A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Berk »

Given the balanced nature of the objection, it will be interesting to read the reporter’s findings. It’s not an unreasonable proposal, far from it.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Glen wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 17:50 It's a farm cottage which the owners of the farm let out.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WQzfUgi35gCrmXJd6

This is from the original objection :
We would suggest that the location of the "The Sheiling" farm cottage is entirely incompatible with the scheme proposals and that this cottage should be replaced at an alternative location with a property of a similar size.
Berk wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 18:42 Given the balanced nature of the objection, it will be interesting to read the reporter’s findings. It’s not an unreasonable proposal, far from it.
I suspect Transport Scotland would be happy enough to buy the cottage if that would resolve the objection. The replacement at an alternative location bit however is not in the power of the Promoter as it would need a separate planning application to Highland Council.

I think it is more likely the nub of the objection is around the stock movements etc. Reading between the lines there seems to have been an old stock culvert that was silted up and the farm dug it out in 2016 to claim it was in constant use and needed replicating in the scheme. A stock crossing of the new A9 is obviously proposed but a crossing of the local access road seems overkill.

Some interesting discussion in the objection back and forths about some of the old A9 hard standing area the farm is using and claiming is being CPOed from them which it appears they don't actually own.

There is also a lot of "Get Off My Land" undertones about walkers and cyclists and strong objections to the parking area increasing riff raff in the area. This gives me limited sympathies to the objection to be honest.

I suspect it is mainly about positioning for any eventual DV financial compensation settlement.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

A9Dan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 13:48 Inquiry sessions have now been scheduled for Tomatin to Moy over two and a half days between 27 and 29 August with a reserve day on 30 August.

There remain four statutory objections to the scheme of which two are to be dealt with by written submission. It is hoped that the objection from Network Rail can be resolved before the inquiry sessions but Mr and Mrs MacQueen of Dalmagarry Farm are maintaining an objection and wish to present oral evidence so it seem that unlike with the previous three schemes, there will be at least one inquiry/hearing session.

There are also two non-statutory objections but both of these are to be dealt with by written submissions.
Seems likely Network Rail and Farr Wind Farm will withdraw their objections prior to the inquiry sessions (if Network Rail can actually manage to properly define what their objection is first).

The F Glynne-Percy timber extraction objection I suspect won't be withdrawn so will be left for the reporter to deal with in the written submissions alongside the two non statutory objections.
paully

Post by paully »

A temporary mini-roundabout is to be installed on the mainline of the A9 as part of the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam works. Strangely, it appears to only provide access to the construction compound. My initial response is that the compound could have been located somewhere off the existing Bankfoot junction to save the need for this. I remember during the Ballinluig junction upgrade that a temporary roundabout (not mini) was installed - presumably it's the same idea as this.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... oundabout/
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

paully wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 22:51 A temporary mini-roundabout is to be installed on the mainline of the A9 as part of the Luncarty to Pass of Birnam works. Strangely, it appears to only provide access to the construction compound. My initial response is that the compound could have been located somewhere off the existing Bankfoot junction to save the need for this. I remember during the Ballinluig junction upgrade that a temporary roundabout (not mini) was installed - presumably it's the same idea as this.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... oundabout/
There isn't much room off the road at Bankfoot south, there's a visitor centre and housing between the A9 and the old A9, and a Burn next to the old A9; it's also LILO if heading south with central island blocking right turns; at the middle junction there's a decent amount of topography that would probably prevent a compound of the size seen in the picture anywhere other than next to the masts.

Looks like it's around about here:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=1b94c5b2 ... orm=S00027

What's most intresting about the picture is you can see the line of the new carriageway from the preparatory ground works
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Roundabout has been installed on the A9 at Bankfoot. It’s quite a crude wee thing as it’s a mini roundabout with A9(N)/(S) or “Quarry” as options. Bridge for the Stanley Junction is taking shape nicely.

Also have to rant about the new God Awful RCS at Carrbridge northbound. From Aviemore to Tore, there seems to be a drive for English and Gaelic on signs. It’s about 7ish Metres tall with A9, (A99) and (A835) destinations. Despise it but I might know where to get the original...
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Duncan macknight wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 18:32 Roundabout has been installed on the A9 at Bankfoot. It’s quite a crude wee thing as it’s a mini roundabout with A9(N)/(S) or “Quarry” as options. Bridge for the Stanley Junction is taking shape nicely.

