A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Norfolktolancashire

Re: A9 dualling

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Nwallace wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 22:33
B9127 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 20:00 Reply emailed today - they are still evaluating tenders - 4 in the shortlist - Farrans and Roadbridge JV , Wills Bros, Balfour Beatty and Dragados SA . Contract will be awarded late summer with a start shortly there after - that's the gist of the reply - so 2025 completion is optimistic in the extreme or the A9 will be one long road construction site
This is what we've been told to expect though.
There is going to be a lot of construction areas along the route, I think at least two or three stretches will have to be simultaneous as each will be around four/five miles long. The latest one near Aviemore took two years and there is only seven years left until 2025!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Why would that be any different to the A74 upgrade?? Much of that was unnecessary, over the moorland sections.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Berk wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 13:14 Why would that be any different to the A74 upgrade?? Much of that was unnecessary, over the moorland sections.
The A74 was a already dual carriageway so they had more space to play with.

On the A74 there were up to six contracts under construction simultaneously. There were many different combinations of where the new carriageways were located in relation to the old ones, but over most of the length the new didn't overlap the old, so on those stretches it could be done with little disruption.

Coatsgate to Harthope was a 5- or 6-mile stretch of mostly symmetric on-line widening, but they seemed to manage it with much less fuss than the recent A1 contract.

I'm not clear what you're saying was unnecessary?
Berk

Post by Berk »

wrinkly wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 14:47I'm not clear what you're saying was unnecessary?
I feel like much of the A74 was converted to D3M on principle. Much of the route is still very rural, and when you consider routes like the A1 still haven’t been dualled to the border, making one route both entirely motorway and D3M seems like overkill.

Of course, narrow lanes did exist in some places, such as Lesmahagow.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

It often feels like D3M is overkill particularly over Beattock; but when you pile into the D2 section from Abington you're soon wishing it had been upgraded too.
There have been a number of occasions where the D3 over Beattock has been very much approrpiate though; the minute you have a goods vehicle in L1, and either a slow car or a slightly faster moving Goods vehicle in L2 and you're sitting at :Cough: that 3rd lane is just perfect.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Berk wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 15:05
wrinkly wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 14:47I'm not clear what you're saying was unnecessary?
I feel like much of the A74 was converted to D3M on principle. Much of the route is still very rural, and when you consider routes like the A1 still haven’t been dualled to the border, making one route both entirely motorway and D3M seems like overkill.

The A74 dual carriageway may have been built to a relatively high standard for its time in the early and mid 1960's (ditto the A1, especially in Yorkshire) but by the mid-1980's, it was very clear that the A74 was becoming no longer fit for purpose as the main route between England and Scotland. The A74 was potentially quite dangerous as it had bus stops, farm and house accesses, and numerous at grade right turns, including a nasty crossroads with the B797 at Abington and a staggered crossroads with the A70 at Happendon.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 18:42
Berk wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 15:05

The A74 dual carriageway may have been built to a relatively high standard for its time in the early and mid 1960's (ditto the A1, especially in Yorkshire) but by the mid-1980's, it was very clear that the A74 was becoming no longer fit for purpose as the main route between England and Scotland. The A74 was potentially quite dangerous as it had bus stops, farm and house accesses, and numerous at grade right turns, including a nasty crossroads with the B797 at Abington and a staggered crossroads with the A70 at Happendon.
From memory, the D2 A74 was a busy road in the early '70s, with lanes noticeably narrower than the M6 further south and even narrower round Lesmahgow - the M74/A74(M) doesn't have the "soul" of the A74 but it's a welcome improvement.

I never felt the A9 had any "soul" but maybe I'm being to romantic.
Lifelong motorhead
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 18:54 From memory, the D2 A74 was a busy road in the early '70s, with lanes noticeably narrower than the M6 further south and even narrower round Lesmahgow - the M74/A74(M) doesn't have the "soul" of the A74 but it's a welcome improvement.

The Lesmahagow bypass on the A74 was built in the 1930's:-
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A74

From the SABRE Wiki: A74 :

The A74, despite only a fragment of it remaining under this classification in Glasgow today, is a road that is much remembered by those who used to make the great journey north (or south) along it before it was upgraded to the A74(M) during the course of the 1990s. Today, only a few yards of the original 1923 route still carry the A74 number.

The A74 begins immediately south of the George Bridge in Glasgow, at a junction with the A8. It passes

... Read More
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:05
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 18:54 From memory, the D2 A74 was a busy road in the early '70s, with lanes noticeably narrower than the M6 further south and even narrower round Lesmahgow - the M74/A74(M) doesn't have the "soul" of the A74 but it's a welcome improvement.

