A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Owain »

ScottB5411 wrote:I'll be hiring a car on my next visit home and ensuring I drive the full stretch, be fantastic to see this finished :-)
Make sure you do 90 on it .... at any speed lower, it's painfully flat, straight, empty, and boring!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Owain wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:I'll be hiring a car on my next visit home and ensuring I drive the full stretch, be fantastic to see this finished :-)
Make sure you do 90 on it .... at any speed lower, it's painfully flat, straight, empty, and boring!
90km/h or 90mph? If the latter dont get caught! If the former you want 120km/h as you should get away with that nicely!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

lotrjw wrote:
Owain wrote:
90km/h or 90mph? If the latter dont get caught! If the former you want 120km/h as you should get away with that nicely!
Why would I sit there at 90km/h :confused:
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Berk

Post by Berk »

He thinks we should follow in the footsteps of Australia and New Zealand, and go metric. :no:
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

ScottB5411 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Owain wrote:
I dont know, Owain didnt say so I queried it.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote:He thinks we should follow in the footsteps of Australia and New Zealand, and go metric. :no:
I do, seeing as most countries have metric road signs, I think only the UK and US still potter on with miles and feet(US)/yards(UK).
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think it could only have been successful in the mid-70s (when those countries switched). Since then it’s sort of floundered (although road design and construction seems to have gone metric through the back door)...
Last edited by Berk on Mon May 07, 2018 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

lotrjw wrote:
Berk wrote:He thinks we should follow in the footsteps of Australia and New Zealand, and go metric. :no:
I do, seeing as most countries have metric road signs, I think only the UK and US still potter on with miles and feet(US)/yards(UK).
I do believe you've been told about bringing it up unnecessarily before also ;-)
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

ScottB5411 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
I do believe you've been told before about bringing it up unnecessarily before also ;-)
I asked a valid question somehow its been expanded upon!
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

lotrjw wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
I do believe you've been told before about bringing it up unnecessarily before also ;-)
I've got my big wooden spoon out :twisted:
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

ScottB5411 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:
I've got my big wooden spoon out :twisted:
:laugh:
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Although discussion has wandered somewhat, may be worth noting that the works associated with this still aren't finished - Scotch Corner roundabout is still a lane down, there are a few nightly closures, and many of the local access roads have closures and traffic light controls on them.

Any news on when this scheme will finally be done!? Let's not forget that the target date was 'Spring 2017' originally!
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

It'll maybe be done around the same time as the AWPR is finally finished. ;)
Andy J
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Andy J »

Rob590 wrote:Although discussion has wandered somewhat, may be worth noting that the works associated with this still aren't finished - Scotch Corner roundabout is still a lane down, there are a few nightly closures, and many of the local access roads have closures and traffic light controls on them.

Any news on when this scheme will finally be done!? Let's not forget that the target date was 'Spring 2017' originally!
The 30mph on the LAR at Catterick is amusing, I swear I haven't seen a single car drive slower than 45mph on it and have not seen a single worker doing anything there.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

It's amazing how much work is still left to do. The A1(m) mainline is generally done, which is great, but Scotch Corner doesn't even look that close - looks to be plenty of landscaping to the north, traffic lights on the roundabout are still temporary, the second roundabout and dual link is still full of cones.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

lotrjw wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
I dont know, Owain didnt say so I queried it.
To be fair to the road (wrt my flippancy above!), it is everything a motorway is supposed to be. Traffic is supposed to flow freely, without getting bunched up! In that respect, it's not unlike the French autoroutes .... although the French roads are less boring because the speed limit is more sensible.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Rob590 wrote: Any news on when this scheme will finally be done!? Let's not forget that the target date was 'Spring 2017' originally!
As I live locally (Catterick Village), we got a flier round last week saying they were expecting all the works at Scotch Corner and on the local access road to be finished 'by the end of May 2018'.

Whether or not they do complete by this date is a matter causing much debate locally as there does seem a lot of work still outstanding and the overnight closures on the mainline and slip roads are still ongoing.

Surprisingly, despite saying they are 'working hard' to complete the scheme, I drive along various parts of it a few times per day (and late into the night) and go for days without seeing anyone actually working on the scheme.

Up at the very northern end of the LAR, I am surprised they have left the northern end of Kneeton Lane (the bit from where the construction ends just north of Kneeton Hall overbridge to where it ajoins the remodelled Silver Street junction) almost untouched, It is of surprisingly low quality to the rest of the LAR and it doesn't look like an 'A' class road at all (despite it now being signposted as the A6055). Although looking at the original scheme map, it was not shown as being subject to an upgrade. It just looks to be of a far lower standard than the rest of the LAR.

This bit: https://bit.ly/2KNYD48 from where the white 'verge lines' end heading north.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Repmobile wrote:
Rob590 wrote: Up at the very northern end of the LAR, I am surprised they have left the northern end of Kneeton Lane (the bit from where the construction ends just north of Kneeton Hall overbridge to where it ajoins the remodelled Silver Street junction) almost untouched, It is of surprisingly low quality to the rest of the LAR and it doesn't look like an 'A' class road at all (despite it now being signposted as the A6055).
It was once part of the A1!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:
It was once part of the A1![/quote][/quote]

A bit before my time that!

According to the North Yorkshire County Council Interactive map:

http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/a ... pcfg=Roads

it was a 'C' class road, that has been 'promoted' to an 'A' Class road with either no, or very very minimal work being done to it (no guttering/kerbs, cats eyes etc). It just looks as if it is the bit that L2B forgot in the A1 upgrade.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Yup, the stationary queues preceding the end of the D3M can back up all the way to Hatfield.