A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Glenn A »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 08:09
Glenn A wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 17:06 Another accident on the D2 section of the A1 in West Yorkshire causing massive tailbacks. It's time this section was upgraded to D3M and the Doncaster by pass widened.
It is notable given that A1(M)-M18 is still the main route South, just how claustrophobic the A1 from Darrington is after you've been on D3M since Scotch Corner.
The M1 extension might have taken off some southbound traffic, but the A1 is still an important link from the North East to Doncaster and Sheffield, with the M18 being favoured over the M1. It does make sense to have the remaining sections of D2 in West and South Yorkshire upgraded to D3M.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I've been meaning to mention that I got a look at the notorious resurfacing approaching Leeming Bar the weekend before last. On Sat Sep 1st I went to have a look at the newly completed Sunderland bridge and also took in the A19/Coast Road junction works.

The full width of the northbound carriageway including hard shoulder has recently been resurfaced from J50 about halfway to J51 (following J49 to 50 on both carriageways, which was done last autum).

Resurfacing is in progress on the northbound carriageway from the said halfway point to a point some way short of J51. There is a 2+2 contraflow on the southbound carriageway. Two sections of the concrete central barrier have been removed for the crossovers.

Then there is another completed section getting a bit nearer to J51. On this the white line between lanes 1 and 2, indicating a lane drop ahead, has been reinstated. Sorry I don't know the diagram number.

However the place where most of the paint is, within J51 and on its north and south noses, has not been resurfaced and is probably outside the scope of the current job. So I suppose I can see why they haven't removed the lane drop.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Anyone know if the 30 mph speed limit has been removed from the LAR from Catterick to Scotch Corner yet?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 19:59 I've been meaning to mention that I got a look at the notorious resurfacing approaching Leeming Bar the weekend before last. On Sat Sep 1st I went to have a look at the newly completed Sunderland bridge and also took in the A19/Coast Road junction works.

The full width of the northbound carriageway including hard shoulder has recently been resurfaced from J50 about halfway to J51 (following J49 to 50 on both carriageways, which was done last autum).

Resurfacing is in progress on the northbound carriageway from the said halfway point to a point some way short of J51. There is a 2+2 contraflow on the southbound carriageway. Two sections of the concrete central barrier have been removed for the crossovers.

Then there is another completed section getting a bit nearer to J51. On this the white line between lanes 1 and 2, indicating a lane drop ahead, has been reinstated. Sorry I don't know the diagram number.

However the place where most of the paint is, within J51 and on its north and south noses, has not been resurfaced and is probably outside the scope of the current job. So I suppose I can see why they haven't removed the lane drop.
I'll wager they never remove it, the only reason for it being retained is sheer bloody mindedness from designers who clearly haven't a clue what they're doing.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
moggsy

Post by moggsy »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53
wrinkly wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 19:59 I've been meaning to mention that I got a look at the notorious resurfacing approaching Leeming Bar the weekend before last. On Sat Sep 1st I went to have a look at the newly completed Sunderland bridge and also took in the A19/Coast Road junction works.

I'll wager they never remove it, the only reason for it being retained is sheer bloody mindedness from designers who clearly haven't a clue what they're doing.
I now think it IS going to be removed, in recent days they have taken up what would be lane 1 over the junction which has removed all the paint work where the chevrons were, they have also taken up the hard shoulder all the way down the junction slip road too so it does look like they are going to remove the lane drop it just seems an odd way of achieving it, or if they aren't again i have no idea what they are doing as this is happening outside of the 50mph zone?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

moggsy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 14:19 I now think it IS going to be removed, in recent days they have taken up what would be lane 1 over the junction which has removed all the paint work where the chevrons were, they have also taken up the hard shoulder all the way down the junction slip road too so it does look like they are going to remove the lane drop it just seems an odd way of achieving it, or if they aren't again i have no idea what they are doing as this is happening outside of the 50mph zone?
Aaargh! They've now resurfaced what would, in a proper D3M layout, have been the northbound hard shoulder and lane 1, over the southern more-than-half of the length inside the Leeming Bar junction, and (just like on the approach from the south) they've reinstated the previous markings, prolonging the existence of the lane drop for another who-knows-how-many years, in flat contradiction to what they promised on the website.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 18:24 Anyone know if the 30 mph speed limit has been removed from the LAR from Catterick to Scotch Corner yet?
Now mostly removed. It remains 30 on the approaches to Scotch Corner from north and south on the LAR, and on the road over Fort Bridge. Also there are still lots of cones along the sides of some of the side roads.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

