A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Roadmeister17

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Roadmeister17 »

Re junction numbering on A1(M) ...this is one of my gripes about the scheme. Earlier comments spot on ! Bearing in mind the ten mile gap between J50 (A61 Ripon/ Thirdly) and J51 ( A684 Leyburn / Northallerton ) wouldn't this be the best place to loose two numbers ? Damage limitation I know, but at least with the Leeming Bar junction hiked up to 53 the ones further north would all stack up ! Roadmeister17.
Roadmeister17

Post by Roadmeister17 »

Sorry about that - Ripon to Thirsk !
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

My mrs was stuck in this yesterday for nearly 3 hours. What I don't understand is why they didn't shut the A66m at Stapleton as traffic was coming back off at Barton! Having said that there was also reports of another RTC further up at Bradbury where traffic would usually come off to head over to the A19. :roll:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

McNessA720 wrote: That’s something that would have been done were this France, Germany or the USA. But this is Britain and nothing is done logically or ever makes any sense…
That's not quite true... The large scale renumbering of all the junctions on the A16 in France is an example of both poor planning and the chaos large scale junction renumbering can cause. Germany's interesting as there is a lot of future planning goes a long way - the gap in the A1, for example reserves numbers. The A61 is an interesting case, as it was subsequently re-routed to bypass Venlo, and consequently there is a J1b (but no 1a or 1) and the km markers go negative after 0 is reached heading north.... With the USA, things differ from state to state, but their interstate numbering system only has room for 99 roads, and there's not enough space been left in the north east area which means that there is all sorts of anonomlies in their grid. So in short there are anomolies everywhere!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I’m bumping this thread fairly randomly, but have we not had any news on this since the October?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

McNessA720 wrote:I’m bumping this thread fairly randomly, but have we not had any news on this since the October?
There's some details on the scheme page, in and amongst the chatter..
http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... provement/
Fort Bridge was opened to traffic on Tuesday 21 November 2017. The old bridge was removed to allow the motorway to be widened to three lanes underneath.

The first phase of upgrading the A1 to motorway standard between Leeming and Barton opened to traffic on Friday 22 September 2017.
We anticipate that all required works will be completed by the end of March, allowing for opening to motorway standard.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Andy J
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Andy J »

c2R wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:I’m bumping this thread fairly randomly, but have we not had any news on this since the October?
There's some details on the scheme page, in and amongst the chatter..
http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... mprovement
Ground stabilisation works just south of the River Swale, and work on the LAR then. Any excitement over this scheme has inexorably been sucked from us over the past months, it will be finished when it's finished.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A1 Leeming- Barton was the main article on Look North as local businesses and road users are becoming exasperated with the delays to the upgrading north of Catterick, and Scotch Corner is suffering from massive tailbacks. Apparently, Highways England state that this will finally be completed next March( we hope). Let's hope this is true.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

From an email from the L2B team yesterday:

There will be no further traffic management cascades until after the Christmas and new year period. Early in the new year, our works will include:

· Surfacing works on Leeming Lane, Catterick – requiring night time closures
· Permanent closure of the southbound exit slip road at the old Catterick North Junction – allowing roundabout construction on Gatherley Road, Brompton-on-Swale
· Reconstruction works on Silver Street, Barton

Further information on these closures will be issued in the new year.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Is this expected to be completed by spring 2019 as I am due to travel down there at that time :D
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

As this stretch is now officially boring, the A19 is my new route of choice. I used it for the first time in August, to and from Scotland. Very pleasant and scenic route as far as the A174 and then industrially scenic north of there. I can see that the rush hour would be awkward but, my rare visits would just be timed to avoid that.
The reduction in stop choices south of Leeming on the A1(M), seems to have a huge effect on Wetherby. I pulled in there on the way south and had to queue to enter the site. There seemed to be no parking spaces and the fuel station was also heaving so, I joined the queue to get out again! I've never seen an MSA so full up. Only the M5 on summer Saturdays compares but, this was a weekday. Is there anything now between Leeming and Wetherby? There used to be petrol stations, LC's, transport cafes. What is at Rainton now? I joined from the A168 so, just missed that one. The A19 still has a good choice of stops.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I had a look round the works this afternoon. The bridge at Catterick North on the LAR has been reopened athough there are temporary signals at its east end, where the road level still needs to be built up by about a foot of blacktop. The resurfacing at Scotch Corner roundabout looks about finished. All traffic on the A6108 dual carriageway is back on the right (i.e. left) side of the central reservation. On the mainline, the remaining sections of concrete central barrier around Scotch Corner to Barton, that were missing for so long, have almost all been done, but there are other bits to be done in the Catterick North area. The soil nailing near the Wharfe bridge is perhaps approaching a conclusion - the nails are so closely spaced on the cutting slope that there's scarcely any room for more!
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

