A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9Craig

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9Craig »

I’ve knocked up a chart showing possible construction timescales for the remaining schemes yet to start, if the 2025 deadline is to be met. This is based on current progress through planning and estimated construction times from the ES. A lot of guesswork involved (particularly Crubenmore to Kincraig, and I haven’t even bothered with Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing), but it does show the potential challenges ahead. For example, from mid-2022 there’s 20 months of everything under construction.
A9 Construction.png
Euan

Post by Euan »

A very interesting chart. Under this scenario we would essentially be looking at 2022 and 2023 as the pivotal years when major progress takes place with a noticeable difference come 2024 i.e. much more of the 110 miles of the A9 between Perth and Inverness would be dualled than not. Looking at the latest assessment of the time estimates it seems as if this particular timescale would assume a medium case scenario, so there is every chance that in reality the construction time periods could turn out to be drastically different.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
IAN

Post by IAN »

The chart also suggests that during 2023 there would be 7 schemes or 35-40 miles of roadworks at the same time, a nightmare scenario for travellers!

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The 2025 target was only ever a best case scenario, if there were no PLIs or other objections holding up the process for any of the schemes.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

IAN wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 The chart also suggests that during 2023 there would be 7 schemes or 35-40 miles of roadworks at the same time, a nightmare scenario for travellers!
Those schemes total around 64 miles. I think it’s safe to say that level of disruption won’t be acceptable, so the alternative is to push the target date for completion back a few years. 2028 might be more realistic.
A9 2028.png
Last edited by A9Craig on Sat Aug 17, 2019 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

A9Craig wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:04 Those schemes total around 64 miles. I think it’s safe to say that level of disruption won’t be acceptable, so the alternative is to push the target date for completion back a few years. 2028 might be more realistic.
It's also possible that construction within some of the longer schemes could be phased so that only part of the scheme is under construction at one time. With Dalraddy to Slochd for example it may be sensible for the section near Aviemore to be worked on while Tomatin to Moy is under construction.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

How many contractors have the expertise along with staff and equipment to tackle more than two of these contracts at any one time
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Another factor to consider is, if construction workers are filling every B&B and guest house for miles due to mass simultaneous construction on the A9, where are the tourists going to stay? If they can’t find somewhere for the night then they aren’t going to visit, and what will the cost of that be to the economy of the area?
IAN

Post by IAN »

With large projects, don’t the contractors build a site ‘village’ which includes accommodation sections?

Ian(M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Berk

Post by Berk »

Surely it’s only an option for very large projects. Of which there haven’t been any in the UK for some time.

I think the workforce mainly lives close to the site, rather than next to it, like this.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Berk wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 15:29 Surely it’s only an option for very large projects. Of which there haven’t been any in the UK for some time.
What counts as “very large”? I’d expect the AWPR and A14 projects both would, for instance.

For the AWPR, I’m not aware that there was a single “village”, but at least one hotel was taken over exclusively for workers accommodation.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Yes, something like that, or a major motorway or railway.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

A nice camp beside the distillery at Dalwhinnie would do - just like the camps the dam builders had in the 50's and 60's
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Gav

Post by Gav »

Has someone completed a strip map of the new proposed road yet ?
DaStreetsweep

Post by DaStreetsweep »

Ok so I know that the first of 11 projects on the A9 is now done with Kincraig to Dalraddy completed a couple of years back.

I've recently seen up close and personal the start of the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam work.

But what about the third stage. I know that preparatory work has been completed for most of the other 9 projects but I guess I'm asking which of them is likely to commence first...…..any inside info?
Dual the A9, dual and bypass the A77, and bypass Crocketford and Springholm on the A75.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

DaStreetsweep wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 22:53 Ok so I know that the first of 11 projects on the A9 is now done with Kincraig to Dalraddy completed a couple of years back.

I've recently seen up close and personal the start of the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam work.

But what about the third stage. I know that preparatory work has been completed for most of the other 9 projects but I guess I'm asking which of them is likely to commence first...…..any inside info?
Glen Garry - Dalwhinnie is the only project that has made it through the examination process so is likely to be at the head of the queue.

Dalwhinnie - Crubenmore looks to be not far behind this and given it is geographically adjacent, a reasonable guess might be that these two projects would be combined together and procured jointly as the next section to start construction.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Has anyone proposed a numbering scheme for these combined schemes - from south to north?? Scheme 1, 2, 3 etc??

Whilst I’m reasonably familiar with the names now, there are so many schemes, it isn’t always clear where they lie in sequence or can be linked together.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

The chart I posted above on August 17th lists the schemes south to north (I combined Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore as they are likely to merge into one).

I'd agree these schemes, along with Pitlochry to Killiecrankie, will probably be the next ones to start construction.

Two other schemes could be merged, Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing and Tay Crossing to Ballinluig. Given the issues around Dunkeld I think this is unlikely. TS did envisage this as one project at one time though.
A9 Overview.png
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

Contraflow is to be extended south of Luncarty to enable tie-in work to be completed

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... -reminder/
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Some updates from the DPEA today:

The pre-inquiry meeting for Tay Crossing to Ballinluig took place as planned on 15 August. There remain 15 outstanding objects of which 9 of these are statutory. Three objectors wish to take part in the inquiry although one of these is Network Rail so may well be withdrawn as has been the case with the previous schemes. The other two objectors (both private families) have requested hearing sessions and the reporter has accepted this with sessions planned for the week beginning 4 November. Inquiry sessions for Network Rail will also be held that week should their objection maintained.

A pre-inquiry meeting for Killiecrankie to Glen Garry has been scheduled for 19 September.

Current state of all the schemes:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Inquiry/hearing sessions scheduled for week beginning 4 November.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Awaiting issue of report to Scottish Ministers following cancellation of inquiry sessions (last updated April 2019).

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Pre-inquiry session scheduled for 19 September.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019, the scheme now awaits Made Orders.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Awaiting issue of report to Scottish Ministers following cancellation of inquiry session (last updated May 2019).

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Not yet with DPEA.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: With DPEA, awaiting allocation to reporter.

Tomatin to Moy: Inquiry sessions cancelled, now awaiting schedule of amendments to CPO from Transport Scotland after which the reporter will prepare the report for Scottish Ministers.