A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B9099

Re: A9 dualling

Post by B9099 »

owen b wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 20:25
B9099 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 19:47
owen b wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:23
I got caught in lane three once exactly as you say :( . That makes lane three pretty much useless when it's busy, as it only starts a few car lengths before the roundabout and then it gets blocked on the roundabout as you say. In effect there's only one lane's worth of capacity for the A9 south movement which is fairly rubbish. I'm not sure what the solution is, but maybe it would be possible to change the signal timings or sequencing somehow so that A9 south traffic on the roundabout (from lane three) doesn't get blocked. Extending the third lane back from the roundabout by say 200 metres on the A9 southbound might also help, and marking lane one for Perth, lane two for A9 south, lane three for A9 south and the industrial estate. Another much cheaper bodge might be to paint a yellow box on the roundabout at the conflict point.
There already is a yellow box, however if you didn't know it was there you would miss it. Being on a roundabout and with the slight slope on the road it's not really visible until you are in it.
I don't remember it being there but my maybe my memory's bad. It doesn't seem to be on the Google Earth imagery either, but that dates back to 2018. Or maybe the yellow box is a fairly new addition, since I got caught there. https://earth.google.com/web/@56.418632 ... ,-0h,0t,0r
owen b wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 20:25
owen b wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:23
I got caught in lane three once exactly as you say :( . That makes lane three pretty much useless when it's busy, as it only starts a few car lengths before the roundabout and then it gets blocked on the roundabout as you say. In effect there's only one lane's worth of capacity for the A9 south movement which is fairly rubbish. I'm not sure what the solution is, but maybe it would be possible to change the signal timings or sequencing somehow so that A9 south traffic on the roundabout (from lane three) doesn't get blocked. Extending the third lane back from the roundabout by say 200 metres on the A9 southbound might also help, and marking lane one for Perth, lane two for A9 south, lane three for A9 south and the industrial estate. Another much cheaper bodge might be to paint a yellow box on the roundabout at the conflict point.
There already is a yellow box, however if you didn't know it was there you would miss it. Being on a roundabout and with the slight slope on the road it's not really visible until you are in it.
I don't remember it being there but my maybe my memory's bad. It doesn't seem to be on the Google Earth imagery either, but that dates back to 2018. Or maybe the yellow box is a fairly new addition, since I got caught there. https://earth.google.com/web/@56.418632 ... ,-0h,0t,0r
It's been there a while. Visible on street view but a bit worn out.
Inveralmond Roundabout
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5BbMP2MHKbZkSxfM8
owen b

Post by owen b »

Inveralmond Roundabout
Fair enough. I definitely got caught there more recently than April, so either my eyesight or my memory is bad :oops: . But in any case, for me to have got caught there, some other traffic must have blocked the yellow box.
Owen
B9099

Post by B9099 »

owen b wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 20:46
Inveralmond Roundabout
Fair enough. I definitely got caught there more recently than April, so either my eyesight or my memory is bad :oops: . But in any case, for me to have got caught there, some other traffic must have blocked the yellow box.
That's the problem. Unless everyone stops to wait to see if the car in front will clear the box then it gets blocked. Plus you cant even see the end of the box as its so long. It only takes about 4 cars to stop at the next lights and that's the lane blocked. I imagine if yellow box rules were followed the queues would be massive!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Network Rail press release

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... -inverness

The railway doesn't seem to be visible in the aerial views of the current location of the bridge!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 18:06 Network Rail press release

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... -inverness

The railway doesn't seem to be visible in the aerial views of the current location of the bridge!
Looking at Google maps and the press release thats because it was prefabricated and will be moved into position along the B9154 when the old bridge has been removed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.38087 ... 384!8i8192
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Decision notice published today confirming that the Orders for Dalraddy to Slochd should be made.

Status of all schemes as of November 2021:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Completed (August 2021).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Made Orders due to be published on 26 November 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Made Orders due to be published on 26 November 2021.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Made Orders published on 30 July 2021.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (April 2021).

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Decision issued confirming Orders on 15 November 2021, published on 22 November 2021.

Tomatin to Moy: Procurement underway, contract notice published on 19 August 2021. Contract expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

With Made Orders now for the majority of sections are there any other places where advance bridge works would make future construction easier like the bridge at Moy being placed this weekend
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Made Orders were indeed published for the two above schemes today.

I have however just seen an interview with Nicola Sturgeon on Reporting Scotland where she was asked directly about the A9 dualling and her reply was "we've committed to early parts of that, we will do climate assessments as we go further down that road, our committent hasn't changed on that."

Tomatin to Moy is clearly going ahead but no sign of any other sections going out to tender yet so I am not sure if the four schemes which have Made Orders published are considered to be committed or if they will be subject to these climate assessments.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Politicians answer isn't it.

There's been climate assessments in every publication I've seen for the A9 upgrade, it always ends up recognizing that the safety considerations, economic need for journeys via the A9 including final miles ones mean the upgrade can't be avoided despite the climate emergency.
jnty

Post by jnty »

Nwallace wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 16:59 Politicians answer isn't it.

There's been climate assessments in every publication I've seen for the A9 upgrade, it always ends up recognizing that the safety considerations, economic need for journeys via the A9 including final miles ones mean the upgrade can't be avoided despite the climate emergency.
Have they looked at the safety/journey times business case since the HGV speed limit increase/average speed cameras were introduced? I think they might struggle if there were a re-assessment. Wasn't there a bit of economic fiddling with the concept of "driver frustration" to get it through last time?

