A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Duncan macknight »

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam Dual carriageway fully open now. Balfour Beatty will be onsite til Winter 2021 to finish off bits and pieces
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Network Rail press release relating to A9 Tomatin to Moy:

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... -highlands
green light

Post by green light »

It would be interesting to know what difference the road is like now that this section has opened.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Duncan macknight wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:55 Luncarty to Pass of Birnam Dual carriageway fully open now. Balfour Beatty will be onsite til Winter 2021 to finish off bits and pieces
Yippee going up to Scotland and along the A9 on Sunday from Perth
The M25 - The road to nowhere
B9099

Post by B9099 »

I noticed a few weeks ago some ground investigation coring was taking place next to the A9 at Dunkeld. I saw more today nearer the station.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021 ... tents/made

Orders have been made for Tay Crossing to Ballinluig and Pitlochry to Killiecrankie, coming into force on 26 November 2021.
Burns

Post by Burns »

What do those orders actually translate to?
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

Burns wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 14:59 What do those orders actually translate to?
Means that Made Orders will be published for both schemes on 26th November.
justanotheruser

Post by justanotheruser »

Updated my table and map to reflect the above development. (With thanks to A9Craig for additional dates since the last table I posted).
a9_2021-10-30.png
figure_11_a9_dualling_projects_nodates.png
Leaferclove
SABRE Developer

Post by Leaferclove »

Drove down the A9 yesterday. Looked like there was a fair bit of work going on through the Tomatin to Moy section - not sure if it's unrelated to the road though - there were Bam units/signage in some places.

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam looks complete, no speed restrictions, cones or anything to suggest there's any work ongoing, unless it's away from the mainline. That final bit down to Perth is a joy now!
owen b

Post by owen b »

Leaferclove wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 23:09 Luncarty to Pass of Birnam looks complete, no speed restrictions, cones or anything to suggest there's any work ongoing, unless it's away from the mainline. That final bit down to Perth is a joy now!
An odd thing is that northbound approaching the Inveralmond roundabout A9 traffic is signed to use both lanes, but southbound only the right hand lane. Southbound this leads to long queues in the right hand lane at peak times. Presumably there is some reason for this, as on the face of it there would be shorter overall queues and less lane changing if A9 traffic was signed to use both lanes southbound.
Owen
Stravaiger

Post by Stravaiger »

Hi Leaferclove- the works you noticed at Moy were related to a rail bridge replacement as part of advance works on the Moy/ Tomatin dual carriageway section. The stone bridge will be demolished to be replaced by a precast structure over a weekend in November.
RickyB_uk

Post by RickyB_uk »

Leaferclove wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 23:09 Drove down the A9 yesterday. Looked like there was a fair bit of work going on through the Tomatin to Moy section - not sure if it's unrelated to the road though - there were Bam units/signage in some places.

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam looks complete, no speed restrictions, cones or anything to suggest there's any work ongoing, unless it's away from the mainline. That final bit down to Perth is a joy now!
Says it fully opened on 30th August
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

RickyB_uk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:06
Leaferclove wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 23:09 Drove down the A9 yesterday. Looked like there was a fair bit of work going on through the Tomatin to Moy section - not sure if it's unrelated to the road though - there were Bam units/signage in some places.

Says it fully opened on 30th August
Fully opened to traffic but there’s still finishing off works to do, tree planing and the like.
Burns

Post by Burns »

owen b wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 07:51
Leaferclove wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 23:09 Luncarty to Pass of Birnam looks complete, no speed restrictions, cones or anything to suggest there's any work ongoing, unless it's away from the mainline. That final bit down to Perth is a joy now!
An odd thing is that northbound approaching the Inveralmond roundabout A9 traffic is signed to use both lanes, but southbound only the right hand lane. Southbound this leads to long queues in the right hand lane at peak times. Presumably there is some reason for this, as on the face of it there would be shorter overall queues and less lane changing if A9 traffic was signed to use both lanes southbound.
I've always assumed it was to do with the roundabout not being quite wide enough to accommodate two lanes southbound as traffic that does use the right hand lane going south where it does eventually open up to three can often end up stuck in traffic that's still waiting for a green to access the industrial estate on the western side.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Burns wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 20:46
I've always assumed it was to do with the roundabout not being quite wide enough to accommodate two lanes southbound as traffic that does use the right hand lane going south where it does eventually open up to three can often end up stuck in traffic that's still waiting for a green to access the industrial estate on the western side.
I got caught in lane three once exactly as you say :( . That makes lane three pretty much useless when it's busy, as it only starts a few car lengths before the roundabout and then it gets blocked on the roundabout as you say. In effect there's only one lane's worth of capacity for the A9 south movement which is fairly rubbish. I'm not sure what the solution is, but maybe it would be possible to change the signal timings or sequencing somehow so that A9 south traffic on the roundabout (from lane three) doesn't get blocked. Extending the third lane back from the roundabout by say 200 metres on the A9 southbound might also help, and marking lane one for Perth, lane two for A9 south, lane three for A9 south and the industrial estate. Another much cheaper bodge might be to paint a yellow box on the roundabout at the conflict point.
Owen
Leaferclove
SABRE Developer

Post by Leaferclove »

Stravaiger wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:01 Hi Leaferclove- the works you noticed at Moy were related to a rail bridge replacement as part of advance works on the Moy/ Tomatin dual carriageway section. The stone bridge will be demolished to be replaced by a precast structure over a weekend in November.
Ah! Thanks for clarifying! :D
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I hope they can put another section out to tender in the early part of next year. Re the congestion at Almondbank this will get worse once to connection is made from the A9 to the A94
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
B9099

Post by B9099 »

owen b wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:23
I got caught in lane three once exactly as you say :( . That makes lane three pretty much useless when it's busy, as it only starts a few car lengths before the roundabout and then it gets blocked on the roundabout as you say. In effect there's only one lane's worth of capacity for the A9 south movement which is fairly rubbish. I'm not sure what the solution is, but maybe it would be possible to change the signal timings or sequencing somehow so that A9 south traffic on the roundabout (from lane three) doesn't get blocked. Extending the third lane back from the roundabout by say 200 metres on the A9 southbound might also help, and marking lane one for Perth, lane two for A9 south, lane three for A9 south and the industrial estate. Another much cheaper bodge might be to paint a yellow box on the roundabout at the conflict point.
There already is a yellow box, however if you didn't know it was there you would miss it. Being on a roundabout and with the slight slope on the road it's not really visible until you are in it.
owen b

Post by owen b »

B9099 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 19:47
owen b wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 22:23
There already is a yellow box, however if you didn't know it was there you would miss it. Being on a roundabout and with the slight slope on the road it's not really visible until you are in it.
I don't remember it being there but my maybe my memory's bad. It doesn't seem to be on the Google Earth imagery either, but that dates back to 2018. Or maybe the yellow box is a fairly new addition, since I got caught there. https://earth.google.com/web/@56.418632 ... ,-0h,0t,0r
Owen