A9 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B9127

Re: A9 dualling

Post by B9127 »

Re the A90(A92) - the most dangerous section in my opinion is the early dualling at Bridge of Muchalls especially when its wet
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

The A90 as built included new bypasses and converting other roads into it.

A lot of the at grade junctions had room for 1 car in the middle, if you were turning right behind someone else you were in Lane 2, if you were turning right onto it across traffic and someone was turning right off it you had a stand off in the middle of a 70mphh dualler.

As it was Laurencekirk and lochlands were two of the better junctions, now they're considered the most dangerous.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

B9127 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 19:13 Re the A90(A92) - the most dangerous section in my opinion is the early dualling at Bridge of Muchalls especially when its wet

I don't like that whole section from Dunnottar to Bridge of Dee. All those gradients and swooping curves are fine when it's quiet but in traffic and in bad weather, not so good.

There's another section further south I don't like, possibly near Stracathro, a curving section with a concrete central crash barrier. Seems to hold a lot of standing water in the wet.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Halmyre wrote:
B9127 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 19:13 Re the A90(A92) - the most dangerous section in my opinion is the early dualling at Bridge of Muchalls especially when its wet

I don't like that whole section from Dunnottar to Bridge of Dee. All those gradients and swooping curves are fine when it's quiet but in traffic and in bad weather, not so good.

There's another section further south I don't like, possibly near Stracathro, a curving section with a concrete central crash barrier. Seems to hold a lot of standing water in the wet.
Brechin bypass, built by the USAF as part of the terms of use of RAF Edzell iirc.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

B9127

Post by B9127 »

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a9- ... tion-work/ Another small step along a long road
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

The decision notices for both Pitlochry to Killiecrankie and Tomatin to Moy have been issued confirming that the orders (as modified) for both schemes should be made.

Current status of all schemes:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Inquiry sessions cancelled, report will now be prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019, the scheme now awaits Made Orders.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (November 2019).

Crubenmore to Kincraig: With DPEA, awaiting allocation to reporter.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Inquiry sessions scheduled over 5 days from 9 March.

Tomatin to Moy: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

A9Dan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 18:45 The decision notices for both Pitlochry to Killiecrankie and Tomatin to Moy have been issued confirming that the orders (as modified) for both schemes should be made.

Current status of all schemes:

Luncarty to Pass of Birnam: Under construction (started in February 2019).

Pass of Birnam to Tay Crossing: Awaiting preferred route announcement following consultation on options developed since the co-creative process.

Tay Crossing to Ballinluig: Inquiry sessions cancelled, report will now be prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Pitlochry to Killiecrankie: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.

Killiecrankie to Glen Garry: Inquiry sessions held over 2 weeks starting 13 January 2020, report now being prepared for Scottish Ministers.

Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie: Decision issued confirming orders on 31 May 2019, the scheme now awaits Made Orders.

Dalwhinnie to Crubenmore: Report issued to Scottish Ministers (November 2019).

Crubenmore to Kincraig: With DPEA, awaiting allocation to reporter.

Kincraig to Dalraddy: Completed (September 2017).

Dalraddy to Schlod: Inquiry sessions scheduled over 5 days from 9 March.

Tomatin to Moy: Decision issued confirming orders on 11 February 2020.
Does that mean that Pitlochry to Killiecrankie,
Glen Garry to Dalwhinnie and Tomatin to Moy will definitely go ahead now?
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

lotrjw wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 21:10 Does that mean that Pitlochry to Killiecrankie,
No, this is just the completion of the statutory process. Funding still needs to be secured and this will not be easy with the Greens holding the balance of power.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

A9Dan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 21:18
lotrjw wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 21:10 Does that mean that Pitlochry to Killiecrankie,
No, this is just the completion of the statutory process. Funding still needs to be secured and this will not be easy with the Greens holding the balance of power.
So are they just going to bring all the other 6 up to the awaiting made orders stage and leave them there till the Greens agree?
Berk

Post by Berk »

There are only 6 Green MSP’s, not like the 12 TD’s they have in Ireland.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

A9Dan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 21:18
I suspect that for the A9 the new Finance Secretary appointment is a positive. Kate Forbes is very unlikely to sacrifice the A9 dualling to get the budget through.

I still think there is a deal to be done with the Greens on a combination of timing / A96 dropping into a longer term aim and an expanded Highland Mainline Upgrade getting more funds in the medium term financed by the A9 timescale being stretched to 2030.

A significant chunk of redoubling the HML could get the Greens on board. I suggest Newtonmore - Kincraig as being a suitable option.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Sounds good to me. :msnthumbsup:
IAN

Post by IAN »

This could work out well for the SNP. They haven't admitted that the 2025 completion date for the A9 is unachievable but they could blame any delay onto the Greens!

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

IAN wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 23:25 This could work out well for the SNP. They haven't admitted that the 2025 completion date for the A9 is unachievable but they could blame any delay onto the Greens!

Ian (M5 Driver)
Good point!
B9127

Post by B9127 »

I am struggling to think where you could double the HML without land take - most of the doubling of the single line sections has already taken place although I believe the Viaducts at Culloden, Findhorn and Moy were built with doubling in mind for the future
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Further to my last post re HML - From the former Culloden Station to Aviemore could be double tracked as the bridges seem to have been built future proofed but the track bed after the former Daviot Station is not so about 24 miles of new track bed alongside would be required - Aviemore to Dalwhinnie would require new bridges and land take for another track as the bridges are all constructed for single track - Dalwhinnie to Blair Atholl is currently double track - Blair Atoll to Stanely would require a complete reconstruct - bus replacement service for 20 years anyone?
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

B9127 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 17:07 I am struggling to think where you could double the HML without land take - most of the doubling of the single line sections has already taken place although I believe the Viaducts at Culloden, Findhorn and Moy were built with doubling in mind for the future
Culloden Viaduct opened as double track and ran as far as Daviot
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

A small update on L to B, a stretch of the new carriageway Opened on Wednesday at the Luncarty end so work can begin on the existing carriageway
A9Dan

Post by A9Dan »

Two statutory objectors to Dalraddy to Slochd have made very late reqeusts to appear at inquiry sessions. Due to lateness these requests, a second set of inquiry sessions will need to be held and these will not be until May at the earliest. A pre-inquiry meeting for this will be held on 11 March. I wonder if the reporter will be able to start work on the parts of the report covered in the March sessions, reducing the overall delay caused by having to hold a second set of inquiry sessions.
Mikehannah

Post by Mikehannah »

There are more than the Greens in parliament and it is time that the other parties stopped futile point scoring and adopted a more pragmatic approach to the Scottish budget. Getting some of their agenda progressed is better than none. By voting against the Scottish budget may let the Labour, Tory and Lib Dem claim the moral high ground but let’s the Greens in, to dictate an even more narrow minded, short sighted agenda.

As a regular traveller on the A96 and A9. Dualling the A96 it is just as big a priority as the A9, in some respects even more , as the volume of traffic going through The towns and villages on the route is neither safe or healthy!!