Also have to rant about the new God Awful RCS at Carrbridge northbound. From Aviemore to Tore, there seems to be a drive for English and Gaelic on signs. It’s about 7ish Metres tall with A9, (A99) and (A835) destinations. Despise it but I might know where to get the original...
All new TS signs in the highlands are likely to be dual language...
Should really be Trilingual but anyway we continue to ignore the language of most of the lowlands and borders as we have since the 1650s.
But why does it "need" the (A99)? Have they signed the Dutch mins hoose?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

There are also the bilingual signs at Granish, which they made a bit of mess of by getting the panels from two of the signs mixed up, so the text is misaligned.

I don't know why any signs south of Inverness are being replaced unless they are litteraly falling to bits, since their lifespan is limited, anyway.
Nwallace wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 21:11 But why does it "need" the (A99)? Have they signed the Dutch mins hoose?
Wick is a primary destination.

There are also fairly new RCSes on the Black Isle which include Wick and John o' Groats, but without mentioning "(A99)". 🤦‍♂️
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Slightly off topic, but the Kessock Bridge, which is the subject of July's Photo Of The Month could become a listed structure and the third road bridge to receive listed status in Scotland, after the Forth Road Bridge and the Kylesku Bridge:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-48824717
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

It would be the third modern road bridge in Scotland to be listed, but there are many older bridges which are listed buildings.
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 13:40 Slightly off topic, but the Kessock Bridge, which is the subject of July's Photo Of The Month could become a listed structure and the third road bridge to receive listed status in Scotland, after the Forth Road Bridge and the Kylesku Bridge:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-48824717
Which I shared this to Sabre just yesterday. It's supposed to be quake proof for extreme weather and earthquakes though Scotland doesn't get any earthquakes.
Rachel Harper, A Scottish Vehicle Spotter and Road enthusiast in Scotland.
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

rachandsarai wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:00 Though Scotland doesn't get any earthquakes.
The British Geological Society might have something to say about that one... https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeolog ... es/UK.html
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

GrahameCase wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:41
rachandsarai wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:00 Though Scotland doesn't get any earthquakes.
The British Geological Society might have something to say about that one... https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeolog ... es/UK.html
Wow I'm surprised it does get earthquakes.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

There are unlikely to be any earthquakes severe enough to cause damage in Inverness, but the Kessock Bridge is built over the Great Glen Fault, so has buffers in the structure at the North end, which allow for some movement, should any occur.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Glen_Fault
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

Glen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:52 There are unlikely to be any earthquakes severe enough to cause damage in Inverness, but the Kessock Bridge is built over the Great Glen Fault, so has buffers in the structure at the North end, which allow for some movement, should any occur.
Never knew that but I never knew earthquakes even happened in Scotland. Hard to tell exactly when they are happening.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

From here, you can find out almost exactly when they are occurring, https://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/helicorder/heli.html
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

rachandsarai wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:53
Glen wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:52 There are unlikely to be any earthquakes severe enough to cause damage in Inverness, but the Kessock Bridge is built over the Great Glen Fault, so has buffers in the structure at the North end, which allow for some movement, should any occur.
Never knew that but I never knew earthquakes even happened in Scotland. Hard to tell exactly when they are happening.
Scotland is split by 4 major geological faults,
Surprisingly perhapse the Border runs along one of them
The Southern Upland Fault splits the Borders and Galloway from the Lowlands
The Highland Boundary Fault splits the Lowlands from the Highlands, this is what formed the "Mounth" the drastic uplift you see all along it.
The Great Glen fault splits the Highlands from the West Highlands, caithness, sutherland etc.

What's you may be realizing now is that they also separate the different historic social structures of modern scotland

There's loads of minor faults too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... f_Scotland
rachandsarai

Post by rachandsarai »

Nwallace wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 22:22
rachandsarai wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 22:53
Scotland is split by 4 major geological faults,
Surprisingly perhapse the Border runs along one of them
The Southern Upland Fault splits the Borders and Galloway from the Lowlands
The Highland Boundary Fault splits the Lowlands from the Highlands, this is what formed the "Mounth" the drastic uplift you see all along it.
The Great Glen fault splits the Highlands from the West Highlands, caithness, sutherland etc.

What's you may be realizing now is that they also separate the different historic social structures of modern scotland

There's loads of minor faults too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... f_Scotland
I did find that earlier today plus Glen sent me map which included more fault lines.
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Dalraddy to Slochd now finally with the DPEA. Considering the construction timescale for this scheme (4.5 years), it needs to start at least by mid 2021 in order to be completed in 2025. This leaves only 2 years for the PLI process plus procurement.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

From the ES chapter 5
Slochd.png
Still possible if we get Made Orders by the end of next year.