New Google Maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FleetlinePhil

Re: New Google Maps

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Never seen this before!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85935 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I wonder how high up it is in this picture! What I can tell you is that it is operated by Virgin Atlantic
There used to be an airliner flying over one of the squares in either the City or possibly Soho, heading south if I recall and quite sharply rendered. I tend to use Google Earth, but I assume it would have been the same image on Maps?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Wow. I knew Google Maps was bad, but this - apparently helping me navigate a residential area - is something else.
Untitled.png
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I have just found a Simple Maps option that I haven’t seen before. It renders a very smart map, but probably more useful for adding data to than for navigating with.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 20:16 Wow. I knew Google Maps was bad, but this - apparently helping me navigate a residential area - is something else.

Untitled.png
Since broadband and 4G connections have improved, I always load Google Maps with satellite imaging loaded by default. Makes up for the otherwise poor standard of the mapping.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Johnathan404 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 23:50 I have just found a Simple Maps option that I haven’t seen before. It renders a very smart map, but probably more useful for adding data to than for navigating with.
How do you get to the simple map?