New Google Maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

lefthandedspanner

Re: New Google Maps

Post by lefthandedspanner »

I wasn't aware the A12 Westlink in Belfast is tolled.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

Never seen this before!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85935 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I wonder how high up it is in this picture! What I can tell you is that it is operated by Virgin Atlantic.
Harry
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

You used to be able to see the Lancaster flying over Huntingdon a few years ago but the image has been updated since then.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

Google Maps appears to have changed its appearance again - the colours appear to have been tweaked slightly, and now reminds me more of Apple Maps.
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I noticed this yesterday, and to my eyes it seemed even harder to see white roads in rural areas.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

In urban areas all I can see are bright blue pins marking things I'm not interested in. Ugh. Their design goes from bad to worse.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

The smaller roads appear to have outlines again which is better. Isn't it more orange as well which is easier to see?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote:In urban areas all I can see are bright blue pins marking things I'm not interested in. Ugh. Their design goes from bad to worse.
Innovation bonus somewhere...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Berk

Post by Berk »

A few years ago, I got... if not fed up, mildly peeved by the idiosyncratic colour scheme of Google Maps.

So I switched to the satellite view, and peace was restored. It’s a lot more realistic for finding your whereabouts too. Just needs a fairly robust signal to make it work.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Bryn666 wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:In urban areas all I can see are bright blue pins marking things I'm not interested in. Ugh. Their design goes from bad to worse.
Innovation bonus somewhere...
It wouldn't surprise me if this is how Google Maps makes its money. Google is an advertising company, after all. And those pins remind me a lot of adverts.
James

Post by James »

Google allow the map to be styled with whatever colours you like. How about adding a styled Google maps option to SABRE maps with the correct colours?

You can use the Google tool here
https://mapstyle.withgoogle.com/

Somebody has built a UK roads style already we could probably just use straight away with much more correct colours. Its not perfect due to Google not exposing differences between A and B roads. Check it out here https://snazzymaps.com/style/105543/bri ... ad-colours
uk map.png
vlad

Post by vlad »

James wrote:Somebody has built a UK roads style already we could probably just use straight away with much more correct colours. Its not perfect due to Google not exposing differences between A and B roads. Check it out here https://snazzymaps.com/style/105543/bri ... ad-colours
He doesn't understand the difference between a trunk road and a primary route - but then again who does?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Viator

Post by Viator »

vlad wrote:
James wrote:Somebody has built a UK roads style already we could probably just use straight away with much more correct colours. Its not perfect due to Google not exposing differences between A and B roads. Check it out here https://snazzymaps.com/style/105543/bri ... ad-colours
He doesn't understand the difference between a trunk road and a primary route - but then again who does?
There are also quite a lot of "unclassified" roads (in the "not Class I or II" sense) being shown in A/B orange too.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It still comes down to the classifications being unhelpful - the A1, A14 and A50 in the East of England and East Midlands are not the same as the A140, A148, and A603 - there needs to be a classification like superprimary to indicate trunk roads, expressways, and high quality local routes...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
James

Post by James »

I know this has been discussed to death, yes its frustrating that theres no expressway standard

We have the situation where you can't easily tell from most maps and signs whether the A road is
1) Dual (paper maps, and OS maps you can)
2) Grade seperated

So you end up with the situation where you can have a nice 70MPH expressway style road, or a 50MPH twisty DC with at grade roundabouts, traffic lights, cameras etc.

Google etc dont help by only using the access controlled (darker orange) colour for motorways. This ignores HQDC roads completly.

I kind of miss the US approach where they use the freeway designation, irrsepective of whether the road is an Interstate, state route etc. You generally know you'll make good progress on a freeway, without having to resort to street view or paper maps to see what the road acutally looks like!
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Berk wrote:A few years ago, I got... if not fed up, mildly peeved by the idiosyncratic colour scheme of Google Maps.

So I switched to the satellite view, and peace was restored. It’s a lot more realistic for finding your whereabouts too. Just needs a fairly robust signal to make it work.
But on Satellite view on some browser / machine combos, it defaults to "3D view" with wobbly buildings that take forever to load properly on a slow connection - and no way of turning it off. You can't see the actual satellite view on some browsers now. If you want to see some detail on the satellite images it's now impossible - it just won't let you zoom in past a certain point without taking you to streetview.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

RickyB_uk wrote:But on Satellite view on some browser / machine combos, it defaults to "3D view" with wobbly buildings that take forever to load properly on a slow connection - and no way of turning it off. You can't see the actual satellite view on some browsers now. If you want to see some detail on the satellite images it's now impossible - it just won't let you zoom in past a certain point without taking you to streetview.
You can disable the 3D view in the options menu.
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (43.07 KiB) Viewed 660 times
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

mapboy wrote:
RickyB_uk wrote:But on Satellite view on some browser / machine combos, it defaults to "3D view" with wobbly buildings that take forever to load properly on a slow connection - and no way of turning it off. You can't see the actual satellite view on some browsers now. If you want to see some detail on the satellite images it's now impossible - it just won't let you zoom in past a certain point without taking you to streetview.
That must be a recent thing - it didn't use to exist I'm sure
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

RickyB_uk wrote:
mapboy wrote:
Its been there for a while! But by default 3D is on and will always be on the next time you come back to it even if you turn it off. Thats why I use Google Earth now! :D
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

poshbakerloo wrote:
RickyB_uk wrote:
mapboy wrote: You can disable the 3D view in the options menu.
Its been there for a while! But by default 3D is on and will always be on the next time you come back to it even if you turn it off. Thats why I use Google Earth now! :D
I found this behaviour using Firefox or Windows Edge but not in Chrome. In fact Chrome doesn't give the 3D option at all.