A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9Dan

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9Dan »

lotrjw wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 20:20 So whats the current status of all the schemes?
how far along are they from being constructed?
Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Inquiry sessions cancelled, report will now be prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019, the scheme now awaits Made Orders.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (November 2019).

Crubenmore to Kincraig: With DPEA, awaiting allocation to reporter.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: First inquiry sessions scheduled to begin on 9 March 2020 cancelled due to withdrawal of objections. Pre-inquiry meeting for second inquiry sessions (required due to a very late request from two statutory objectors to participate in an inquiry session) scheduled for 9 March.

Tomatin to Moy: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

So there are three schemes which are ready for Made Orders. Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie reached this stage at the end of May last year but I expect is being held back so that it can be procured jointly with Dalwhinne to Crubenmore. Once Made Orders are published, I expect it to be at least a year before construction starts.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

A9Dan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 20:38
lotrjw wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 20:20 So whats the current status of all the schemes?
how far along are they from being constructed?
Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Inquiry sessions cancelled, report will now be prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019, the scheme now awaits Made Orders.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (November 2019).

Crubenmore to Kincraig: With DPEA, awaiting allocation to reporter.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: First inquiry sessions scheduled to begin on 9 March 2020 cancelled due to withdrawal of objections. Pre-inquiry meeting for second inquiry sessions (required due to a very late request from two statutory objectors to participate in an inquiry session) scheduled for 9 March.

Tomatin to Moy: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

So there are three schemes which are ready for Made Orders. Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie reached this stage at the end of May last year but I expect is being held back so that it can be procured jointly with Dalwhinne to Crubenmore. Once Made Orders are published, I expect it to be at least a year before construction starts.
So the ones with reports to ministers are likely to pass to awaiting orders very shortly I imagine? If so then we could soon have 6 schemes on made orders I suppose?
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Berk

Post by Berk »

Don’t knock it, it’s a big step forwards to getting the whole project underway.

I’m sure a 2030 deadline will still be feasible. Assuming there are no budget cuts.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Berk wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 23:47 Don’t knock it, it’s a big step forwards to getting the whole project underway.

I’m sure a 2030 deadline will still be feasible. Assuming there are no budget cuts.
Lets hope the 6 projects that past enquiry stage are soon under construction. That will mean the last 2-3 will likely get built too.
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

Given the current administrations track record of “ seeing to be doing” but not a lot else . Their continuing obsession on constitutional matters and the Scottish elections next year will take precedence. Any money going will be used in target regions to buy votes. So I will not be holding up my breath. We might get another section started in a year or so if we are lucky.
Last edited by Mikehannah on Sat Mar 07, 2020 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

Berk wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 23:47 Don’t knock it, it’s a big step forwards to getting the whole project underway.

I thought the deadline was 2025 for the A9 and 2030 was for the A96. Both are achievable if there is the political will however both are firmly in the “ Not a felines chance in Hell” category, despite the current muttering of the Scottish administration .
Dunragit

Post by Dunragit »

Mikehannah wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 21:59 Given the current administrations track record of “ seeing to be doing” but not a lot else . Their continuing obsession on constitutional matters and the Scottish elections next year will take precedence. Any money going will be used in target regions to buy votes. So I will not be holding up my breath. We might get another section started in a year or so if we are lucky.
The Additional Member System used to elect members of the Scottish Parliament means there is much less incentive to spend money in specific areas for electoral gain.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Mikehannah wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 21:59 Given the current administrations track record of “ seeing to be doing” but not a lot else . Their continuing obsession on constitutional matters and the Scottish elections next year will take precedence. Any money going will be used in target regions to buy votes. So I will not be holding up my breath. We might get another section started in a year or so if we are lucky.
If they got off their asses they could get 6 projects up to made orders with contracts let before the election started, then have them start work after the election. Once elected they arent going to worry for 5 years about 2-3 years of 6 A9 construction schemes between Perth and Inverness. Then there will be 2-3 years of time after the 6 projects finish before the next election, by which time the other 2 could have started and be finished before the election too. Thats if the last 2 schemes havent faced too many issues at their enquiries, in which case they could be delayed a little longer. Either way finishing them all in the next 5 years is feasible if they get going, or at the least just the 2 trouble ones could be left.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I will pop off an email to an appropriate person and see how long they take to reply
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Berk

Post by Berk »

Do you think if folks had to pay a £500 deposit in order to lodge an objection, they might think again??

At least spurious objections (i.e. made, but withdrawn before the inquiry is held) would be far less common.

Not saying no-one has no right to make an objection, but it is costly for everyone if they are made, but then withdrawn, as the process will have been altered to accommodate hearings, more reporter’s time booked etc.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Berk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 16:23 Do you think if folks had to pay a £500 deposit in order to lodge an objection, they might think again??

At least spurious objections (i.e. made, but withdrawn before the inquiry is held) would be far less common.

Not saying no-one has no right to make an objection, but it is costly for everyone if they are made, but then withdrawn, as the process will have been altered to accommodate hearings, more reporter’s time booked etc.
No, that's a ridiculous suggestion intended only to shut people up.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Sorry, there was a bit I left out. If they attend the inquiry, they get the money back.

Sounds fair to me.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

An objection being withdrawn usually means that an agreement has been reached prior to the inquiry, rather than it being for spurious reasons.
clc

Post by clc »

So with the Green Party backing down and supporting the Scottish Budget and Barnet consequentials from today’s announcement pretty much guaranteeing that funding will be available in the coming years, how many schemes are likely to be in procurement by the end of the year?
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

clc wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 19:46 So with the Green Party backing down and supporting the Scottish Budget and Barnet consequentials from today’s announcement pretty much guaranteeing that funding will be available in the coming years, how many schemes are likely to be in procurement by the end of the year?
Hopefully all 6 that are near enough ready!
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Email sent to the Scottish Ministers by me asking when they intend to invite interest or tenders for various sections of the A9 - no doubt they get 28 days to reply so don't hold your breath guys
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

If they reply!!!
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Mikehannah wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:15 If they reply!!!
An FOI inquiry must be answered within the time limit.
The reply hover can be reasons for not answering.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

B9127 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 20:15 Email sent to the Scottish Ministers by me asking when they intend to invite interest or tenders for various sections of the A9 - no doubt they get 28 days to reply so don't hold your breath guys
Got a rely acknowledging my email - they note it has been passed to the relevant department for a reply within 20 days - so if they are working days that means a rely at latest by week commencing 13 April - keep you all updated