A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

owen b

Re: A9 dualling

Post by owen b »

Duncan macknight wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 21:28 I can see why work was delayed on the fibre cables as the project was due to be completed in June 2017 but was pushed to September 2017. If work will be complete by 2025 we can expect this corner cutting work to get the road open. This has happened on the Queensferry crossing also remember but that was far behind schedule and needed to be opened
But if you're having to cone the road down to one lane each way for eight weeks in 2018 (and in the peak holiday season at that) when you could presumably have got the work done in 2017 at the expense of the dualling opening eight weeks later (the extra work being outside of peak season in the autumn), then I don't see where the net benefit to the road users is. You're just having the dualling available for road users for eight autumn weeks extra in 2017 and eight peak season weeks less in 2018.
Owen
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

owen b wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 22:24
Duncan macknight wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 21:28 I can see why work was delayed on the fibre cables as the project was due to be completed in June 2017 but was pushed to September 2017. If work will be complete by 2025 we can expect this corner cutting work to get the road open. This has happened on the Queensferry crossing also remember but that was far behind schedule and needed to be opened
But if you're having to cone the road down to one lane each way for eight weeks in 2018 (and in the peak holiday season at that) when you could presumably have got the work done in 2017 at the expense of the dualling opening eight weeks later (the extra work being outside of peak season in the autumn), then I don't see where the net benefit to the road users is. You're just having the dualling available for road users for eight autumn weeks extra in 2017 and eight peak season weeks less in 2018.
Transport Scotland didn’t say it was to provide a benefit to road users - they said it was to avoid delaying the road’s opening. It was evidently done for political reasons, not to make things better for the public.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I'd rather just wait till projects are completed properly rather than to a certain time (assuming the delays are on the construction side of things and not planning which already takes far too long). It's a tease to get a brand new section of improved road, only to find it closed off again a few months down the line for works that should have been done during the construction phase. Presumably they've got to dig up the fresh surface to lay the cables, making it more likely that the surface will succumb to freeze-thaw far sooner than it otherwise would have?
owen b

Post by owen b »

Burns wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 19:29 I'd rather just wait till projects are completed properly rather than to a certain time (assuming the delays are on the construction side of things and not planning which already takes far too long). It's a tease to get a brand new section of improved road, only to find it closed off again a few months down the line for works that should have been done during the construction phase. Presumably they've got to dig up the fresh surface to lay the cables, making it more likely that the surface will succumb to freeze-thaw far sooner than it otherwise would have?
I agree.

I wasn't concentrating much on the works as I drove through, but I don't recall any digging up of the road surface going on. I could be wrong but I reckon the cables were being done in the central reservation and/or the verges.
Owen
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Burns wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 19:29 Presumably they've got to dig up the fresh surface to lay the cables, making it more likely that the surface will succumb to freeze-thaw far sooner than it otherwise would have?
Ducting was put in at the side of the carriageway and draw strings placed to pull the fibre through, I'd seen people continuing to work at this post opening of the dual carriageway so not sure why such lengthy lane closures are required now?

Out of interest is this purely for Transport Scotland or is there a plane to lay an improved fibre backbone as the road is dualled?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

haggishunter wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 22:59 ...Out of interest is this purely for Transport Scotland or is there a plane to lay an improved fibre backbone as the road is dualled?
You don't lay fibre optics by plane :D
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

I think its for ITS which is the intelligent transport system IIRC.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Compulsory Purchase Order for A9 Trunk Road (Tay Crossing to Ballinluig) in today’s Courier... it’s like 3 tabloid pages long...

Progress :clap:
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Burns

Post by Burns »

So, how long before we see any construction work happening around there?
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

2029 :)
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
clc

Post by clc »

Burns wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:26 So, how long before we see any construction work happening around there?
Allowing for objections, public local inquiry and procurement, perhaps 24-30 months?
Burns

Post by Burns »

clc wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:31
Burns wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 19:26 So, how long before we see any construction work happening around there?
Allowing for objections, public local inquiry and procurement, perhaps 24-30 months?
Ugh.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Now!
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... -dualling/

Except the actual road construction is still a bit off

Edit: I'm an eejit and lost the context of the question.
That's for Luncarty to the Pass of Birnham
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Finding it slightly amusing that the archaic counties are being used in the formal notices, considering they were abolished with the coming of the regions and districts.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Nwallace wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:48
Now!
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... -dualling/

Except the actual road construction is still a bit off

Edit: I'm an eejit and lost the context of the question.
That's for Luncarty to the Pass of Birnham
Moving back to Luncarty to Pass of Birnam, I bet it'll take so long for the actual road construction to start that the trees they're cutting down now will have grown back to full size again. :wink:
Euan

Post by Euan »

The Luncarty section of the A9 between Perth and Inverness is probably one of the most in need of an upgrade. Presumably this phase will be complete in around a year and a half or so? Which section is likely to be dualled next after this one?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Euan wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 08:12 The Luncarty section of the A9 between Perth and Inverness is probably one of the most in need of an upgrade. Presumably this phase will be complete in around a year and a half or so? Which section is likely to be dualled next after this one?
In a perfect world it would of been the Dunkeld bypass to be dualled next. However looking at the state of play I imagine the drumochter area would be the next section to begin and probably tomatin-Moy
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

It would have made more sense to include the second bridge over the Tay and the Dalguise junction in this scheme. This would have avoided the need for a temporary roundabout just north of the Tay crossing, and wouldn't have upset the busybodies of Dunkeld.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Duncan macknight wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 09:02
Euan wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 08:12 The Luncarty section of the A9 between Perth and Inverness is probably one of the most in need of an upgrade. Presumably this phase will be complete in around a year and a half or so? Which section is likely to be dualled next after this one?
In a perfect world it would of been the Dunkeld bypass to be dualled next. However looking at the state of play I imagine the drumochter area would be the next section to begin and probably tomatin-Moy
Killiecrankie to Bruar or Bruar to the Drumochter race track would seem the most sensible in terms of it being the longest section between dual carriageways.