New Google Maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: New Google Maps

Post by Johnathan404 »

Google has maps and directions for the interior for nearly every Currys-PC World in the country :shock:
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Johnathan404 wrote:Google has maps and directions for the interior for nearly every Currys-PC World in the country :shock:
If they would do the same for Ikea then I'm sure more people would find that useful!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Stevie D wrote:
Johnathan404 wrote:Google has maps and directions for the interior for nearly every Currys-PC World in the country :shock:
If they would do the same for Ikea then I'm sure more people would find that useful!
"Where are the meatballs?"

"Find me a way out of here?!?!?!"
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

Truvelo wrote:Something else I've found the with new maps is it's no longer possible to stitch screengrabs together to make a bigger image as there's some sort of distortion around the edges. This is a blow when I'm drawing maps. Fortunately the maps on Bing are distortion free and join together perfectly.
I've found that issue as well. I can't understand why it happens, but it became very annoying until I realised this as the images would not match, despite the identical zoom levels.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

At the start of the new style, a few months ago, there was still a Link url icon. It wasn't as prominent as the old interface but it was in there. Now that's gone as well.

I somehow get the impression that management of Google Maps is now being done by the 3rd Year IT Class.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

WHBM wrote:At the start of the new style, a few months ago, there was still a Link url icon. It wasn't as prominent as the old interface but it was in there. Now that's gone as well.
Just copy the contents of your browser's address bar. Does the same thing...
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I was visiting some friends a couple of weeks ago, and used Google maps to get some directions. I decided to look at their house in Streetview - I was interested to see how their road had changed as I had lived in the same area myself back in the late 70s early 80s.

As I panned around the close where they live, the car in their drive changed, suggesting images of different vintages from different passes of the GSV camera cars. Has anyone else come across this?
James

Post by James »

WHBM wrote:At the start of the new style, a few months ago, there was still a Link url icon. It wasn't as prominent as the old interface but it was in there. Now that's gone as well.

I somehow get the impression that management of Google Maps is now being done by the 3rd Year IT Class.
The 'Share or Embed map' option has moved to the location bar hamburger menu
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Paianni wrote:
Just copy the contents of your browser's address bar. Does the same thing...
Fine if you are using a format where you can embed a link and give it a friendly name, but if you want to show a particular GSV image then

Code: Select all

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Newcastle+upon+Tyne,+Tyne+and+Wear/@54.961956,-1.618625,3a,66.8y,42.36h,88.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-EGJO-KJVnMwlBRnz7GE2w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x487d857e0c6f64cd:0xbe252b072a76191
is a bit of a mouthful to paste in.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

James wrote:the location bar hamburger menu
Thank you but is a more straightforward explanation available :)

Yes, pasting the url will do, but that's rather techy, it used to be a nice clickable feature which just seems to have been forgotten.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

James wrote:The 'Share or Embed map' option has moved to the location bar hamburger menu
And in GSV it's in the "three dots" menu.
Pat Pending

Post by Pat Pending »

roadtester wrote:
As I panned around the close where they live, the car in their drive changed, suggesting images of different vintages from different passes of the GSV camera cars. Has anyone else come across this?
Yes! I was looking the other day and the car on our drive disappears as you get closer.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

WHBM wrote:Yes, pasting the url will do, but that's rather techy, it used to be a nice clickable feature which just seems to have been forgotten.
Wait, copying and pasting a web address is techy? Isn't that what everyone does when they want to share a web page? Surely any features above and beyond that would be considered "techy"
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

It's like the people who always go to Google to get to a website rather than entering the URL in the address bar.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Jeni wrote:Wait, copying and pasting a web address is techy? Isn't that what everyone does when they want to share a web page? Surely any features above and beyond that would be considered "techy"
What's a web address? The bit at the top is where you write what you want; enter "youtube" if you want YouTube.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

I wasn't aware that we'd suddenly had a long stretch of motorway opened... (according to google) :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2749414,-0.7898878,9z
Attachments
Capture.PNG
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I wasn't aware that we'd suddenly had a long stretch of motorway opened... (according to google) :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2749414,-0.7898878,9z
If you zoom in its only the southbound thats motorway!
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

But from Red House to Darrington, it's both ways!
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Pat Pending wrote:
roadtester wrote:
Yes! I was looking the other day and the car on our drive disappears as you get closer.
I was "moving" along a road once on GSV and the images went from summer to winter! Leaves disappeared from the trees and a bright sunny sky turned grey and gloomy.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

mapboy wrote:I wasn't aware that we'd suddenly had a long stretch of motorway opened... (according to google) :wink:
I drove down there a couple of hours ago. I can report that Highways England haven't managed to change the signs yet... :laugh: