The Great North Road - Then and Now. Its OUT!!!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

dragonv480

Re: The Great North Road - Then and Now. Its OUT!!!

Post by dragonv480 »

Mine arrived yesterday, but not yet opened it to look. The packaging was damaged in the post, but looking through the hole, the book itself seems unscathed. Looking forward to a quick peek tomorrow :)
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Apparently Sally Traffic has seen a copy. Anyone know if shes mentioned it on the radio? (I don't listen to Radio 2 lol)
Wolfie

FB me!
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Lonewolf wrote:Apparently Sally Traffic has seen a copy. Anyone know if shes mentioned it on the radio? (I don't listen to Radio 2 lol)
Nowadays you're more likely to hear the likes of Iron Maiden on Radio 2 than Radio 1 :devil:
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Anyone read it yet?
Wolfie

FB me!
A1OZZ

Post by A1OZZ »

Lonewolf wrote:Anyone read it yet?
Hi Lonewolf,

Yes my copy arrived last Saturday and it has been a really facinating and interesting read. Well done on producing a beautifully researched and presented book 8-)

I live a couple of miles from Stamford/Great Casterton so the Peterborough to Grantham section is of most interest to me having travelled up and down this section now for 35 years and apart from the roundabout removals nothing much has changed and Stamford is still jammed at times down St Johns Street!

If anyone has got a picture of the roundabout near Tickencote I would love to see it. I never knew one existed here and just asumed the present layout was as when the bypass was built in the 60s.

Owen
jlsmith

Post by jlsmith »

Just got my copy today for my birthday from Mrs jlsmith and have been loving all the pictures. Even read some of the words too! :wink:

Look forward to having a proper read over the next few days. Really good job though.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I managed to grab a good couple of hours with it over the course of the weekend after not getting the time to look at it for the best part of a week…!

I'm currently up to page 138(?) which takes us up to approaching Dishforth. The section of the A1 that I know by far the most is from Pontefract up to the Scottish boarder – so I'm now into territory I know the most and can personally relate to several of the alterations that have taken place along here (particularly in Yorkshire) over the last 20 years or so.

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. All I'll say is that it's genuinely riveting. I've even found myself having Google Street View on standby whilst reading some of the pages! As someone who enjoys the history of routes, seeing pictures of former alignments, old coaching inn's e.t.c. really does appeal to me. Also what's interesting and took me by surprise are alignments which are prior to previous long established alignments in some places.

It really is excellent work. If youve ever thinking about doing another one on another lengthy road (A41, A5 e.t.c..), I'll certainly be up for reading that too…! :wink: :lol:
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Tinpusher

Post by Tinpusher »

Bought this for Father's Day, for my dad naturally. He used to hitchhike the A1 back in the late 60s when he was just starting out in the army. Back and forth to Catterick the (former) home of the Royal Signals.

He loves it, and has spent the best part of this weekend (we're visiting the folks) talking about his own stories and memories of the changes he has witnessed. If he says "I remember that!" one more time, my mother says she will swing for him :)

Brilliant book Wolfie!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Jools Holland has bought a copy! :shock: :shock:
Wolfie

FB me!
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

haymansafc wrote:I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
It ends in Edinburgh. Oops, sorry, I've given the plot away :oops:

Seriously, I'll second what others have said - it's a very attractive, well-produced book and a fascinating read. The contrast in some of the before and after pictures is startling.

The A1 is a bit of a tangent road for me, though, so I can't say I'm all that familiar with it. I've probably driven all of it north of Alconbury at least once, but have never touched it south of there. The section from there down to Baldock does look as though it has a lot of interest.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
A329Mdren

Post by A329Mdren »

Ahh, where do I order?
14 years old, living in the good 'ol town of Reading in Berkshire.
I love Metallica and Green Day, and playing my guitar!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Wolfie

FB me!
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

If I'd known they were making a book I'd have sent this over, gone but not forgotten.

DunsBus

Post by DunsBus »

Ordered. :D
zapalniczka

Post by zapalniczka »

also ordered. 8-)
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Just to let you know that I have now finished reading this book. It's worth every penny and an enjoyable read from start to finish. Fabulous pictures of older alignments, comparisons over the time and nicely written too.

I don't want to go into specifics as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet.

It's a shame there isn't anything else quite like it on the market on the subject of specific roads.
Lonewolf wrote:Jools Holland has bought a copy! :shock: :shock:
Crikey! Lets just hope he gives it some publicity!
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Cheers Hayman, glad you like. So far I'm only hearing good noises.

Out of curiosity as you probably know by now, SABRE gets a good plug in the book. Has it attracted any new membership?
Wolfie

FB me!
zapalniczka

Post by zapalniczka »

arrived today...not getting much work done.

great book, just picture flicking right now but I know what I'm doing this sunny weekend.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Just ordered my copy (o:
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Mattsignmaker

Post by Mattsignmaker »

Finally ordered a copy, can i just ask, does it have anything about the old alignment through brookmans park?