A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

haggishunter

Re: A9 dualling

Post by haggishunter »

There are a couple of signs Northbound and Southbound on the A9 by the Inshes Junction in Inverness saying:

TRANSPORT SCOTLAND

A9 DUALLING

and some much smaller text below... not sure what that says as was in the outside lane each time and vehicles on my left blocked the sign from view when closer. Does that mean a start at Alvie is imminent?
m80

Post by m80 »

haggishunter wrote:There are a couple of signs Northbound and Southbound on the A9 by the Inshes Junction in Inverness saying:

TRANSPORT SCOTLAND

A9 DUALLING

and some much smaller text below... not sure what that says as was in the outside lane each time and vehicles on my left blocked the sign from view when closer. Does that mean a start at Alvie is imminent?
Kincraig-Dalraddy is starting soon, that's all as far as I'm aware.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The contractor is now on site putting in a site compound at Kincraig.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Is only me then that thinks this would be a great solution for parts of the A9, the A96, A75. It would transform east-west links in the north, A66 W Cumbria- Penrith, A66 gaps Pen- SC, A64 Malton -Scarboro, Colne - A629 (Keighley) etc? It's all GSJ, alternating overtaking lanes every 2km so at worse you've 2km to wait to pass someone + Emergency Refuge Areas. It would be interesting to know the accident stats for this road. (& yes I realise the DMRB wouldn't allow this design). www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIGHBV-CpI

The newest design section with a 1metre centre divide starts at 2.33 mins.
This particular German design is 'continuously alternating. it goes from 2+1,to 1+2 & straight back to 2+1 etc etc there are no S2 sections (other than the small transitions).
Last edited by 85CF380 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

The Clackmannanshire bridge is like that 2+1 each way, with overtalking on the second 'half' of the bridge each way
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

85CF380 wrote:Is only me then that thinks this would be a great solution for parts of the A9, the A96, A75. It would transform east-west links in the north, A66 W Cumbria- Penrith, A66 gaps Pen- SC, A64 Malton -Scarboro, Colne - A629 (Keighley) etc? It's all GSJ, alternating overtaking lanes every 2km so at worse you've 2km to wait to pass someone + Emergency Refuge Areas. It would be interesting to know the accident stats for this road. (& yes I realise the DMRB wouldn't allow this design). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIGHBV-CpI
Since the main case for the first 2 dualinging mentioned is political; no.

The new Kincardine bridge is an alternating 2+1, only driven it when it's quiet; but then I get the idea it's mostly quiet since it's sharing the load with the Old S2 bridge taking traffic on the Dunfermline route.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Is only me then that thinks this would be a great solution for parts of the A9, the A96, A75. It would transform east-west links in the north, A66 W Cumbria- Penrith, A66 gaps Pen- SC, A64 Malton -Scarboro, Colne - A629 (Keighley) etc? It's all GSJ, alternating overtaking lanes every 2km so at worse you've 2km to wait to pass someone + Emergency Refuge Areas. It would be interesting to know the accident stats for this road. (& yes I realise the DMRB wouldn't allow this design). www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIGHBV-CpI
Yes I would agree ideal for the A64 Malton to Scarborough section where overtaking is an issue and accidents caused by driver frustration!

I notice you wisely didn't include the A64 York to Malton due to the much higher traffic volumes and daily congestion dualling that section is the only answer, which I believe is going to be included in the hopgrove roundabout GSJ
ninja-lewis

Post by ninja-lewis »

85CF380 wrote:Is only me then that thinks this would be a great solution for parts of the A9, the A96, A75. It would transform east-west links in the north, A66 W Cumbria- Penrith, A66 gaps Pen- SC, A64 Malton -Scarboro, Colne - A629 (Keighley) etc? It's all GSJ, alternating overtaking lanes every 2km so at worse you've 2km to wait to pass someone + Emergency Refuge Areas. It would be interesting to know the accident stats for this road. (& yes I realise the DMRB wouldn't allow this design). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIGHBV-CpI
There's a couple of shortish sections of 2+1 near Aviemore. As cars are still limited to 60mph, there generally isn't much time/space for more than 2-3 cars to get past a lorry doing 50mph. The dualled sections are much more effective in clearing a queue of 10-20 cars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the German speed limit for lorries on that sort of road would be 50kmh so there is a larger speed differential when overtaking lorries in particular.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

85CF380 wrote:Is only me then that thinks this would be a great solution for parts of the A9, the A96, A75.
WS2+1 is already used on the A9, A96, A75 and some other trunk roads in Scotland.
It specifically used to provide regular overtaking opportunities in each direction, as opposed to the use of traditional "climbing lanes" on inclines.

And yes, there is a design standard for it.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... le=WS2%2B1
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Glen wrote:WS2+1 is already used on the A9, A96, A75 and some other trunk roads in Scotland.
It specifically used to provide regular overtaking opportunities in each direction, as opposed to the use of traditional "climbing lanes" on inclines.

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... le=WS2%2B1
Why do you refer to this as 'WS2+1'? I call that simply S2+1. Is it because the Scottish implementations use it mainly with alternating direction priorities AND usually intersperse it with WS2? Or perhaps it's because of the 1m hard strips on each side?

Alternating direction priority S2+1 is quite common in Victoria (Australia) too. We don't have WS2's (for rural roads) - instead our major rural roads tend to be S2, but with a full hard shoulder on each side.

I must say that I don't like the UK's WS2 standard - it reminds me far too much of the old S3 suicide lanes.

From the SABRE Wiki: WS2%2B1 :

Wide Single 2+1 or WS2+1 is a modern standard of single carriageway road which consists of three traffic lanes, two in one direction and one in the other direction.

The design is similar to the older S2+1 standard but differs in several ways. Most notably the double white line separating the opposing flows is 1 metre wide, solid on both sides with hatching and red infill,

... Read More