The Lesmahagow bypass on the A74 was built in the 1930's:-
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A74
"much remembered by those who used to make the great journey north (or south) along it before it was upgraded to the A74(M)" - I'm certainly one of those - every fortnight, I drove from Peterhead to Wolverhampton on Friday evening and back the other way on Sunday afternoon - the '70s were good for me.
Lifelong motorhead

From the SABRE Wiki: A74 :

The A74, despite only a fragment of it remaining under this classification in Glasgow today, is a road that is much remembered by those who used to make the great journey north (or south) along it before it was upgraded to the A74(M) during the course of the 1990s. Today, only a few yards of the original 1923 route still carry the A74 number.

The A74 begins immediately south of the George Bridge in Glasgow, at a junction with the A8. It passes

... Read More
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Nwallace wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 17:20 It often feels like D3M is overkill particularly over Beattock; but when you pile into the D2 section from Abington you're soon wishing it had been upgraded too.
There have been a number of occasions where the D3 over Beattock has been very much approrpiate though; the minute you have a goods vehicle in L1, and either a slow car or a slightly faster moving Goods vehicle in L2 and you're sitting at :Cough: that 3rd lane is just perfect.
As I understand it, the DBFO had the option of building the motorway as a D2 with the requirement to widen to D3 at a certain criteria.
They took the option to go straight to D3.
Interestingly, the road pavement construction thickness in Lane 3, is thinner than the other lanes because it doesn’t take heavies and was an agreed departure from Standards.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

novaecosse wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 18:44
Nwallace wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 17:20 It often feels like D3M is overkill particularly over Beattock; but when you pile into the D2 section from Abington you're soon wishing it had been upgraded too.
As I understand it, the DBFO had the option of building the motorway as a D2 with the requirement to widen to D3 at a certain criteria.
Interestingly, the road pavement construction thickness in Lane 3, is thinner than the other lanes because it doesn’t take heavies and was an agreed departure from Standards.
That's interesting, because my memory said that the surface on L3 tends to be different, and a random drop of the google maps man (ok this was the 2nd drop as the first landed me in Auchen castle...) shows lane 3 looking surface wise a lot like the hard shoulder
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.2960301 ... 312!8i6656
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

So what happens in the event of night time lane closures for resurfacing with all traffic running in lane 3?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I expect the motorway is just closed overnight in that situation and traffic uses the old road. At night there is nobody up there.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 21:56 So what happens in the event of night time lane closures for resurfacing with all traffic running in lane 3?
Then as I've witnessed in roadworks all traffic runs in lane 3. It won't be an issue short term, if it was imagine what would happen to roads like the A838....
A838laxfordbridge.jpg
Now beyond off topic... oops! :|
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

novaecosse wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 18:44 As I understand it, the DBFO had the option of building the motorway as a D2 with the requirement to widen to D3 at a certain criteria.
That's very interesting. I don't think I knew that before. I'll add it to the wiki page some time.

Of course by this time it was already D3M from J12 to Paddy's Rickle (the B7076 bridge south of the southernmost part of J14) and from J16 to the border.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Advance site clearance work on Luncarty to Pass of Birnam is due to start next week for 12 weeks.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... anagement/
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Nwallace wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 22:44
RichardB wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 21:48 Are they really arguing about woodland that's going to be fed into a biomass plant long before the building work starts anyway?
No, it's remnants of the natural Caledonian Pine forest around Birnham hill (and in various sections up the A9) and is not farmed like the neighbouring hills such as Craigvinnean with the intensive forestry operations are.

It's quite important in that damage to that is kept to a minimum as it's basically the only natural foresty left.
It's still made of wood though. The only difference is they have to find some obscure disease in the trees before they raze the lot to the ground and burn it, and they've been doing that with inconvenient trees since long before biomass was fashionable.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

RichardB wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 07:57 It's still made of wood though. The only difference is they have to find some obscure disease in the trees before they raze the lot to the ground and burn it, and they've been doing that with inconvenient trees since long before biomass was fashionable.
True, along with the ecological damage that goes with it, to the point at least 2 species that live in such woods are critically endangered.
There's also then the Shakespear link, only a few years ago there was a fair fuss about the Birnam Oak. What was it the witches open with?
owen b

Post by owen b »

I came down the A9 this morning to find that Kincraig to Dalraddy is coned down to one lane each way with a 50 limit for almost the full length of the dualled section, which has been open less than a year :( . I've just found this article https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... programme/ which states that it is to lay fibre-optic cabling. The article states : "The spokesman for the national transport agency said the ITS network was not installed in September, when the new dual carriageway opened, as it was “not critical” to its operation and it was decided to complete the works at a later date to prevent further delay to the road’s opening." Which sounds to me like the dualling works were not completed properly in the first place.
Owen
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

I can see why work was delayed on the fibre cables as the project was due to be completed in June 2017 but was pushed to September 2017. If work will be complete by 2025 we can expect this corner cutting work to get the road open. This has happened on the Queensferry crossing also remember but that was far behind schedule and needed to be opened