A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9NWIL

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9NWIL »

B9127 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 17:14 RE ''And a paired up Tay Crossing to Ballinluig - Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing'' I would prefer Tay Crossing to Ballinluig to be a contract on its own and leave Tay Crossing to Pass of Birnam let later as it would appear to be a difficult one to satisfy the Dunkeld objectors
That sounds like a good idea, it wont hold the rest of the project up and its more likely the town would crumble and fall in line if the rest of the road is done or at least started,
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Re forward works could some bridges not be let as separate contracts in advance of the main contracts to save time e.g. Tay Crossing at Dunkeld and the Tay Crossing at the south end of Pitlochry - they used do that down south on the M62 etc
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
C83

Post by C83 »

lotrjw wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 21:49
B9127 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 17:14 RE ''And a paired up Tay Crossing to Ballinluig - Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing'' I would prefer Tay Crossing to Ballinluig to be a contract on its own and leave Tay Crossing to Pass of Birnam let later as it would appear to be a difficult one to satisfy the Dunkeld objectors
That sounds like a good idea, it wont hold the rest of the project up and its more likely the town would crumble and fall in line if the rest of the road is done or at least started,
Would seem sensible to get as much as possible, i.e. excluding Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing, south of Pitlochry done asap as that is the busiest section of the road.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

I see there is a note on the DPEA webpage saying the write up of the A9 Killiecrankie - Glen Garry section has been delayed as the Reporter has been appointed Interim Chief Reporter.

Report expected to be delayed until Feb/March 2021.
gonth

Post by gonth »

Hello, new here.
What does the below really mean?
“Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020”
I’m trying to figure out the length of time it would take to build the Tummel bridge extension and update the exits in the junction South of Pitlochry.
I have read every document on transport Scotland, but I can’t find timetables, starting times or predicted length of works.
Only an estimation of 3 years plus for the whole Pitlochry to Killiecrankie section by a poster in this forum. But would the new bridge and junction update take 3 years as well?
Thank you
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

gonth wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 Hello, new here.
“Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020”
I’m trying to figure out the length of time it would take to build the Tummel bridge extension and update the exits in the junction South of Pitlochry.
I have read every document on transport Scotland, but I can’t find timetables, starting times or predicted length of works.
Only an estimation of 3 years plus for the whole Pitlochry to Killiecrankie section by a poster in this forum. But would the new bridge and junction update take 3 years as well?
Thank you
The Made Orders being approved means that Transport Scotland have legal approval to build the scheme (and compulsory purchase the land required) at any point going forwards.

They are most likely confirming the design and readying the procurement process going forward. Past evidence is that this usually takes 12-24 months post Made Orders but could probably be done quicker if necessary.

I’d guess Autumn 2021 would be the earliest construction might start with Spring 2022 perhaps more likely.

The construction time estimate of 3 - 3.5 years can be found on Page 3, Paragraph 4 of the Environmental Statement Non Technical Summary.

Based on previous schemes some elements may open in advance of full construction but I wouldn’t rely on it.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

A9Dan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 17:04 Decision issued today confirming that the orders for Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore should be made.

Current status of all schemes:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019, temporarily suspended in 2020 due to coronavirus).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (July 2020).

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Decision issued confirming orders on 3 December 2020.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Inquiry session scheduled to begin on 1 March 2021, to be held virtually.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Inquiry sessions cancelled, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministeres. Modified draft CPO submitted on 9 October 2020.

Tomatin to Moy: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.
Big news regarding Crubenmore to Kincraig. RSPB withdrew their objection on 31/12 following on from Balavil withdrawing theirs on 17/12.

No response from the reporter yet but will inevitably lead to the PLI being cancelled as Balavil and RSPB were the only objectors seeking to make representations at the PLI.

Will leave the Reporter with 6 statutory and 3 non statutory objections to resolve based on the written submissions.

There are an additional 38 non-statutory objections in support of the RSPB submission but presumably they are moot given the resolution of the issue between RSPB and Transport Scotland. Not sure whether RSPB will encourage people to withdraw these objections or they'll just be resolved by the reporter.

There is now a plausible route for Made Orders to be issued on all schemes except Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing before the end of the year.
gonth

Post by gonth »

Altnabreac wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:33
gonth wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 Hello, new here.
Thank you
The Made Orders being approved means that Transport Scotland have legal approval to build the scheme (and compulsory purchase the land required) at any point going forwards.

They are most likely confirming the design and readying the procurement process going forward. Past evidence is that this usually takes 12-24 months post Made Orders but could probably be done quicker if necessary.

I’d guess Autumn 2021 would be the earliest construction might start with Spring 2022 perhaps more likely.

