A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9NWIL

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9NWIL »

Bryn666 wrote:Although if the choice boils down to at-grade junctions on cost grounds, infrequent roundabouts and LILOs would be far preferable to the utterly lethal gaps (see A90).
LILOs with long slip lanes, hopefully!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
B9127

Post by B9127 »

The contract for Luncarty to Pass of Birnam contract term seems to be 2 years plus 5 years maintenance i.e 84 months in total with a contract value circa £70 million - in Ireland the M17 Gort to Tuam had a contract term of 3 years for construction for around 53 kilometres with a value of 550 million Euros and was finished early - enlighten me - is the A9 more complicated (don't think so ) or are the contractors here more cautious
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Burns

Post by Burns »

B9127 wrote:The contract for Luncarty to Pass of Birnam contract term seems to be 2 years plus 5 years maintenance i.e 84 months in total with a contract value circa £70 million - in Ireland the M17 Gort to Tuam had a contract term of 3 years for construction for around 53 kilometres with a value of 550 million Euros and was finished early - enlighten me - is the A9 more complicated (don't think so ) or are the contractors here more cautious
Part of the problem with Dunkeld is the narrow space in the valley between the railway line and rivers. There are quite a few bridges that'll need to be built to cross both the Braan and the railway line. You also have to factor in the B867/Birnam south junction, the railway station access, A923/A822 junction, Hermitage access and designing a B898 junction that'll fit into the landscape with the River Tay. All in all, I believe the Dunkeld section is one of the most complicated to dual.

Going back to the other points made about roundabouts. No. Just no. Inveralmond will be a really easy fix once the A85 and associated roads are done. All you need to do is have a fork junction there with A912N to A9N and A9S to A912S and close off access to the industrial estate on the west side, which will link nicely with the new A85 junction as there's a designated road being built from the new A85 to the estate. Broxden is a little trickier due to conflicting flows but even a few left hand filter lanes in the interim will help.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I take part of your point re the Birnam to Tay Crossing but not for the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam section which starts in Feb/March - it partial on line and partial off line - not hard to build
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Burns

Post by Burns »

B9127 wrote:I take part of your point re the Birnam to Tay Crossing but not for the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam section which starts in Feb/March - it partial on line and partial off line - not hard to build
Sorry, I misread your post. Accept my apologies. Minimal housing, favourable topography. Only one major junction which has already seen improvements in recent times... hmm... I can't work out why Luncarty to Pass of Birnam is so expensive and lengthy. I dread to think how long Dunkeld will take to build now.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Drove along Kincraig to Dalraddy today... still a lot happening on the verges and at the structures.

De stoning the verges seems to be a major task, topsoil looks as stony as.
Obviously never had the foresight to run it through a power screen first :roll:

I don't think the footway / cycleway is fully complete.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/gro ... -dualling/ Slochd ground investigation contract let today
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Something I noticed the few times I've been on the newly opened dual carriageway at Kincraig is the advance end of dual carriageway signs are to the actual end, not the start of the hatching - so people maybe getting the impression there is 450 yards left for an overtake when there is only 200 odd. I did think end of dual carriageway 240 yards when there was 40 at most to the start of hatching was potentially a bit misleading and today had a bit of a near miss when a car pulled out to overtake at the 240yard marker, then swung in sharp in front seeing the hatching and It was a bit close across the bow for comfort!
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

The Luncary to Pass of Birnam section is badly named as there is already a DC ending at the Pass of Birnam as marked on the map, "Gelly" or "Muir of Thorn" would be more accurate for the first section, and PAss of Birnam to Birnam for the second section. (How many other sections are being done either side of an existing D2?)

One problem here may be the fact that the Bankfoot section needs rebuilt again.

The nightmare section is Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing
Tunnelling under Birnam hill and Craigvinnean with underground slip roads would be cool though.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Nwallace wrote: The nightmare section is Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing
Tunnelling under Birnam hill and Craigvinnean with underground slip roads would be cool though.
That would be great, although UK engineers have a heart attack if an overbridge is going to be a metre wider than normal so, y'know...
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Nwallace wrote:The Luncary to Pass of Birnam section is badly named as there is already a DC ending at the Pass of Birnam as marked on the map, "Gelly" or "Muir of Thorn" would be more accurate for the first section, and Pass of Birnam to Birnam for the second section. (How many other sections are being done either side of an existing D2?)

