A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

exiled
Committee Member

Re: A9 dualling

Post by exiled »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 09:31
Berk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 23:14It’s just that you know without any sort of eligibility check (or availability rules), you’ll end up with neds/chavs roaming the buses and causing chaos, terrifying passengers (with kids etc.)...
I'm sorry, but that's a completely ridiculous overreaction. Where are these people at the moment? Presumably just walking the streets terrifying pedestrians with kids? Or, if you accept that you can walk around Scotland without being terrorised by 17-year-olds (which you can, by the way) then perhaps there just aren't hordes of "neds/chavs" (ugh) waiting to turn the country's buses into rolling gangland ghettoes?

It says a lot more about the negative stereotypes you hold about Scottish cities than it says about young people.
I can confirm that I get mugged or stabbed to death at least two, maybe three times a week on my public transport commute across Glasgow.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

Halmyre wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 06:00
Berk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 23:20
djw1981 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 22:51 No worse than any major city, and Trainspotting (though significant chunks were filmed in Glasgow) is set in Edinburgh.
I forgot that (even at the time it came out). Maybe it didn’t sit right somehow...
It's actually set in Leith, which is not Edinburgh, as any resident of Leith will tell you!
Ah but the folk of Pilton will tell you it was inspired by Muirhouse and Pilton in the late 1980's / early 1990's. Clearly, everyone claims a bit!
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Mikehannah wrote:I have actually looked at some of the cycling forums and I can only wonder in what reality the A9 or A96 they supposedly traveled were because it certainly wasn’t this one.
Claims of the road being empty and no case for upgrading them etc. The only time I have every been on either road when it can be considered to be quiet was between 1am and 6am. Other than that it is heavy traffic. I recently traveled on the A96 and I only got above 45 on the overtaking sections.

Does anyone know how much has been ear marked for A9 and A96 work. Is it just sufficient to progress the design work or can they start construction of the section that are “Shovel ready”.
I'm not sure what cycling forums you're talking about, generally the advice given out is don't.
Even for the NCN7 which automatically becomes the A9 cycle route more scenic options are usually given because its a dull route.

This may also be why the A82 through glen coe is not seen as a priority for an NMU route since we keep sending people round by Inveraray and oban.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

I think the posts were by avid cyclist who were driving the road not cycling it.

I am surprised they think it is dull, although the scenery down from Fort William to Glasgow via Loch Lomond is spectacular. The A9 north of Perth is far from dull.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Mikehannah wrote:I think the posts were by avid cyclist who were driving the road not cycling it.

I am surprised they think it is dull, although the scenery down from Fort William to Glasgow via Loch Lomond is spectacular. The A9 north of Perth is far from dull.
Compared to the alternative by the snow roads, and in the context of the ncn 7 route its not the best.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Mikehannah wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 22:12 I think the posts were by avid cyclist who were driving the road not cycling it.

Its not dull, but as you have to be more focused on speed its a road you cant really go checking the scenery quite so much. I enjoyed it the first time I drove it as it was the first time I had been into the Highlands, but I have since been up the A85 and A82 to Glencoe and I enjoyed that drive much more.
Of course when the A9 is dualled to Inverness it might feel a lot different, for a start it will be a quicker route and it is quite a distance from Perth to Inverness!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
B9099

Post by B9099 »

There has been a lot of coring/investigation works on the Birnam to Tay crossing section over the past couple of weeks. It seems quit an intense hit with multiple rigs in close proximity. Has this section taken a step forward in its final decision?
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Berk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 23:14 I’d probably agree with that. And the basic principle of giving college-age kids free transport is reasonably sound.

It’s just that you know without any sort of eligibility check (or availability rules), you’ll end up with neds/chavs roaming the buses and causing chaos, terrifying passengers (with kids etc.)...
As someone who lives in Glasgow and uses public transport this alleged carnage isn’t a situation I recognise at all. There’s always the odd Bam but Glasgow isn’t a scary city at all.

In terms of eligibility virtually all young people have Young Scot cards anyway so it won’t be a difficult one to roll out in terms of eligibility.

https://young.scot/the-young-scot-card
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

The only time to avoid the centre of Glasgow in my experience is during an old firm match. But that is not kids, that is stupid adult.

