New Google Maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SC2

New Google Maps

Post by SC2 »

Is anyone else using the new google maps? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

I think the new style is fairly smart, but I'm not a huge fan of the colours.

It also seems a bit slower to load.
Comstock
Banned

Re: New Google Maps

Post by Comstock »

Is this going to be compulsory :cry: . I'm happy with google maps the way it is. I'm against anything that slows things down :roll:
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

Not really impressed. Streetview is quite awkward to use being used to dragging the man to where I want to go. Also it's really annoying that the images bit comes up everytime you switch from maps to earth view. It wasn't broke, it didn't need fixing.
SC2

Post by SC2 »

Comstock wrote:Is this going to be compulsory :cry: . I'm happy with google maps the way it is. I'm against anything that slows things down :roll:
Maybe in the long term, but I don't think its imminent for everyone.

I also wasn't hugely impressed with the new method of getting on streetview, but I liked being on streetview better.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Unfortunately, it's coincided with me suffering serious internet slow down (0.12mb/s download speeds) so I'm unable to give it a proper go. What I did notice is that pretty much anything that's not an A road is white, which is a bit misleading.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Am I the only one who finds the whole method of accessing it a little snooty?

'Request an invite' then wait- really that hard to just press 'go to new maps' instead?
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

swarkestonecauseway wrote:
Comstock wrote:Is this going to be compulsory :cry: . I'm happy with google maps the way it is. I'm against anything that slows things down :roll:
Maybe in the long term, but I don't think its imminent for everyone.

I also wasn't hugely impressed with the new method of getting on streetview, but I liked being on streetview better.
My experience with internet content providers generally is they rarely support old and new webpages very long.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear it won't be long before they force us all to 'upgrade'
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

How does the new map style become available — I was using it earlier and it hadn't changed?
SC2

Post by SC2 »

You get an add on the side, it asks you if you want to be invited, you press you do, they send you an email.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

I'm still waiting for my invite. They'll put you on it anyway no doubt so might as well get on early.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

ForestChav wrote:I'm still waiting for my invite. They'll put you on it anyway no doubt so might as well get on early.
Same here: I requested an invite. Thought it would be a case of push the request button, then go straight to inbox - but no - still waiting for it several days later
SC2

Post by SC2 »

It doesn't take that long to get your invite, mine took about a week I think
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

I've managed to find the link to request the invite here.

(I've linked the mobile view as I'm on the iPad so may need to edit the address to make it work on a desktop)
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

I requested an invite and realised I use a 'throwaway' email for Google, for which the password is a dim and distant memory!
SuperCoolAl

Post by SuperCoolAl »

Only having primary routes and motorways in a distinguishable colour might be a poor choice. How am I supposed to navigate using this? (Though using GIF is greying the white roads making it look slightly worse).
Attachments
Google.gif
OSM.gif
jmbillings

Post by jmbillings »

I'm finding it a little slower too. Certainly prettier, but needs a boost of performance.
Seems to default to the US on startup and I haven't figured out how to set it back to my local area again.
Streetview new method not bothering me too much (right click on map, click in box) but fill out the feedback if it is (that's the whole point of the beta after all :))
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

I got accepted to use it but don't know how to haha
SuperCoolAl

Post by SuperCoolAl »

Follow the link in the email, wait for the page to load fully.
Burns

Post by Burns »

How do you link a streetview image? I had to revert back to the old maps because I couldn't find anywhere to get the link. I'm probably missing something obvious.

I also can't seem to work out how to get it to automatically start at a designated postcode.
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

Burns wrote:How do you link a streetview image?
It looks like the parameters in the browser's address bar constantly get updated with every tweak you make, so just copy the entire URL. I guess the "short links" are deprecated.
John