Pass of Birnam D2 section is short enough that everyone knows what they mean. Same issue at Killiecrankie. Better to use place names that people have a chance of knowing where they are than picking a random farm.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Nwallace wrote:The Luncary to Pass of Birnam section is badly named as there is already a DC ending at the Pass of Birnam as marked on the map, "Gelly" or "Muir of Thorn" would be more accurate for the first section, and PAss of Birnam to Birnam for the second section. (How many other sections are being done either side of an existing D2?)

Bankfoot Junction is sufficiently wide enough for Southbound widening. On the northbound side there may need to be a rebuild of the northbound Lilo but, if I remember rightly, it will be southbound widening though this section anyway. If not they’re just making life difficult.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Bankfoot South is a LILO on the Northbound side, there's properties backing onto the Northbound lane as well.

There's plenty of farmland and clear space to the east of he existing carriageway to add the extra carriageway, fair bit of earthworks involved.

At the middle junction Google have had the streetview car out during construction
https://goo.gl/maps/5oNCSgmCuZw

Another LILO could be fine there, maybe not as bad as I thought. Though could you get another bridge in alongside the existing? and without realigning the road below?
Burns

Post by Burns »

There were talks of the A9 being dualled when the Bankfoot junction was being built so they should have future proofed it at the time. Everyone loves hindsight.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

I remember seeing an early flythrough and plans for bankfoot north /middle and theyre definitely re-aligning to the east - which doss mean a readjustment of the LILO there on the s/b - judging by the CPOs as well there’s enough space to do so
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Burns wrote:There were talks of the A9 being dualled when the Bankfoot junction was being built so they should have future proofed it at the time. Everyone loves hindsight.
That was the last LibDem/Labour "executive" prior to the first SNP minority "Government"; there was no way the A9 was getting dualled or east coast tolls abolished without that change.
The SNP positioning themselves in favour of the A9 Dualling and against Tolls was one of the moves that boosted their electoral chances.
paully

Post by paully »

The Bankfoot junction upgrade a couple of years ago was supposed to be "compatible with the A9 dualling". There is enough space for the Southbound carriageway to be built adjacent to the existing road, it would only require a new bridge for the new carriageway at the Southbound on/off junction.
Burns wrote:Inveralmond will be a really easy fix once the A85 and associated roads are done. All you need to do is have a fork junction there with A912N to A9N and A9S to A912S and close off access to the industrial estate on the west side, which will link nicely with the new A85 junction as there's a designated road being built from the new A85 to the estate.
Your logic around the junction layout makes sense, however the land adjacent to the roundabout on the North-East side has just been developed, leaving absolutely no room for sliproads anywhere in the vicinity. I really can't see it happening in the short term, but with several thousand houses going in at Bertha Park (a mile to the North-West of Inveralmond) it's only going to get busier in this area.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... t-awarded/ Another ground investigation contract awarded for Glengarry to Crubenmore
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Was at bankfoot on Sunday, there is no way the road out of the village heading for perth can remain as is for a conversion to D2; there's plenty of room for it, but there's only a couple of meters after the curve before you're on the LILO T-junction.

Add to that the fact that to turn that into a slip road pointing the opposite direction from the curve; it needs a fair bit of rework, but the main line is pretty easy.
paully

Post by paully »

Nwallace wrote:Was at bankfoot on Sunday, there is no way the road out of the village heading for perth can remain as is for a conversion to D2; there's plenty of room for it, but there's only a couple of meters after the curve before you're on the LILO T-junction.

Add to that the fact that to turn that into a slip road pointing the opposite direction from the curve; it needs a fair bit of rework, but the main line is pretty easy.
If the existing road becomes the Northbound carriageway, and a new Southbound carriageway is built to the East then there should be plenty of room. The curve onto the A9 Southbound at present has a short straight in it (the bit with a bus on it on Google Maps aerial coverage) - if this straight was removed and the curve continued at a constant radius then there is plenty of room, assuming the gradients were ok. The existing A9 is D1 through this junction, so removing the central reservation would also give an extra metre or 2.