Does anyone know how much is in the budget and therefore how many sections will be start this year or will we continue to see the road dualled at its current “ glacial “ rate ?
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Mikehannah wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:47 Does anyone know how much is in the budget and therefore how many sections will be start this year or will we continue to see the road dualled at its current “ glacial “ rate ?
Considering there are no Made Orders yet and procurement would be expected to take about a year even under the most optimistic of timescales, it is very unlikely any schemes will be able to start construction this year. In the case of Luncary to Pass of Birnam, it took more than two years to get from Made Orders to the start of construction.
Euan

Post by Euan »

A9Dan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:28
Mikehannah wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:47 Does anyone know how much is in the budget and therefore how many sections will be start this year or will we continue to see the road dualled at its current “ glacial “ rate ?
Considering there are no Made Orders yet and procurement would be expected to take about a year even under the most optimistic of timescales, it is very unlikely any schemes will be able to start construction this year. In the case of Luncary to Pass of Birnam, it took more than two years to get from Made Orders to the start of construction.
In August last year it was estimated on here (page 71) that for the overall deadline of 2025 to be met much of the actual construction work would most likely take place from 2022-2024, although the Pass of Burnam to Tay Crossing scheme was not taken into account presumably as its progress has been lagging behind that of other schemes.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
C83

Post by C83 »

Euan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 22:12
A9Dan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:28
In August last year it was estimated on here (page 71) that for the overall deadline of 2025 to be met much of the actual construction work would most likely take place from 2022-2024, although the Pass of Burnam to Tay Crossing scheme was not taken into account presumably as its progress has been lagging behind that of other schemes.
I don't think it's quite next in the queue as far as the planning process goes, but Tay Crossing-Ballinluig should be a reasonably high priority, ideally with construction starting pretty much as soon as Luncarty-Pass or Birnam is complete, as traffic levels are generally a bit higher south of Pitlochry. Though other than the actual Dunkeld section, most other sections are likely to get through planning without too much more controversy.
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

I think it is fairly safe to say that 2025 will not be met unless they engage the services of Dombelldor construction. 2035 is more realistic.

From a project management perspective this entire undertaking has been wilfully inadequate. They need to be having two or three sections running at the same time, not the current , build a section, stop, scratch their collective rear ends and decide what next to do. It reminds me of the Crows in the original Jungle book ( showing my age) .

Three sections being constructed at the same time is about the maximum the average driver will tolerate. If the do the bulk of the work between 2022 to 2025 then it will mean turning almost the entire A9 into a thirty zone for four to five years , ouch!!!!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Mikehannah wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 13:26 I think it is fairly safe to say that 2025 will not be met unless they engage the services of Dombelldor construction. 2035 is more realistic.

From a project management perspective this entire undertaking has been wilfully inadequate. They need to be having two or three sections running at the same time, not the current , build a section, stop, scratch their collective rear ends and decide what next to do. It reminds me of the Crows in the original Jungle book ( showing my age) .

Three sections being constructed at the same time is about the maximum the average driver will tolerate. If the do the bulk of the work between 2022 to 2025 then it will mean turning almost the entire A9 into a thirty zone for four to five years , ouch!!!!
I bet if they had the manpower they could do projects in less than half the time! I wonder how many people it would take to do the whole road in 1 year? If you think it cant be done just remember the Chinese put a hospital up in a matter of days! Not weeks or months days! So with enough people it can be done! If the Scottish government are worried about money to do such a thing they should spread the cost over 5 years.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Re timing I still find it unbelievable that it takes at least a year from the distribution of tender documents to letting of a contract despite legal aspects and the fear of another Carrillion - sometimes you just want to kick a few backsides and tell them to get a move on
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

B9127 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 21:40 Re timing I still find it unbelievable that it takes at least a year from the distribution of tender documents to letting of a contract despite legal aspects and the fear of another Carrillion - sometimes you just want to kick a few backsides and tell them to get a move on
Very true, once the public enquiry is done and its signed off by ministers, it should be let out straight away. Also they should reduce the time between all the different processes.
IAN

Post by IAN »

Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross seems to be an example of a scheme where construction should commence shortly after final approval (within 6 months?) , so it can be done! In fact, it appears that a preferred contractor had been identified BEFORE final approval. (although the contractor has been subsequently altered)

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Stravaiger

Post by Stravaiger »

Now that the budget has been approved, perhaps we may see a few more made orders soon, eh?
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

The first set of inquiry sessions for Dalraddy to Slochd scheduled for next week have been cancelled due to the withdrawal of objections from various parties. The session related to the NMU provision has for now been postponed until the second set of inquiry sessions (for which a pre-inquiry meeting will be held on Monday) although an agreement between Transport Scotland and Cairngorms National Park Authority has been reached so it is likely that this session will no longer be required. The second set of inquiry sessions will however still need to go ahead later in the year relating to the two statutory objectors who made very late requests to appear at the inquiry sessions.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

A9Dan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 16:35 The first set of inquiry sessions for Dalraddy to Slochd scheduled for next week have been cancelled due to the withdrawal of objections from various parties. The session related to the NMU provision has for now been postponed until the second set of inquiry sessions (for which a pre-inquiry meeting will be held on Monday) although an agreement between Transport Scotland and Cairngorms National Park Authority has been reached so it is likely that this session will no longer be required. The second set of inquiry sessions will however still need to go ahead later in the year relating to the two statutory objectors who made very late requests to appear at the inquiry sessions.
So whats the current status of all the schemes?
how far along are they from being constructed?