A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Roadmeister17

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Roadmeister17 »

Any news yet on the permanent, blue motorway signs installation on this scheme ? Despite the lamentable dragging of feet I would expect by now to see on the southbound approach to J53 Scotch Corner ' The SOUTH A1(M), Wetherby, Leeds' with ' Scotch Corner, Brough,
Penrith A66' as the offshoot on the sign. (It would have been far better if A frame signs had been used, as on the 1995 Walshford - Dishforth scheme ). Roadmeister17.
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Owain wrote:And yet every time I look at a map of France, they've built a whole new motorway.
This. Just plain ridiculous the length of time this has taken.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Roadmeister17

Post by Roadmeister17 »

When you consider how quickly the first 72 mile stretch of M1 / M10 / M45 were constructed in 1958/1959 this short Leeming to Barton upgrade looks particularly unimpressive. No doubt we will get the usual PR guff from Highways England about unexpected Roman finds at Catterick and Scotch Corner... Roadmeister17.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I had to drive up it early this morning.

It's still boring.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Owain wrote:I had to drive up it early this morning.

It's still boring.
I had a ride up and down the A1 to Leeds yesterday, well Crossgates, what on earth is the A1 surfaced with north of Ferrybridge? No exaggeration the spray was the worst I've ever come across in my entire driving life.
Burns

Post by Burns »

It's still boring.
The boring nature of the A1/A1(M) when travelling up and down from Scotland is why I stick to the M6/A74(M), where possible.
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Fenlander wrote:

It's still boring.
I had a ride up and down the A1 to Leeds yesterday, well Crossgates, what on earth is the A1 surfaced with north of Ferrybridge? No exaggeration the spray was the worst I've ever come across in my entire driving life.
The A1 north of Ferrybridge is a DBFO road so it is surfaced with the cheapest whole life cost option.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Apologies if the answer is buried somewhere in this huge thread, but is anything going to be done with the Scotch Corner junction as part of the proposals? The last time I was there (a couple of weeks ago) traffic was queuing from the traffic lights all the way down the northbound off-slip and some way back onto the A1.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

skiddaw05 wrote:Apologies if the answer is buried somewhere in this huge thread, but is anything going to be done with the Scotch Corner junction as part of the proposals? The last time I was there (a couple of weeks ago) traffic was queuing from the traffic lights all the way down the northbound off-slip and some way back onto the A1.
No major change. An increased number of lanes approaching the lights from the south (from the A1 exit slip and also from the A6108), and a left-turn bypass for traffic turning sharp left onto the A6108.

Present queues are no indication of what they will be like when it's finished, because at present part of the roundabout is down to one lane.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

moggsy wrote:
Roadmeister17 wrote:It looks as though this scheme is slowly shuffling towards completion....
I heard that Fort bridge has suffered a serious slippage due to some drainage issues and that a completion of that section wont now happen until March 2018 at the earliest at a cost of £4m to fix! :o

So looks like 50mph is here to stay for a long while longer if true. We await formal announcements, and I'm hoping its local tittle tattle!
Anyone heard any more about this. All very quiet on Highways England!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Mikeg wrote:
moggsy wrote:
Roadmeister17 wrote:It looks as though this scheme is slowly shuffling towards completion....
I heard that Fort bridge has suffered a serious slippage due to some drainage issues and that a completion of that section wont now happen until March 2018 at the earliest at a cost of £4m to fix! :o

So looks like 50mph is here to stay for a long while longer if true. We await formal announcements, and I'm hoping its local tittle tattle!

Update in the comments section of the scheme website today as follows:

''I can confirm there is no truth to the rumour that Fort Bridge is delayed until Spring 2018.

The team here are aware of the local importance and connectivity Fort Bridge provides. I apologise and understand yours and the other local residents frustrations caused by the closure and can now confirm that Fort Bridge will be opening in Autumn 2017.

We would like to thank you for your feedback and If you would like to discuss any aspects of our works further, please contact our Public Liaison Team on 01677 932 348 or enquiries@a1l2b.com.

Kind regards

A1 Leeming to Barton Team''

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... provement/

Roll on Autumn!!!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Repmobile wrote:
Mikeg wrote:
moggsy wrote:

Update in the comments section of the scheme website today as follows:

''I can confirm there is no truth to the rumour that Fort Bridge is delayed until Spring 2018.

The team here are aware of the local importance and connectivity Fort Bridge provides. I apologise and understand yours and the other local residents frustrations caused by the closure and can now confirm that Fort Bridge will be opening in Autumn 2017.

We would like to thank you for your feedback and If you would like to discuss any aspects of our works further, please contact our Public Liaison Team on 01677 932 348 or enquiries@a1l2b.com.

Kind regards

A1 Leeming to Barton Team''

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... provement/

Roll on Autumn!!!
Why is something about the Forth Bridge here in the A1(M) Leeming - Barton thread?
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

lotrjw wrote:[
Why is something about the Forth Bridge here in the A1(M) Leeming - Barton thread?
hehe :laugh:

Good news anyway, does this mean full opening this year or are there still other issues?
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
lotrjw wrote:[
hehe :laugh:

Good news anyway, does this mean full opening this year or are there still other issues?
This is where the latest information about the Queensferry crossing would be published.
Nothing there to suggest that there is any other issues.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

lotrjw wrote: This is where the latest information about the Queensferry crossing would be published.
That's nice, I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Queensferry crossing? You're the one who brought it up :)
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
lotrjw wrote: This is where the latest information about the Queensferry crossing would be published.
That's nice, I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Queensferry crossing? You're the one who brought it up :)
Ah I just realised its fort bridge not forth bridge, my mistake, ignore! :oops:
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

lotrjw wrote:
Mark Hewitt wrote:
Ah I just realised its fort bridge not forth bridge, my mistake, ignore! :oops:

That's made my day, priceless!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Mark Hewitt wrote:That's nice, I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Queensferry crossing? You're the one who brought it up :)
I'm not sure he did. He brought up the Forth Bridge, which unlike the Queensferry crossing is a railway bridge. :twisted:
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

wrinkly wrote:
Mark Hewitt wrote:That's nice, I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Queensferry crossing? You're the one who brought it up :)
I'm not sure he did. He brought up the Forth Bridge, which unlike the Queensferry crossing is a railway bridge. :twisted:
If you are being pedantic yes, but there is 3 bridges that cross the Forth river at that point, with the second one carrying the same name near enough. The 3rd is just a replacement.
Anyway none of them are the Fort bridge, which is obviously what was being discussed.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Yes, definitely good news about Fort (for lotrjw – no ‘h’ on the end) Bridge opening this Autumn. That leaves the stretch of the Local Access Road (LAR) between Catterick North and Scurragh Lane (just south of the Travelodge) and the stretch towards Barton to finish.

Overall though, there still seems to be a fair bit of work ongoing around the Scotch Corner to Barton area with seemingly a fair bit still to do.

Also there is construction of the concrete central reservations to be done around Scotch Corner/Barton as well as around Fort Bridge. These will probably have to be done once the contra-flows are no longer required. Plus general tidying up of the whole area in parts.

I would say that south of Catterick Central, most of the work seems complete, with just tidying up on the now open LAR to be finished. Although signs are still present on the mainline saying that ‘Technology Works’ are ongoing.