 at the moment between J16 and J19. It's taking them linger to convert that section than it did to build the whole first section. How have they managed that?
M19
Roadmeister17

Post by Roadmeister17 »

I reckon York Minster took less time to build than the Leeming to Barton scheme - it certainly looks to be getting that way !
Roadmeister17.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Roadmeister17 wrote:I reckon York Minster took less time to build than the Leeming to Barton scheme - it certainly looks to be getting that way !
Roadmeister17.
The Scotch Corner- Catterick section seems to be taking forever. Mind you, where I live, a scheme to resurface 3/4 mile of road that was supposed to be finished on October 27th was only half done by then, was running a month late, and looks like the final, though less important, section has been postponed.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: The Scotch Corner- Catterick section seems to be taking forever. Mind you, where I live, a scheme to resurface 3/4 mile of road that was supposed to be finished on October 27th was only half done by then, was running a month late, and looks like the final, though less important, section has been postponed.
Just came through an hour ago and Scotch Corner looks scarcely different to how it was in July.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Over the weekend for various reasons, I had to travel both the full length of the 'mainline' and also the adjoining local access road. As has been said, not a great deal seems to be ongoing at the moment. The only ongoing works (where people were actually working at the time) were:

On the mainline just north of Catterick Central around Fort Bridge, to the west side of the northbound carriageway. It looks like they are re-enforcing the cutting side (I believe this area is the cause of the programme completion date moving to March 2018).

Mainline northbound, just south of Scotch Corner Junction – erection of junction signage in progress.

On the A6108 between Barracks Bank roundabout and Scotch Corner (now part of the Local Access Road) – work was ongoing on the old central reservation.

Silver Street/Barton (LAR) – junction improvements in progress.

A6136/A6055 (LAR) – west of Fort Bridge – junction works in progress. Hopefully, according to their timetable, Fort Bridge will hopefully open later this month (I will only believe it when I can drive over it!).

West side of Tunstall overbridge (heading south) – road closed for resurfacing.

The above were the only locations were work was currently ‘in progress’ as I passed through.

Scotch Corner junction (and the over bridges forming the roundabout) are about half resurfaced, however this has been left for now whilst they resurface other areas. No doubt they will resume this resurfacing once this ‘other resurfacing’ has been completed.

As previously announced Catterick North overbridge (LAR) will be closing 24x7 for three weeks commencing 24th of November for resurfacing works. This will in effect block the LAR at that location during these works.

There still seems other areas of the scheme that need general tidying up work being carried out.
Last edited by Repmobile on Sun Nov 05, 2017 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

M19 wrote:
It certainly seems like that on the M1 at the moment between J16 and J19. It's taking them linger to convert that section than it did to build the whole first section. How have they managed that?
Surely it is obvious it's not an easy task to work on an existing carriageway whilst maintaining 6 lanes of Traffic? It probably was originally built quicker as they didn't have thousands of vehicles a day to deal with.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
M19

Post by M19 »

....and noticing very little by way of activity, going through the roadworks.
M19
Berk

Post by Berk »

All these comments lead to think the budget has been squeezed - due to unforeseen archaeological works/enbankment reinforcements, the money has been squeezed so tightly that resurfacing can only proceed at a snail’s pace...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

darkcape wrote:
M19 wrote:
Surely it is obvious it's not an easy task to work on an existing carriageway whilst maintaining 6 lanes of Traffic? It probably was originally built quicker as they didn't have thousands of vehicles a day to deal with.
If progress has been as glacial as the M60 works, the issue seems more to be the trying to do stupidly massive projects with too small a team.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Isn't it also the case that with works to existing roads with lanes kept open in the day, a lot of the work can only be done in little bits and at night?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

wrinkly wrote:Isn't it also the case that with works to existing roads with lanes kept open in the day, a lot of the work can only be done in little bits and at night?
Pretty much and even when do need to do a full possession you have to book it in weeks in advance so it isn't an efficient process. The question would be if they'd fully closed the A1 for the duration of the works, how quickly could it have been done?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Roadmeister17 wrote:I reckon York Minster took less time to build than the Leeming to Barton scheme - it certainly looks to be getting that way !
Roadmeister17.
Were that the case we could expect the Leeming-Barton section to be completed around 2247.

The building of the current Minster began in 1220 with the north and south transepts, work continued spradically until the western towers were added between 1433 and 1472 at which point the cathedral was declared complete. Of course in the case of the Minster it was built on the same site as three previous churches and under that lie the foundations of the Roman Legionary fortress. Of course they had their share of construction troubles, apart from 3 civil wars and the Black Death there was a major collapse in 1407
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I think that Roadmiester17 was joking.