If you go on the traffic England website and look at the cameras at J51 it shows the resurfaced section and the lining which looks as it did before.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

wrinkly wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 19:18
Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 18:24 Anyone know if the 30 mph speed limit has been removed from the LAR from Catterick to Scotch Corner yet?
Now mostly removed. It remains 30 on the approaches to Scotch Corner from north and south on the LAR, and on the road over Fort Bridge. Also there are still lots of cones along the sides of some of the side roads.
It makes sense as the LAR is a quicker to reach Scotch Corner if you're in the northern part of Catterick( Brompton on Swale) than turning round and going to Catterick Central. Also the section of D2 from the A6136 to Scotch Corner is a welcome addition.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 17:53
wrinkly wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 19:18
It makes sense as the LAR is a quicker to reach Scotch Corner if you're in the northern part of Catterick( Brompton on Swale) than turning round and going to Catterick Central. Also the section of D2 from the A6136 to Scotch Corner is a welcome addition.
The 30s I saw yesterday looked temporary. And the dual carriageway was coned down to one lane southbound. I didn't check northbound.
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

wrinkly wrote:
Aaargh! They've now resurfaced what would, in a proper D3M layout, have been the northbound hard shoulder and lane 1, over the southern more-than-half of the length inside the Leeming Bar junction, and (just like on the approach from the south) they've reinstated the previous markings, prolonging the existence of the lane drop for another who-knows-how-many years, in flat contradiction to what they promised on the website.
Oh great, so much for that hope then! What’s the betting their excuse is due to the overhead sign which also have needed changing and wasn’t coordinated with the resurfacing...I really need (somewhat naively) think they was some logic here as they probably knew this emergency resurfacing was due to happen years ago. But alas no and like you say we’ll be stuck with this stupid arrangement for years, possibly decades to come...!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Don't wanna be that guy but I told you so...

Couldn't organise a p up in a brewery. If it was promised on their site raise it with the local MPs and HE. And the press.

The public have a right to know when their tax is wasted.
Bryn

Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

When this bit of the A16 in Boston was widened from S2 to S2+1 the actual level crossing part was done and remarked as if it were to be a wide S2 with double white lines down the middle whilst the bits either side were already S2+1, it caused a bit of confusion initially but was blacked out to correct it in the end.
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

the lane drop is back, they have no intention of having 3 lanes through the junction
Attachments
A1 Leeming.jpg
A1 Leeming.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

HE in unfit for purpose shocker.
Bryn

havaska_uk

Post by havaska_uk »

We should keep pressing them with this and hopefully they'll sort it out.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

I have sent a letter of complaint to my local MP (who is the MP for the area of J51) about the lane drop remaining after the re-surfacing. However I don't expect much of a result from him.

I see they are now digging up Fort Bridge again for the next 6 weeks as apparently the drainage they put in originally was 'not to specification' which I think means it was originally done 'on the cheap'. It means temporary traffic lights and some 'off peak closures' of the road meaning it is a drive through Catterick Village and then up the LAR to get to Colburn and the Garrison.

Also I see the Shell Petrol station at High Brough Moor is in its final stages of 'ressurection'. Athough how much passing business it will get with it being on the LAR, as opposed to the mainline remains to be seen. Although with the astronomical fuel prices at Scotch Corner it may pick up some business from people who know it is there (assuming the fuel is cheaper than at Scotch as it always used to be).
Berk

Post by Berk »

Where is the evidence that HE contractors received an order to not reinstate the lane drop??

From where I’m sitting, it looks like there was a lot of faith and trust that they would do that, on the back of a promise.

Whereas in reality, unless a director authorised it, it would probably never happen.

Did an HE manager, or director authorise the lane drop removal?? There’s no point hand-wringing if there was never any order given in the first place.

Besides, the hatching clearly shows enough room for a third lane. They could easily burn the hatches off if they wanted to.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Nobody is suggesting it's the contractor's fault. I imagine we all believe it's HE's omission.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Also I see the Shell Petrol station at High Brough Moor is in its final stages of 'ressurection'. Athough how much passing business it will get with it being on the LAR, as opposed to the mainline remains to be seen. Although with the astronomical fuel prices at Scotch Corner it may pick up some business from people who know it is there (assuming the fuel is cheaper than at Scotch as it always used to be).
I suspect this fuel station will get quite a bit of trade from the designer shopping village which has planning passed and will be accessed off the new roundabout where the LAR meets the A6108 just north of here.