Pointless motorway overhead messages

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

trickstat

Re: Pointless motorway overhead messages

Post by trickstat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 18:31

Big Nick wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 17:47
On the M25 east before J26 - "EAST HERTS - REDUCE TRAVEL". Still busy though.
I presume those of us in Herts' other 9 districts have already reduced travel?

EpicChef
Forum Moderator

Post by EpicChef » Wed Dec 23, 2020 22:03

Bryn666 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 15:04
Matthew wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 13:04
It's not cry wolf though, is it? Firstly it says "reports of" which means at least one person has called it to the Police or Highways England. Secondly, just because it's not seen by the poster, it doesn't mean it wasn't / isn't there.

It would be unwise to go back to "incident | slow down" without any specific message or, worst still, leave the VMS offline until confirmed.
Would "Cyclist reported" be a better wording than "Report of cyclist"? Genuine question, as I get why it's done but the wording has never sat right with me. Obviously difficult to fit anything meaningful on a 2 line gantry VMS, bit easier on a giant MS4 with pictogram.
Really on an MS4 we’d want a red triangle with a cycle inside it.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

fras

Post by fras » Wed Dec 23, 2020 22:38

I've seen similar coming off the M6 Toll. "WEST MIDS REDUCE TRAVEL", and "STAFFS REDUCE TRAVEL". Is it and order or an announcement. Pretty pointless, anyway.

EpicChef
Forum Moderator

Post by EpicChef » Thu Dec 24, 2020 19:50

“Reduce travel” has been replaced with Tier 2 Stay Local, Tier 3 Stay Local, or Tier 4 Stay Home.

darkcape
Social Media Admin

Post by darkcape » Fri Dec 25, 2020 07:03

Bryn666 wrote:
Matthew wrote:
It's not cry wolf though, is it? Firstly it says "reports of" which means at least one person has called it to the Police or Highways England. Secondly, just because it's not seen by the poster, it doesn't mean it wasn't / isn't there.

It would be unwise to go back to "incident | slow down" without any specific message or, worst still, leave the VMS offline until confirmed.
Would "Cyclist reported" be a better wording than "Report of cyclist"? Genuine question, as I get why it's done but the wording has never sat right with me. Obviously difficult to fit anything meaningful on a 2 line gantry VMS, bit easier on a giant MS4 with pictogram.
I've seen several "Reports of..." recently including Fire, Obstruction, Stranded vehicle etc. At least giving some detail tells you what to look out for. I prefer it rather than some random incident which may or may not effect you.

Big L
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Big L » Fri Jan 22, 2021 15:05

This morning this sign was lit up with "Congestion at M6 J19 exit". Nothing south of there had anything similar. I was approximately where the green truck is when I saw the sign. I was waiting, in a perfectly normal everyday queue, to exit. At M6 J19.
Make poetry history.

B4444

Post by B4444 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:02

This sign, M3 south approaching J7, has been 'broken' for at least 2 years. You can see an attempt was made to investigate (at least 2 years ago) but obviously to no avail. How much do these things cost?

the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man » Fri Jan 22, 2021 19:37

Bryn666 wrote:
Would "Cyclist reported" be a better wording than "Report of cyclist"?
No: the response might be "So what has this cyclist reported then?"

Matthew

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 24, 2021 13:27

B4444 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:02
This sign, M3 south approaching J7, has been 'broken' for at least 2 years. You can see an attempt was made to investigate (at least 2 years ago) but obviously to no avail. How much do these things cost?
If that's the case report it to Highways England and you'll get a response back. Being broken for two years does sound excessive, particularly as it appears to be the more modern version of the MS2s type.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.

Matthew

Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 24, 2021 13:30

Bryn666 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Forgot to reply to this. Sorry Bryn.

"Report of" is singular, whereas "reported" could be a single or several sources. I take on board what you say about the two-line VMS (with the smallest sitting at 2 x 12 characters) but it's preferable to find a message that is consistent, regardless of type.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.

Bryn666

Post by Bryn666 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 13:35

Matthew wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 13:30
Bryn666 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Forgot to reply to this. Sorry Bryn.

"Report of" is singular, whereas "reported" could be a single or several sources. I take on board what you say about the two-line VMS (with the smallest sitting at 2 x 12 characters) but it's preferable to find a message that is consistent, regardless of type.
That makes sense, thanks Matthew.
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

EpicChef
Forum Moderator

Post by EpicChef » Sun Jan 24, 2021 14:55

The “REPORT OF [cyclist/pedestrian/animals etc.]” is relatively recent. IIRC, a few years ago standard practice was just to show “INCIDENT” until it is known exactly what it was. Then once confirmed it’s changed to “[cyclist/pedestrians/animals etc.] IN ROAD”.