It's odd really that the more remote sections are being done first, probably on the safety rationale of avoiding dangerous overtakes (or maybe just because they're a bit simpler). These overtakes happen much less often now and the main danger is now probably the busiest junctions, yet the worst of these feature on the Dunkeld section - pretty much at the end of the queue at the moment, albeit not necessarily deliberately!

I wonder if a review might suggest a focus on specific junction improvements rather than long sections of dialling in future work programming.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... -complete/

Shortlist announced for Tomatin to Moy:
  • Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Ltd
  • John Graham Construction Ltd
  • Wills Bros Civil Engineering Ltd
Balfour Beatty previously constructed Luncarty to Pass of Birnam. The contract is still expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022.

Status of all schemes as of 1 December 2021:

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (April 2021).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Decision issued confirming Orders on 15 November 2021, published on 22 November 2021.

Tomatin to Moy: Shortlist announced on 1 December 2021. Contract expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/tra ... mlu2IW9qKM Advance work contracts for Tomatin to Moy section let today
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
jnty

Post by jnty »

Another mention in the press pointing out how unlikely the apparently 2025 target is to be met.

I can't help but feel the business and safety case for this project has surely completely collapsed now. This is not just owing to the safety and journey time improvements that have been delivered with average speed cameras/the 50mph HGV limit, although that is an important factor, but that the prioritisation of sections now seems totally at odds with impact. That's fine if you're dealing with a rolling project of constant work with a reasonably close completion date - of course, get the easy stuff done first and work out how to sort the hard stuff in the background while you're at it. But now we're looking at a 2030 completion date and potential curtailment at any point, it becomes much harder to justify.

The Tomatin to Moy section of dualling will of course be welcomed by motorists - like the section just opened, it's the 'missing piece' in a long and continuous section of D2 into and through Inverness. D2/S2 transitions create risk - this removes two - and at least prior to the cameras, long rural S2 sections were probably considered the biggest accident risk due to overtaking, so perhaps that's why this prioritised. There will be some journey time improvement, but traffic flows relatively smoothly through this section so you'd have to get very unlucky to lose more than a couple of minutes here against ideal D2 conditions (though you'll certainly lose that for the 2 years of construction!)

I can't help but feel that the 'do everything, eventually' approach means that these 'easy' sections where they 'just' need to double the amount of tarmac cutting through very rural areas are being prioritised - delivering fairly marginal speed and safety benefits - while the increasingly busy and dangerous junctions around eg. Dunkeld get less convenient and less safe as Transport Scotland entertains false hopes about a massive tunnel that's surely never going to happen.

I wonder if this project has actually been a bit of a curse for communities around the busiest sections of the route. If it hadn't come along, there would surely by now be demands from residents for targeted junction improvements which might have been deliverable relatively quickly (and would have surely been done as D2 or D2-ready projects.) Instead, these residents get to look at lots of pretty exhibition boards - depicting plans which won't come to fruition this side of the decade, if ever - with the sole consolation that when they need to go to Inverness they'll hit the back of the roundabout queues a minute earlier.

And of course, while quiet farm tracks are being grade separated further north, motorists and NMU alike have to take their lives in their hands with nonsense like this south of Perth on a section of road almost three times as busy!
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I agree re Findo Gask junction but I think it would need to be better integrated into a new GSJ at Auchterarder East - re the Inverness mainline there is an opportunity short term to redouble some track sout of the Culloden Viaduct but whether that would help capacity is doubtful
andypins

Post by andypins »

I'm newly registered here although I have looking at Sabre for a long time - particularly A9 and A1 . It may have been discussed /answered here previously but on the Tay Crossing to Ballinluig visualisation it shows an interim roundabout - this is not the one that may be planned at the Dunkeld junction - I can't work out the value of this - why have it? I can see LILO from Grandtully but how do vehicles turn right going south into Grandtully therefore?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The interim roundabout will be required if Tay Crossing to Ballinluig is constructed ahead of Pass of Birman to Tay Crossing to allow U-turns to access or exit from the left-in/left-out junctions.
The PoB to TC scheme will provide a GSJ at the B898 which will permit those movements in the long term.
andypins

Post by andypins »

Thanks for this - clearly Tay Crossing to Ballinluig will start before PoB to TC surely .
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Decision notice published today confirming that the Orders for Crubenmore to Kincraig should be made. Everything except the two controversial schemes has now cleared the DPEA process.

Satus of all schemes as of 27 January 2022:

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Made Orders published on 26 November 2021.

Crubenmore to Kincraig: Decision issued confirming Orders on 17 January 2022, published on 27 January 2022.

Tomatin to Moy: Shortlist announced on 1 December 2021. Contract expected to be awarded in the second half of 2022.
justanotheruser

Post by justanotheruser »

Thanks for the update A9Dan. I have used your information and tabulated the progression on this scheme - was starting to think everything was extremely quiet!

I do wonder when the other Made Orders will progress to tender stage, and whether there's any signs of those going through a climate assessment.
a9-jan2022.png
figure_11_a9_dualling_projects_nodates.png
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Reading STPR2 it would appear that the A9 AND A96 Dualling will still go ahead despite the Green party wanting everyone on a bike