Permanent closure of the southbound exit slip road at the old Catterick North Junction – allowing roundabout construction on Gatherley Road, Brompton-on-Swale
Probably a daft question but why do they need to put a roundabout in can't they just alter the T junction?
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

SteveA30 wrote: The reduction in stop choices south of Leeming on the A1(M), seems to have a huge effect on Wetherby. I pulled in there on the way south and had to queue to enter the site. There seemed to be no parking spaces and the fuel station was also heaving so, I joined the queue to get out again! I've never seen an MSA so full up. Only the M5 on summer Saturdays compares but, this was a weekday. Is there anything now between Leeming and Wetherby? There used to be petrol stations, LC's, transport cafes. What is at Rainton now? I joined from the A168 so, just missed that one. The A19 still has a good choice of stops.
The date might have had something to do with that! I suspect regular travellers in the area are also avoiding Scotch Corner while the works are happening, which won't help.

Boroughbridge Morrison's is signed as 'Services' once you leave the A1(M) but not while on it. It's my preferred stop in the area, though it's not 24/7.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

As this stretch is now officially boring, the A19 is my new route of choice. I used it for the first time in August, to and from Scotland. Very pleasant and scenic route as far as the A174 and then industrially scenic north of there. I can see that the rush hour would be awkward but, my rare visits would just be timed to avoid that.
The reduction in stop choices south of Leeming on the A1(M), seems to have a huge effect on Wetherby. I pulled in there on the way south and had to queue to enter the site. There seemed to be no parking spaces and the fuel station was also heaving so, I joined the queue to get out again! I've never seen an MSA so full up. Only the M5 on summer Saturdays compares but, this was a weekday. Is there anything now between Leeming and Wetherby? There used to be petrol stations, LC's, transport cafes. What is at Rainton now? I joined from the A168 so, just missed that one. The A19 still has a good choice of stops.
To be fair Wetherby has always been busy since opening but lately its become manic, I pass twice daily and its always rammed, I also noticed that the whole Section of A1(M) in that area seems far more busier than a few years ago, it was just on the news on Thursday that the planned services at Kirby Hill have now been totally dropped, Leeming are terrible for both access and the level of service! the only bit of relief on Wetherby might come from the now under construction Leeds Skelton Lake services which are to be on the M1 J45, but I suspect in time they will try for some around the J49 area.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

SteveA30 wrote: What is at Rainton now?
The southbound side building was demolished for the motorway upgrade. The northbound site is now used for something else, with no access to or from the motorway.
ionatransit wrote:
Permanent closure of the southbound exit slip road at the old Catterick North Junction – allowing roundabout construction on Gatherley Road, Brompton-on-Swale
Probably a daft question but why do they need to put a roundabout in can't they just alter the T junction?
Presumably to avoid having a 90 degree corner with a cul-de-sac straight ahead.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:
SteveA30 wrote: What is at Rainton now?
The southbound side building was demolished for the motorway upgrade. The northbound site is now used for something else, with no access to or from the motorway.
ionatransit wrote:
Presumably to avoid having a 90 degree corner with a cul-de-sac straight ahead.
I got told at one of the open day things that although Catterick North Southbound exit will be closed, it will be a gated emergency egress point ( If that is the correct term) to clear tailbacks etc should there be an emergency closure between Scotch and J52.

If this needed to be used, then the LAR would become snarled up with southbound traffic waiting/queuing to turn right at Brompton on Swale. The roundabout being to help traffic flow in these situations.

Also traffic to/from the cattery featured in the decision to build the roundabout but I cannot remember why.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Repmobile wrote: Also traffic to/from the cattery featured in the decision to build the roundabout but I cannot remember why.
A cattery at Catterick?
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

wrinkly wrote:
Repmobile wrote: Also traffic to/from the cattery featured in the decision to build the roundabout but I cannot remember why.
A cattery at Catterick?
Must be a very large cattery to create traffic problems.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Glenn A wrote:
wrinkly wrote:
A cattery at Catterick?
Must be a very large cattery to create traffic problems.

It has some very large cats (including mine at the moment) and big woof doggies.

http://www.a1kennelsandcattery.co.uk/contact/3825189

It is right next to the roundabout they will be constructing and I think there were some access issues without the roundabout.