The Great North Road - Then and Now. Its OUT!!!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lonewolf

Re: The Great North Road - Then and Now. Its OUT!!!

Post by Lonewolf »

Cheers all, glad you like it. its had great reviews and is already in its second printing.
Wolfie

FB me!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

A year on and I never heard any more from the BBC :(
Wolfie

FB me!
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

With something like the beeb you might never hear for months and months and then, suddenly:!!!!

Though at the mo their budgets are tight, so.

Whatever they do, will be much better than the Jackanory 'the source of the M1'. Watched it as a kid expecting so much. Alas. :roll:
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

I've heard from the BBC. Lonewolf, send me a PM and I'll pass on the details
A BBC researcher wrote:I’m emailing with regards some research on the A1 for a potential BBC One documentary series that would follow those who work, live and rely on the Great North Road.

While internet resources and sites like your own can supply a lot of information about the A1, I’m looking for some un-mined info, stats and anecdotes about the road.

So far I’ve already discovered that Washington services was Morrissey’s favourite in the whole of the UK and the couple who called a Travelodge in Newark and then Grantham home for best part of years.

It’s interesting gems like that and more that I’m looking for which would be great. It might be how many breakfast snack vans are on the road (which would allow me to work out an estimated number of bacon butties served everyday) to how many kestrels are believed to hunt alongside the carriageway.

It might be people who do unusual jobs that are crucial to keeping traffic flowing, or downright strange, quirky facts.

Do you think this is something you or your members maybe able to help me with? If not, would you be able to point me in the direction of people who might?

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I wonder if its the same bloke? As it happens I missed a call that came from the BBC switchboard in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. It was Saturday teatime though. I'm still wondering what someone wanted at that time.
Wolfie

FB me!
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

SarahJ wrote:With something like the beeb you might never hear for months and months and then, suddenly:!!!!

Though at the mo their budgets are tight, so.
Having just lost the bidding war for the The Open (useless t*ssers) they might now be looking for other ideas, so here's hoping! Myself, I'm thinking of pitching a thirteen part series, "The Numbering System of Britain's Roads and Motorways".

On a more serious note, I remember a Lucinda Lambton programme about the Great North Road some years ago (googles - 1988! 27 years ago, blimey...).
XC70

Post by XC70 »

I have just seen this thread and have ordered a copy.
ROAD ROVER

Post by ROAD ROVER »

I say, how splendid. It's the first l've seen of this & being a big fan of the 'After the Battle' books & the Great North Road, will be ordering a copy toot-suite.

Nicely done, Sir.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

I had an EMail today about another book about the road

Highways and Byways of Northumberland: The Great North Road
Take a journey along the “road less travelled”. The Great North Road is one of the country’s great historical routes. And in the county of Northumberland much of the older road can still be driven.

This book takes you on a journey along this older and quieter route, describing the various points of interest that can be seen along the way.

As well as the description of the route, the book also gives a history of of the road.

Covering the journey in stages, between the main coaching stops of the 18th century, the book covers Newcastle, Blagdon, Stannington, Morpeth, Felton, Alnwick, Belford and Berwick.

The book has 40 pages, including 32 images and is priced at £4.50. Post and packing is free in the UK.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Spotted this yesterday in the bizarre location of Pendle Heritage Centre, Burnley.

It's a fascinating well-researched volume. It looks like I can forget whatever else I might have intended to do in the evenings this week!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Thanks for the reminder. Never got around to buying this at the time. Have now rectified this omission - ordered from Amazon!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:26 Spotted this yesterday in the bizarre location of Pendle Heritage Centre, Burnley.

It's a fascinating well-researched volume. It looks like I can forget whatever else I might have intended to do in the evenings this week!
Hmm, a Pendle Heritage Centre in Burnley is indeed bizarre as the only one I know of is in Barrowford and so the opposite side of Nelson from Burnley ( About 8km from Burnley ) :stir:
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Still in stock at Amazon I am pleased to confirm having ordered a copy.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Pendlemac wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 00:14
the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:26 Spotted this yesterday in the bizarre location of Pendle Heritage Centre, Burnley.

Hmm, a Pendle Heritage Centre in Burnley is indeed bizarre as the only one I know of is in Barrowford and so the opposite side of Nelson from Burnley ( About 8km from Burnley ) :stir:
That's the one. But if I'd described the location more accurately how many readers wouldn't have known where it was hence why a book about the A1 was unexpected amongst the extensive tomes on witches and Lancashire? :stir: :lol:

Me reactivating this thread seems to have found Wolfie another two sales. Do I deserve some commission?
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

My copy just arrived - looks good!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

So after things hanging in the balance for a while, the publisher has been bought out and other stuff going on, I can finally announce....

Highways of Britain - Then and Now

(It may lose the 'then and now' bit)

Should be published in June 2022.

A general history of Britain's roads!

:D :D :D
Wolfie

FB me!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Nice one, the A1 book was very good, so a high bar to beat!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

The new book will definitely on my list.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Sssh, don’t tell Guy Barry you’ve written a book about the history of roads …. Nah, just kidding, I look forward to reading it!
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I have to admit I've been re-reading the Great North Road book recently - it's just as good second time around - would definitely recommend it.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps