Stubbington Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Stubbington Bypass

Post by Johnathan404 »

A slightly old story but... Minister backs plan for £25m relief road to ease traffic flow (but doesn't come forward with any funding)

Previously: County gives go-ahead to Stubbington by-pass

A better bypass for Stubbington has been planned for years, and looking in to alternatives to the A32 has been going on for nearly 45 years.

Presumably the new road can link up to Lee-on-the-Solent's anti-climax bypass to form a new route in to Gosport from M27 J9. In which case, we can get ready for a 40mph S2 with many traffic lights.
Last edited by Johnathan404 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Stubbington Bypass

Post by Chris5156 »

I'm having trouble seeing an obvious route for this - where would it go? From the Lee bypass, I guess it continues on that line to run up the eastern boundary of the airfield. Then where?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I wouldn't be surprised if the "bypass" was actually a series of road improvements that created a single route along Cherque Way, Broom Way, Newgate Lane (part of which, not this bit, is already pencilled in for dualling), and then a new road broadly following Tanners Lane and Oakcroft Lane.

The free route around Stubbington itself can easily be seen, but I don't know whether past plans have ever had anything drawn up.

LOTS airfield is owned by SEEDA which should make using it to cut the corner a little easier - indeed it'll probably be them who end up paying for the road.

What would be really nice was a new NSL road from the Titchfield Gyratory, across the M27 and bypassing Whiteley for fun.

From the SABRE Wiki: Titchfield Gyratory :

The Titchfield Gyratory is a junction on the A27. It was previously little more than two one-way roads crossing a dual carriageway, but it has become a more formal affair now, particularly now one corner of the junction has traffic lights making it very nearly a signalised roundabout.

The junction is located towards the bottom of a steep hill, with westbound (downhill) traffic having to negotiate a series of bends shortly afterwards.

The reason for the junction is that this is the

... Read More
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

And we can put a bus bollard on the road avoiding Whitely!

I remember reading an article at work. I then mentally paraphrased it as "We got a guy in power and stuck him in an epic traffic jam and he had a nervous break down vowed to fix it"
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

In similar-but-slightly-different news: funding has been secured for a new offline road to replace Newgate Lane.

Strange times to be living in Gosport. I'll believe it when I see it.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Consultation begins next week: current plans online here

Seems to be a nice upgrade of Newgate Lane, along with possible ideas for a bypass, and unlikely options for further road upgrades.

Since A27 work is now being tied in to the same project, it sounds like long-overdue improvements to Station Roundabout are likely, but it's difficult to see what can be done at Gudge Heath Lane, which is the real bottleneck.

From the SABRE Wiki: Station Roundabout :
... Read More
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

After many years in the pipeline, work has finally begun on this well needed link. Hopefully this will transform access to Gosport and put an end to the seemingly endless queues on the A32.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/181776 ... nally-way/
jackal

Post by jackal »

The best plans I could find are here: https://documents.hants.gov.uk/transpor ... boards.pdf

Not all that bad though there are too many fully signalised junctions.
bart

Post by bart »

That's unusual. Normally it's little roundabouts at every junction, but I guess peak-time traffic levels are high enough that there may be a constant stream of traffic along one route that would effectively block the other road.
jackal

Post by jackal »

That's not usually an issue on S2s. Also it wouldn't explain why three of the junctions handle merges with lights rather than... merges.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

jackal wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 18:47 The best plans I could find are here: https://documents.hants.gov.uk/transpor ... boards.pdf

Not all that bad though there are too many fully signalised junctions.
There’s another later discussion from 2016/18 about this project that contains a link to the full planning applications etc, in my last post here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35875&p=1017456&hil ... n#p1017456

(In fact there’s a few more recent mentions of the Stubbington project, it’s all a bit spread around in a few more general discussions.)

Paul
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Went past the construction site for this today. All seems to be progressing well but I have one question. Once this road is complete, is the entire B3334/B3385 corridor from Titchfield Gyratory to Gosport likely to be upgraded to an A-road as a signed alternative to the A32 for traffic heading west?
jnty

Post by jnty »

Does anyone know if there's any plans for changes within Stubbington once the bypass is complete, particularly in the centre bit with all the shops? Seems like a good opportunity for significant public realm improvements, getting rid of the big roundabout etc.
jnty

Post by jnty »

End of 2021 update: traffic signals in and surfacing largely complete at the Titchfield Road end but traffic still using the old alignment right now. Traffic now running on the 'new' side of the widened section of Titchfield Road, the new cut-through road at the gyratory seems fully surfaced and roundabout on Gosport Road seems to be fully surfaced with the eastbound carriageway 'kinking' around it. I can believe the Spring 2022 completion estimate.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Took the long way home this afternoon from Gosport via Peel Common roundabout, Stubbingon and Titchfield and as far as you can see from a passing car, it all looks very near completion. Everywhere I looked seemed to have the final surface in place. The first roundabout looked all but complete, although with single line TTL in use.

Signs still say open spring 22, has anyone heard a date?
jnty

Post by jnty »

NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

jnty wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 Apparently this opened today: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-61591277
The official opening was yesterday as I went past but won’t be open till next week for traffic!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

NICK 647063 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09
jnty wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 Apparently this opened today: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-61591277
The official opening was yesterday as I went past but won’t be open till next week for traffic!
Opened on Monday 30th. Classified as B3334 throughout, and named 'Daedalus Way'. Work will now commence on the old route through the centre of Stubbington, adding capacity for active travel at the two roundabouts. https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/tran ... provements
jnty

Post by jnty »

SteveM wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 08:26
NICK 647063 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:09
Opened on Monday 30th. Classified as B3334 throughout, and named 'Daedalus Way'. Work will now commence on the old route through the centre of Stubbington, adding capacity for active travel at the two roundabouts. https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/tran ... provements
A curious decision to largely avoid roundabouts on the road intended for motor traffic yet retain them on the route now intended for increased walking and cycling use...
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

It's not an English road scheme without roundabouts doing silly things