New Lower Thames Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: New Lower Thames Crossing

Post by Truvelo »

Now let's see if the big GSJs shown in the initial consultation material make it through to the final design.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The best choice IMO but I would've preferred the eastern leg to the south side rather than western.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Glom

Re: RE: Re: New Lower Thames Crossing

Post by Glom »

Truvelo wrote:Now let's see if the big GSJs shown in the initial consultation material make it through to the final design.
Was this the option with the four level stack? *bursts with excitement*
jackal

Post by jackal »

Unfortunately not, that was route 4, the preferred route is 3. This is the route 3 A13 junction:
Route 3.PNG
The connection to the A13E is inadequate, going through the existing Orsett Cock roundabout.

At the A2, the recommendation at the consultation was for the Eastern Southern Link, but the preferred route is for the Western Southern Link. This was planned with the 30mph trumpet shown below:
WSL.PNG
HE now think 't is possible to improve the performance of the WSL and provide a full standard free-flowing junction solution at the new A2 junction' (link).
fras

Post by fras »

All experience of road schemes in the last 30 years is they will be heavily delayed, or not built at all. Is this to be another example ?

The boss of HE says they want it there in 2025 so work must start in 2020, a mere 3 and a half years away. I can't see it myself, frankly.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

darkcape wrote:The best choice IMO but I would've preferred the eastern leg to the south side rather than western.
I guess the advantage of the western connection to the A2 rather than the eastern one, is that it makes it a shorter alternative to the existing M25 for drivers already on the M25 or coming out of London, for days like today when one of the tunnels was closed due to a breakdown...
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

fras wrote:All experience of road schemes in the last 30 years is they will be heavily delayed, or not built at all. Is this to be another example ?

The boss of HE says they want it there in 2025 so work must start in 2020, a mere 3 and a half years away. I can't see it myself, frankly.
I think this will be built, the area will grind to a halt without the extra crossing, and with the existing crossing having raked in vast sums of money over the years, it's not as if it'll require controversial new road tolls either...
fras

Post by fras »

Scratchwood wrote:
fras wrote:All experience of road schemes in the last 30 years is they will be heavily delayed, or not built at all. Is this to be another example ?

I think this will be built, the area will grind to a halt without the extra crossing, and with the existing crossing having raked in vast sums of money over the years, it's not as if it'll require controversial new road tolls either...
It will surely be tolled as if not nobody will use the Dartford crossing ! The new Mersey bridge is tolled, the old bridge will be tolled when the new bridge opens.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

fras wrote:
Scratchwood wrote:

It will surely be tolled as if not nobody will use the Dartford crossing ! The new Mersey bridge is tolled, the old bridge will be tolled when the new bridge opens.
What I meant, is that because the existing crossing is already tolled, it won't require a controversial new toll! Introducing a toll for the first time is always the controversial bit

Obviously they'll have the same tolls on both crossings :)
jackal

Post by jackal »

Here's an improved version of the A13 interchange, with the A13E<->LTC movements added:
LTC A13 interchange revised - Copy.jpg
This is the original with the missing movements:
Attachments
LTC A13 interchange - Copy.jpg
Last edited by jackal on Sun Apr 16, 2017 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Obviously it's quite irrelevant at this stage and for a few years to come yet, but i wonder on what number will be allocated to the new crossing?
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Lewis1997 wrote:Obviously it's quite irrelevant at this stage and for a few years to come yet, but i wonder on what number will be allocated to the new crossing?
I'm not that bothered about the actual number but it would be nice if it started with an M...

Possibly A2000 if what handshandy was saying about the old Forth crossing becoming the A9000 turns out to be correct.
Glom

Post by Glom »

A9000? That's a Dragonball Z meme.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

roadtester wrote:Possibly A2000 if what handshandy was saying about the old Forth crossing becoming the A9000 turns out to be correct.
There are various bits of documentation on the Transport Scotland web site referring to A9000, and some recently erected signs that state "A90" with a suspicious blanking plate to the right of it, so A9000 looks likely indeed.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the rumours that the Labour party might scrap the preferred route announced, go back to the drawing board with regards the Lower Thames Crossing and start re-examining the discarded options such as expanding the Dartford Crossing again.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Andy McDonald, the Shadow Secretary of State for Transport, said that 'all options' would be considered again if Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister next week, with Chris Grayling's decision to approve the new route linking Kent and Essex having divided opinion.

He said: “Before we agree to spending £6.5 billion we have to be sure that we will actually resolve the problem of congestion around the existing crossing and that is then done in a way that does as little damage as possible.”
http://highwaysmagazine.co.uk/labour-sa ... -decision/
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

roadtester wrote:
Lewis1997 wrote:Obviously it's quite irrelevant at this stage and for a few years to come yet, but i wonder on what number will be allocated to the new crossing?
I'm not that bothered about the actual number but it would be nice if it started with an M...

Possibly A2000 if what handshandy was saying about the old Forth crossing becoming the A9000 turns out to be correct.
It would have to start with a 1 to be in zone as an A or M road, the A282 is really out of zone as its clockwise end is in the 1 zone.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

lotrjw wrote:
roadtester wrote:Possibly A2000 if what handshandy was saying about the old Forth crossing becoming the A9000 turns out to be correct.
It would have to start with a 1 to be in zone as an A or M road, the A282 is really out of zone as its clockwise end is in the 1 zone.
This is true, but unfortunately the chances that the person who chooses its number will know or care about the zoning system are pretty slim. My money says they'll give it whatever vacant, catchy number they like the sound of.

If a vacant number is wanted my vote would go to A150, which would be correct by the zoning rules, is an easy to remember "round" number, has been vacant since 1935 so won't be confused with any existing road, and sounds important. I'd vote against a four-digit number because four-digit numbers sound unimportant. The A9000 is suitable for the old Forth Bridge because it's the old bypassed road - it wouldn't be suitable for the new main road.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Chris5156 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
This is true, but unfortunately the chances that the person who chooses its number will know or care about the zoning system are pretty slim. My money says they'll give it whatever vacant, catchy number they like the sound of.

If a vacant number is wanted my vote would go to A150, which would be correct by the zoning rules, is an easy to remember "round" number, has been vacant since 1935 so won't be confused with any existing road, and sounds important. I'd vote against a four-digit number because four-digit numbers sound unimportant. The A9000 is suitable for the old Forth Bridge because it's the old bypassed road - it wouldn't be suitable for the new main road.
If an M number then M15 then.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

I find it crazy that they are not doing anything to the A229. It is rubbish now, and ideally needs to be D3 between the M2 and M20 now. I can't imagine the traffic levels after the crossing is built. I personally think there should be a new motorway between the M2, slightly east of Junction 3 (at a junction 3A, which is combined into J3) and the M20 between J7 and 8 (new J7A). It would have a couple of junction in between, one for the A278 (which would be extended form J4 on the M2 to this motorway) and one for the A249. It would be D3M or D4M throughout and would be called the M22. It could also be extended to Hastings.

But that's just fantasy and would never see the light of day.
lotrjw wrote:If an M number then M15 then.
I would use this but extend it north to York and have it starting at M2 J1 (current, of course, the M2 should be extended to at least the M25)
It would borrow part of the A289 (widened, of course), avoiding Shorne Woods. My M21 also starts at this junction, which would serve as an Outer London Orbital of sorts, until it meets the M17 which completes the route back round London (but running anti-clockwise from zone 1, unlike the M21 which would run clockwise), but again, they would never build that.
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!