A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A9Dan

Re: A9 dualling

Post by A9Dan »

I think the concern is that it wouldn't go to a vote, with the Greens insisting that the A9 and A96 schemes are scrapped in exchange for a guarantee of a clear pro-independence majority which would last the full parliamentary term. Only time will tell, it is also possible that there are areas which the two parties will agree to disagree on.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/nex ... -underway/

Procurement for Tomatin to Moy is now underway with the publication of the Contract Notice today. The contract is expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A9Dan wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:29 I think the concern is that it wouldn't go to a vote, with the Greens insisting that the A9 and A96 schemes are scrapped in exchange for a guarantee of a clear pro-independence majority which would last the full parliamentary term. Only time will tell, it is also possible that there are areas which the two parties will agree to disagree on.
If A9 dualling/improvement is cancelled due to the two parties signing a deal, they'll both be blamed, and the Tories, Lib Dems and Labour (the last probably least of these) will be writing their leaflets the day after the deal is done.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
B9127

Post by B9127 »

The Greens are Urban friendly and look to the rural areas as as if they are a national park - anything outside the Glasgow/Edinburgh corridor is of no interest to them - they were/are trying to push for non fossil fuel heating by 2028 - I use oil in a rural area so where do I get heating from after that - I digress sorry
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scott ... programme/

The draft agreement has now been published but it is completely silent on the future of the A9 schemes whereas the A96 dualling is to be subject to a review including a climate compatibility assessment. The dualling between Inverness and Nairn though will be taken forward as will bypasses for Nairn, Keith, Elgin and Inverurie although except for Nairn, it is not clear if these would be dualled.
green light

Post by green light »

A9Dan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 15:17 https://www.gov.scot/publications/scott ... programme/

The draft agreement has now been published but it is completely silent on the future of the A9 schemes whereas the A96 dualling is to be subject to a review including a climate compatibility assessment. The dualling between Inverness and Nairn though will be taken forward as will bypasses for Nairn, Keith, Elgin and Inverurie although except for Nairn, it is not clear if these would be dualled.
The "silence" might be a concession from the Greens to allow the A9 be fully dualled and as a compromise the SNP will have this review for the A96. Cynically, it might be an easy way for the SNP to squirm out of dualling the A96 in it's entirety, but still get kudos for dualling the A9? I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens if the SNP/SGP "cooperation" is approved by the relevant party executives/members what will happen.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

I'm not quire sure where the £5 billion investment agreed for the rail network is going to come from though.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

green light wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 16:15 The "silence" might be a concession from the Greens to allow the A9 be fully dualled and as a compromise the SNP will have this review for the A96. Cynically, it might be an easy way for the SNP to squirm out of dualling the A96 in it's entirety, but still get kudos for dualling the A9? I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens if the SNP/SGP "cooperation" is approved by the relevant party executives/members what will happen.
That is quite possible but I am thinking about where the £5 billion investment for the rail network agreed in this deal is going to come from.
clc

Post by clc »

A9Dan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 15:17 https://www.gov.scot/publications/scott ... programme/

I noted this in the agreement:
work on other trunk roads projects and programmes under construction, design, development or procurement will continue and be subject to the normal statutory assessment and business case processes.
So A9 dualling is definitely continuing.
clc

Post by clc »

A9Dan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 18:34
green light wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 16:15 The "silence" might be a concession from the Greens to allow the A9 be fully dualled and as a compromise the SNP will have this review for the A96. Cynically, it might be an easy way for the SNP to squirm out of dualling the A96 in it's entirety, but still get kudos for dualling the A9? I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens if the SNP/SGP "cooperation" is approved by the relevant party executives/members what will happen.
That is quite possible but I am thinking about where the £5 billion investment for the rail network agreed in this deal is going to come from.
That’s not actually a new announcement. Network Rail already planned to spend £4 billion on ‘renewals’ ie, replacing life expired track, signalling, bridges etc with around £1 billion earmarked for ‘enhancements’ such as electrification, new stations and reopening the Levenmouth branch.
jackal

Post by jackal »

You could say the SNP have done a decent job of ringfencing the realistic A9/A96 schemes while throwing the Greens the bone of reviewing A96 schemes that weren't going to be built for the next decade or two anyway...
clc

Post by clc »

jackal wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 09:28 You could say the SNP have done a decent job of ringfencing the realistic A9/A96 schemes while throwing the Greens the bone of reviewing A96 schemes that weren't going to be built for the next decade or two anyway...
Yes I think that’s a fair assessment. Overall the Greens didn’t achieve much in terms of infrastructure investment as the extra funding for sustainable transport was happening anyway.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Saw a sign at the start of Luncarty to Birnam today saying restrictions in place until 30th August. Looks like road fully open on Monday. Certainly looks finished.
green light

Post by green light »

Article about the opening of the Luncarty to Birnam section.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... go-3359118
A new six-mile section of dual carriageway south of Dunkeld will open this weekend, transport minister Graeme Dey announced today.

The move comes as a review continues into the rest of the £3 billion project to complete some 70 remaining miles of dualling of the road between Inverness and Perth.

It is understood to have escaped the axe under last week’s SNP-Scottish Greens’ deal, but ministers have repeatedly failed to confirm the project is still on track to be finished on time by 2025, suggesting completion will be delayed.
IAN

Post by IAN »

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... go-3359118
but ministers have repeatedly failed to confirm the project is still on track to be finished on time by 2025, suggesting completion will be delayed.
As predicted many times on here, as soon as the Scottish Parliament election was over ministers finally admit what has been obvious for years. I wonder if they'll risk setting another firm date - 2030 perhaps?
AKA M5 Driver
FtoE

Post by FtoE »

I noticed before that the first couple of advance junction signs southbound have “Peairt” (the Gaelic for “Perth”) and Perth itself in white script rather than the usual mustard/yellow that is used usually for the Gaelic. The further south signs have the Gaelic in mustard.

I also noticed for the first time this evening distance markers to Stirling, Dundee and Edinburgh in Gaelic as well as English (Struighlea, Dùn Dè, Dùn Èideann ) I don’t think I’ve seen any of these cities in Gaelic road signs before.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

As said previously in this thread, 2025 as a target was always a theoretical best case if all projects could go through the design and legal process without delay, such as PLIs (and co-creatives).
It's impossible to give a completion date for all schemes, unless they are going to push through orders without due legal process.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

FtoE wrote:I noticed before that the first couple of advance junction signs southbound have “Peairt” (the Gaelic for “Perth”) and Perth itself in white script rather than the usual mustard/yellow that is used usually for the Gaelic. The further south signs have the Gaelic in mustard.

I also noticed for the first time this evening distance markers to Stirling, Dundee and Edinburgh in Gaelic as well as English (Struighlea, Dùn Dè, Dùn Èideann ) I don’t think I’ve seen any of these cities in Gaelic road signs before.
Stirling appears in Gaelic in a few places already.
Dundee and edinburgh don't.

Of course neither name that appears in white are in English either, but that's a future barney for the one nationist to moan about Image

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Euan

Post by Euan »

I’m not sure if it is still there following the opening of the Crianlarich bypass, but I have seen a sign for the A85 in Crianlarich referring to Perth and Stirling in Gaelic (not Dundee though). It seems to be where the sign is located that determines the use of Gaelic rather than where it is pointing towards. In the opposite case the A9 corridor doesn’t have much if any Gaelic signage but no doubt there will be some places signposted in English only which are firmly within the bilingual areas out to the west.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Euan wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 09:54 I’m not sure if it is still there following the opening of the Crianlarich bypass
Yes, the new signs are all bilingual, including references to Stirling and Perth.