The construction time estimate of 3 - 3.5 years can be found on Page 3, Paragraph 4 of the Environmental Statement Non Technical Summary.

Based on previous schemes some elements may open in advance of full construction but I wouldn’t rely on it.
Thank you Altnabreac! I found the estimate. It seems to be the only place where it is mentioned...
Apologies for my ignorance, I really know nothing about civil engineering. Do you mean that the roadworks and disruptions would last 3-3.5 years along the whole of the section? So I can expect the Tummel bridge and exits work to last that entire timeframe? with its consequent inconveniences, detours etc.
Thanks again
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

Hi
Does anyone know what compulsory purchase regarding the A9 Dualling are either on going or complete .?

Mike
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Mikehannah wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 15:06 Hi
Does anyone know what compulsory purchase regarding the A9 Dualling are either on going or complete .?

Mike
Only those which were completed some time ago for the under construction scheme from Luncarty to Pass of Birnam and for the previous Kincraig to Dalraddy sceme. No other Made Orders have been published yet although there are four schemes which have completed the statutory process and so could have their Orders made at any time.
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

I would not hold your breath for any New section to go to made order stage.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Altnabreac wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:49
A9Dan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 17:04 Decision issued today confirming that the orders for Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore should be made.

Current status of all schemes:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019, temporarily suspended in 2020 due to coronavirus).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (July 2020).

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Decision issued confirming orders on 3 December 2020.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Inquiry session scheduled to begin on 1 March 2021, to be held virtually.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Inquiry sessions cancelled, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministeres. Modified draft CPO submitted on 9 October 2020.

Tomatin to Moy: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.
Big news regarding Crubenmore to Kincraig. RSPB withdrew their objection on 31/12 following on from Balavil withdrawing theirs on 17/12.

No response from the reporter yet but will inevitably lead to the PLI being cancelled as Balavil and RSPB were the only objectors seeking to make representations at the PLI.

Will leave the Reporter with 6 statutory and 3 non statutory objections to resolve based on the written submissions.

There are an additional 38 non-statutory objections in support of the RSPB submission but presumably they are moot given the resolution of the issue between RSPB and Transport Scotland. Not sure whether RSPB will encourage people to withdraw these objections or they'll just be resolved by the reporter.

There is now a plausible route for Made Orders to be issued on all schemes except Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing before the end of the year.
As expected the PLI has been cancelled.

Transport Scotland will respond to the remaining statutory objectors by 18 January.

The RSPB supporters objections will be responded to by Transport Scotland in writing by 15 February.

At some point after that Transport Scotland will submit a revised CPO schedule and Final closing submission. Based on previous projects I’d guess March / April time.

Speculative but after that you’d expect the report to be complete late summer / early autumn with Ministers signing it off at the end of the year or early 2022.

Should be the final section to be approved excluding the ill fated Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing.
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

So we will shortly have almost the entire length of the A9 in effect shovel ready but nothing going any further, no purchase of land, no tendering process etc?
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Mikehannah wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 00:21 So we will shortly have almost the entire length of the A9 in effect shovel ready but nothing going any further, no purchase of land, no tendering process etc?
Time they started getting on with some of it.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
IAN

Post by IAN »

Mikehannah wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 00:21 no purchase of land, no tendering process etc?

These processes in themselves will be likely to take at least 18 months so no new construction before late 2022. They will have to admit soon that the 2025 completion date for dualling the whole route will not happen, it'll not be finished by 2030 at this rate!
AKA M5 Driver
clc

Post by clc »

Has a decision been made on the procurement strategy? Is it to be design and build or PPP or a combination of both?
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

Call me a synic but as they have dragged their feet at every opportunity. I doubt we will see much happening. 2030 is optimistic to me . It took them how long between the first section being completed and them breaking ground on the Luncarty section. They could be moving ahead with the next stage of the process even with Covid restrictions but we have the sum total of ZiP
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

It's election year, I'd expect some movement before may.
DaStreetsweep

Post by DaStreetsweep »

Has construction work continued this past week or so?
Dual the A9, dual and bypass the A77, and bypass Crocketford and Springholm on the A75.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

25 March 2021 is the 'dissolution' date for the parliament and start of the purdah period, so any annoucement woiuld have to be before that date.

Due to COVID etc, the Scottish General Election (Coronavirus) Bill means that parliament goes into recess on that date until the day before the election, since once dissolution has taken place, MSP's become prospective candidates etc and parliament could not debate any emergency legislation. If the election is delayed, the parliament can be recalled from recess. https://sp-bpr-en-prod-cdnep.azureedge. ... 020-74.pdf