But I wouldn’t expect this project to be finishing anytime soon.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Bryn666 wrote:
darkcape wrote:
M19 wrote:
If progress has been as glacial as the M60 works, the issue seems more to be the trying to do stupidly massive projects with too small a team.
Not defending delays on the A1 and M60, I was more annoyed at M19's comment about the M1 16-19 which is currently on-time, and on budget, so seemed a bit unfair.

But yes there is a lot of work you can only do at night - it's very tricky to do resurfacing with only one lane width, you usually need at least two, so on motorways its mainly done at night with lane closures - but it can be quicker do have a whole carriageway closure and get more done in one shift. Roundabout resurfacing can be particularly tricky - the only live roundabout I've ever done had a contraflow running on only one bridge of a two-bridge roundabout GSJ (with all other arms closed) - all others have been under full closures. And with the A1 suitable alternative routes are low so it may be they can only do certain bits at weekend nights etc.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Well, according to today’s e-mail update, resurfacing restarts at Scotch Corner tonight (with the usual subject to weather conditions proviso).

Both the Northern and Southern overbridges and the Eastern quadrant are going to be worked on, with plenty of sliproad closures and a somewhat scenic route to get to the service area from all directions.

I believe the only ‘easy’ route will be from the A1 northbound onto the A66 westbound.

No indications of how many nights this will all take though.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Repmobile wrote:Well, according to today’s e-mail update, resurfacing restarts at Scotch Corner tonight (with the usual subject to weather conditions proviso).

Both the Northern and Southern overbridges and the Eastern quadrant are going to be worked on, with plenty of sliproad closures and a somewhat scenic route to get to the service area from all directions.

I believe the only ‘easy’ route will be from the A1 northbound onto the A66 westbound.

No indications of how many nights this will all take though.
As an IT server/comms engineer, I know nothing about road building so what is the best weather to resurface roads?
M19

Post by M19 »

darkcape wrote:Not defending delays on the A1 and M60, I was more annoyed at M19's comment about the M1 16-19 which is currently on-time, and on budget, so seemed a bit unfair.
That may be the case, but the current works, over two years, follows another year, when the same section was restricted to replace the central barrier with concrete. I can appreciate the complications with TM works, but that aside, I never noticed a massive level of activity along the whole length.

For that kind of duration and disruption, a full on upgrade with shoulders would have been achieved as it has been with other sections that were fully upgraded. And by comparison the whole 70-odd miles of the first phase of the M1 was completed in less time. Over almost the same three years it's only taking a bit longer for the Leeming to Barton Stretch to be upgraded with a complete rebuild: new alignment, junctions with TM works included, rather than a project that, putting it crudely, involves reinforcing the hard shoulder so that it can become a full time running lane, and adding the plethora of traffic management communication systems. What seems to be a relatively uncoordinated approach with the M1 to me is annoying. With works due to start between J13 and J16, I'm not looking forward to the time that will take and the frequent disruption.

For starters avoid spending a year replacing the concrete barriers, then going back again for another two years to convert it to a smart motorway!
M19
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Text of an e-mail received today re the re-opening of Fort Bridge, and the temporary closure of Catterick North Bridge:

Dear Resident,

A1 Leeming to Barton Improvement Scheme

Fort Bridge and Catterick North Bridge

We are writing to provide you with an update on scheme progress around the Catterick and Brompton-on-Swale areas. We are aware that there is considerable interest from the local community with respect to Fort Bridge and Catterick North Bridge.

 Fort Bridge
On Tuesday 21 November 2017 we will open the new Fort Bridge to public traffic. We appreciate that Fort Bridge provides an important local connection between communities on the east and west sides of the A1 and are grateful for the patience shown during the reconstruction of this bridge.
Following the opening of Fort Bridge, there will be a small amount of work to complete to install the permanent joints in the bridge. These works are minor and will be completed using localised traffic management during off-peak periods.

Catterick North Bridge
On 24 November 2017 we will begin our surfacing works on Catterick North Bridge. We expect that this will take three weeks to complete. During this time, Catterick North Bridge will be closed and the diversion route will use Fort Bridge.
We would like to thank you for being patient as we are working to bring the scheme to a close and apologise for any disruption caused.
Should you have any concerns, please contact our Public Liaison Team on 01677 932 348 or enquiries@a1l2b.com.

Yours faithfully

Tom Howard
Senior Project Manager – Highways England